PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rag Track

Rossco
15th February 2012, 11:47 PM
I was lucky enough to get up to the Mount Hotham area last weekend and snuck in a little bash along the infamous Blue Rag Track. This track is ragarded as one of the most scenic tracks in the Vic High Country, however unfortunatly most of the track was covered in cloud but was still very beutifull with the burnt snowgums through the fog and glimses of mountain and valley views throgh the cloud.

From Blue Rag Trig Point we continued on the track down to the Wongungarra river which is a 1200 meter decent in nine kilometers. This track was awsome, a litte rogher than Blue Rag but more remote and away from the tourists! It was a little greasy from the previous days storms but not too bad, however I wouldn't advise attempting this track without mud terrains in all but dry conditions. This track is a dead end and ends at a beuitfull camp spot on the river just after crossing it. Unfortunatly work beconed but it would have been a great camping spot.

Rossco
16th February 2012, 12:01 AM
Continued. . . After climbing back up from the sunny valley, hoping for the cloud to have cleared and reveal spectacular views, . . . . It haddn't. But it was a good fun climb and definetly a track worth doing.

Time to Air Up and head home. :frown::frown:

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 08:31 AM
Nice snaps mate!!! Seriously have to get to the high country in Vic one of these days.

Thanks for sharing!!!

AB
16th February 2012, 11:37 AM
Good stuff Rossco, wish I was there mate looks like a ripper drive!

taslucas
16th February 2012, 01:31 PM
The couple of pics that loaded up for me on crappa look great. I will check out the rest on the laptop later. Cheers rossco:-)

bordertech
10th April 2012, 02:08 AM
Nice pics Rosco, makes me want to move to Vic

Gilbert
14th April 2012, 04:46 PM
Great photos and looks like a beauty drive. Thanks for sharing.

megatexture
17th April 2012, 10:11 AM
great shots mate we are planning a trip to Vic high country for this xmas for 2-3 weeks (depends on wife’s time off) cant bloody wait!.

The worst part about planning is knowing how long a track will take its difficult to estimate

are there any must see spots you can reccomend or tracks that are chalenging/scenic

AB
17th April 2012, 10:40 AM
You got to see Craig's hut mate, beautiful scenery and a nice drive up there too. Are you taking the camper?

Be careful what tracks you take with the camper. I took mine on some medium tracks and you wouldn't want to get stuck in some of the tight areas thats for sure.

I recommend setting up camp at a good hut and doing day trips from there. King Hut is a good one to set up and voyage out from there.

megatexture
17th April 2012, 11:03 AM
cheers ab yea will be taking the camper, cheers for the tip also theres alot to try and see. last trip we did to alice and east mcdonald/west ranges we did 9000km+ in 3 weeks so were hopeing to slow it down a little and see more sights( the wife that is i could drive all day:icon_driving:) got a little one now also so will have to stop for her also. so we are wanting to get in the best tracks/ sights possible

deleonmaximo
1st May 2012, 04:25 AM
nice patrol..

olmav
5th March 2013, 07:15 PM
beutiful bit of road love that it runs along that ridge

lylegillan
19th May 2013, 05:02 PM
nice pics, looks like a nice track.

Hodge
20th May 2013, 06:10 PM
Awesome photos, as always Blue rag doesn't fail to impress, even in clouds! This is #1 on my to do list, once i get my trol this weekend. Knowing my luck it'll be shut by the time I get up there, and I'll have to wait till November. lol

Drewboyaus
20th May 2013, 09:48 PM
It's actually been graded flat a month or two ago.....need to give it a couple of years before its back to its old self.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Hodge
17th November 2013, 09:41 PM
Thread resurrection time!
Sorry for bringing this up, from long lost depths...
But I need to ask, does anybody here know anything about whether this track has been opened this season and/or what condition it is in? Potential for a trip up there has opened up with a family friend, and that being my #1 to do spot, I'd hate to miss out. But, some surface searching on the interweb gives mixed answers. Some say closed, some say open but impassable, others say it's graded, open and easily doable since long weekend opening... This track is a deal-breaker for this trip, and it's status dictates whether we go up there or somewhere else.
Any info will be appreciated.

Winnie
17th November 2013, 09:51 PM
It was definitely graded, I read a magazine published by 4WD Victoria about it, sounded like it is open to me. I am doing a trip there just before Christmas.

Drewboyaus
17th November 2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah mate, should be open following the long weekend.
The top bit was graded flat earlier this year mate so no more rock ledges for a few years 'till it weathers again. Easily passable in a Ford Territory (joking, sort of) at the moment.......not that it was particularly hard in the first instance.
Check the Parks Victoria website. That has all the good oil on track closures.
I would be VERY surprised if it was closed.

Hodge
18th November 2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys. I knew it was graded, as per some earlier posts in this thread. But some other forums people are saying it's closed due to trees down everywhere after the storms few months back.
Will check the parks vic site. I always forget that.