PDA

View Full Version : replacement seats

voodoorick
16th February 2012, 03:55 AM
Gday all
just thinking about replacing the stock seats in my GQ shorty. so does anyone know off a straight swap that can be done with out to much stuffing around?

Cheers

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 08:14 AM
Don't know of any aftermarket straight swaps mate - as no one does aftermarket bolt on rails with their seats (which makes sense I guess so they can be fitted to multitudes of different cars).

Here is some stuffing around to be done, but something I'm not far off doing also. I'll definitely be getting mine engineered also - starting to attract too much attention!

macca
16th February 2012, 09:06 AM
Got hold of some 2nd hand Recaros for a song, then paid too much for the base that is vehicle specific.
They did bolt straight in with no fiddling to make them fit, and it could be engineered with no problems.
Not a cheap method but it is built to do the job, dont know if other seats fit these bases.

97_gq_lwb
16th February 2012, 09:23 AM
One thing i have been considering myself .
I have seen holden seats fitted but you wouldn't want them they use really poor quality material that wears out quick enough in a holden.
Although some of the vs statesman style cloth seats were fairly durable i haven't come across anything else that would last.

I have also seen skyline seats in them wich look great but the high sides and the 4wd probably aren't a good good combo either i can see the padding wearing real quick.
One alternative i am considering are 94 mazda 626 tx5 telstar seats they are durable seats rarely see them worn and don't have high sides just haven't got around to measuring them up.

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 11:03 AM
One thing i have been considering myself .
I have seen holden seats fitted but you wouldn't want them they use really poor quality material that wears out quick enough in a holden.
Although some of the vs statesman style cloth seats were fairly durable i haven't come across anything else that would last.

I have also seen skyline seats in them wich look great but the high sides and the 4wd probably aren't a good good combo either i can see the padding wearing real quick.
One alternative i am considering are 94 mazda 626 tx5 telstar seats they are durable seats rarely see them worn and don't have high sides just haven't got around to measuring them up.

Be more than interested to see how you go with the Telstar/626 seats mate!!

Ben-e-boy
16th February 2012, 11:08 AM
I have leather recaros, I just bolted them to the original seat frame using original bolts no need for engineering

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 12:18 PM
I have leather recaros, I just bolted them to the original seat frame using original bolts no need for engineering

Seriously?? I'll definitely be checking them out when we catch up ... would they fit my barge @rse in them?? lmao

macca
16th February 2012, 12:21 PM

Ben are you saying if you use all the origional fixings they are ok without engineering, be good if that is the case.

DX grunt
16th February 2012, 12:48 PM
Just googled ricaro and there are too many options.

What are the best type of Ricaro to get.

Electric/non electric, I'm confused about the whole thing, but different seats would be good.

The only thing is my compliance place says 3 seats, so I'm guessing it'll have to go over the pits and a modification plate fitted?

cokeholic
16th February 2012, 06:40 PM
I bought a full electric leather set of seats off ebay a couple of weeks ago with a worn drivers seat where they all wear out took it off to get the leather panel replaced and a lot of extra bolstering done on the back and the base to give it a sports seat feel for $250.00 not bad i reakon will go in when i replace carpet when the one who must be obyed lets me back out in the garage

Ben-e-boy
16th February 2012, 08:02 PM
Seriously?? I'll definitely be checking them out when we catch up ... would they fit my barge @rse in them?? lmao

you have seen them they were the very first mod I did.

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 08:03 PM
you have seen them they were the very first mod I did.

I obviously took no notice!!!! lmao!!!

Ben-e-boy
16th February 2012, 08:05 PM
Ben are you saying if you use all the origional fixings they are ok without engineering, be good if that is the case.

I am under the impression that if you change the actual frame it needed to be engineered, happy to be wrong though. I used the original bolts and frames because I didnt need to change them. My seats have been in a vl dunnydore, a fiat 131, 2 tx3 lasers and my patrol. I got them second hand of my cousin