PDA

View Full Version : mud maps

madchris
16th February 2012, 09:42 AM
just found this new app for i phone got it for 59.99 lol 60 bucks and love it have a look ill never go back this has it all in one and off the ph ..................http://www.mud-maps.com/apps-features..............hope you like it as much as i do :049:

rottodiver
16th February 2012, 10:54 AM
looks pretty cool...thanks for that...

http://www.mud-maps.com/apps-features

here is a copy of the link as madchris's link included the ...............hope lol

Scotty

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 10:59 AM
Have you used it yet mate? I downloaded the free version to have a burl at it, and it didn't blow my socks off - appreciate that could be coz its just the freebie, but you think they'd make that decent enough that people would fork out for the full version?

Let us know how you go with it - any updates would be greatly appreciated.

oncedisturbed
16th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Mud map is awesome, buying map packs me it more expensive and cany use it on ipad.

If you buy the vms app, it has all the ones you can buy for mudmap already included and can use on both ipd, iphone and ipad. Maps are the same and smarttopo is the dux nutz. Vms is $200 which in the long run is cheaper than mud maps after you buy all the map packs

BearGUST
16th February 2012, 04:53 PM
I've got the VMS app too (got it when it was on special for $150, and used itunes vouchers which I bought at discount so worked out pretty good value).
It's very handy to have it on ipad and iphone, use it regularly.

Mazodude
16th February 2012, 05:33 PM
is there anything for android?

oncedisturbed
16th February 2012, 06:14 PM
Ozi explorer is coming for android, beta version is around $30 from memory, a lot of others use androzoic (think thats how its spelt) never used it so have no idea what its like

macca86
16th February 2012, 06:38 PM
how much is the download costs to use the app though?

AB
16th February 2012, 08:34 PM
I guess it would be based on the bandwidth usage and you would need to have phone reception.

I have the mudmap and use it a bit but I find it hard to use because you can't zoom out to see the area only a close up view of the track your on which makes it difficult to plot or to plan ahead.

Having saying that It's great to find out what track you are actually on if you get a bit lost....I still use the hardcopy A2 maps...lol

oncedisturbed
16th February 2012, 08:45 PM
There are no costs to use the map app at all, only data usage when you first download app and maps. From there, there is no data usage at all as the maps are stored directly on the phone and use its internal gps even when you have no service so it will work in the middle of nowhere and still find tour way round even if tou cant make a call

Clunk
16th February 2012, 11:09 PM

There's Androzic for android I've downloaded it but have yet to learn to use it properly.

taslucas
17th February 2012, 10:52 AM
There's Androzic for android I've downloaded it but have yet to learn to use it properly.

Well ya better get to work and let us know how it goes! Lol
Only problem with phones is the reception.
I decided to go down the path of android , I really don't go much on the Apple empire!

Clunk
17th February 2012, 11:06 AM
Well ya better get to work and let us know how it goes! Lol
Only problem with phones is the reception.
I decided to go down the path of android , I really don't go much on the Apple empire!

No nor me, I bought a Motorola Xoom tablet to use as a gps in the car...... Works a treat but the operator of said device doesn't lol

taslucas
17th February 2012, 11:31 AM
No nor me, I bought a Motorola Xoom tablet to use as a gps in the car...... Works a treat but the operator of said device doesn't lol

Cant win them all. Haha

oncedisturbed
18th February 2012, 01:14 PM
I put VMS on the Ipad and is compatible to Iphone and some Ipods, it's good because you can use the different size screens etc for different things. Iphone /Ipod if you only want to use a small screen on road gps (doesn't stop you with the Ipad either) and then the Ipad for bigger view of the area you are wheeling in which is what I have done.

I always have paper maps with me as well.

taslucas
18th February 2012, 01:23 PM
I put VMS on the Ipad and is compatible to Iphone and some Ipods, it's good because you can use the different size screens etc for different things. Iphone /Ipod if you only want to use a small screen on road gps (doesn't stop you with the Ipad either) and then the Ipad for bigger view of the area you are wheeling in which is what I have done.

I always have paper maps with me as well.

Do you ever have any problems with phone reception? Thats the big problem here. As soon as you move away from the built up areas, the reception is really bad :(

Clunk
18th February 2012, 10:46 PM
Do you ever have any problems with phone reception? Thats the big problem here. As soon as you move away from the built up areas, the reception is really bad :(

Shouldn't need phone reception if your phone is gps enable

oncedisturbed
19th February 2012, 11:06 AM

As clunk71 mentioned, don't need phone reception for it to work, it works off the internal 3g processor.

Same with the Ipad, as long as it has 3g, all good. Doesn't use the sim card (if you have 1 running in it) to work.

I am in Quinns Rocks north of Perth and phone service is crap, and the map apps work fine.

taslucas
19th February 2012, 07:29 PM
Shouldn't need phone reception if your phone is gps enable

As clunk71 mentioned, don't need phone reception for it to work, it works off the internal 3g processor.

Same with the Ipad, as long as it has 3g, all good. Doesn't use the sim card (if you have 1 running in it) to work.

I am in Quinns Rocks north of Perth and phone service is crap, and the map apps work fine.

ahhhhh ofcourse! Ill give it a test.

BearGUST
20th February 2012, 11:44 AM
Thats the beauty of them, the maps are loaded onto your iphone/ipad so you don't need reception.
I got given the ipad which doesnt have 3G but have bought a bluetooth GPS receiver which works great.
At the moment I'm using the ipad with VMS as well as my Navman with Hema maps, I'm deciding which works best...
The Navman is handy cos I've got a reverse camera hooked up, if I can sort that out on the ipad I'll just use that.

oncedisturbed
20th February 2012, 11:55 AM
I dont think you can get a reverse camera for the ipad, could be wrong though. I did find a website yesterday that did reverse cameras and screens from 2" upto 7" rediculously cheap, will try find the link again. I know the ipad can get linked with an hdmi or composite cable (gorget which 1) so there may be an option to look at for cameras, will do some more hunting around

oncedisturbed
20th February 2012, 12:11 PM
H'okay, turns out at this stage you can only use an ipcctv camera and host it via a server them live feed to the ipad etc - way too much stuffing around and data usage, safer to get a small dedicated set

HammerBuilder
22nd March 2012, 06:33 PM

Yep I use mud maps on my HTC Desire HD using the Android software seems to work fine & after you buy the full maps even better quality than the free version, pretty good although I haven't tried out the VMS 1 yet to compare...