PDA

View Full Version : KING HUT REOPENS - Vic High Country

belzi82
15th February 2012, 12:28 PM
Following a combined effort by Parks Victoria, the Victorian High Country Huts Association
(VHCHA), Mansfield Shire Council and 4WD Victoria, King Hut has been rebuilt and was
officially opened on Wednesday 18 January 2012.
King Hut, is located on the King River, around 45kms south-east of Mansfield in the Alpine
National Park, was considered an important part of the Alpine area because of its heritage.
Numerous generations of the McCormack, Hearn, Gough and Ross families used it for many
years.
After an unattended fire within the hut in July 2008 burnt it beyond repair a working group was
established to rebuild it. King Hut restoration works were undertaken throughout 2011 and
included clearing of grounds, digging post holes, and rebuilding the chimney stonework, leading
up to the actual construction of the hut. Over 600 volunteer hours were put in to complete the
rebuild during 2011.
Parks Victoria Ranger-in-Charge at Mansfield for the King-Howqua Unit, Bart Smith said “a
great deal of planning was undertaken over the past two years to ensure the ‘working bee’
operations for the reconstruction of King Hut would be conducted as efficiently as possible”.
“We were delighted to see such a great turnout at all the working bees, and without all of the
volunteers from the VHCHA, interested family groups, a handful of enthusiastic locals, Mansfield
Shire, Wangaratta 4WD Club, CFA 4WD Club, and 4WD Victoria, we would not have been able
to complete the King Hut restoration project,” said Bart Smith.
The President of the VHCHA, Ken Birch said, “That out of the ashes came the desire to rebuild
King River Hut, and now after hundreds of hours of hard work by our countless volunteers, King
Hut is now rebuilt for all to enjoy. To work in partnership with Parks Victoria and 4WD Victoria
again to recreate yet another classic cattleman's hut was a pleasure for the VHCHA. Now all
we want is for visitors to come and explore the high country, and admire the handiwork of all
involved in the rebuild of King Hut.”
There are over 80 huts in the Alpine National Park and many of the rebuilds have involved the
partnership with the VHCHA. King Hut is the tenth hut to be rebuilt in the Alpine National Park
over the last eight years recognising cultural associations and refuge needs of those huts lost to
fire.

Sir Roofy
15th February 2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info bel handy to know if caught out some time up there

Bob
15th February 2012, 02:19 PM
As one who has camped in and around the King Hut many times over the years it is great to see that it has been rebuilt.
Many a night has been spent there telling tall and true stories and having the occasional Beer

AB
15th February 2012, 02:38 PM
I can see another forum meet up in the making...LMAO

Timbo
15th February 2012, 02:50 PM
I was about to say the same thing.. that would be an awesome trip! Love the high country.

Bob
15th February 2012, 02:53 PM

I was about to say the same thing.. that would be an awesome trip! Love the high country.

If someone twists my Arm (The Good One) I could be interested RAFLMAO

belzi82
15th February 2012, 05:23 PM

Yeah me too, I might have to organise another one and this time hope the weather is nicer!

Russell1974
15th February 2012, 10:31 PM
O stop it it's hurting ok ok I will come need to get out again

Bob
16th February 2012, 08:57 AM
Pic of the old King Hut and the Rebuilt Hut

Bob
16th February 2012, 10:35 AM
A Watercolour of King Hut done by our Friend Kathleen from Scotland
You will notice a Patrol(Mine) to the Left hand side of the Hut.It was originally parked further to the foreground however Kathleen moved it out of the way when doing the Watercolour

Maxhead
17th February 2012, 06:08 AM
When is the meet up Bel???

belzi82
17th February 2012, 09:18 AM
When is the meet up Bel???

um I am busy right up until end of April and I think maybe warmer weather, because the rain become annoying last time, so maybe later on in the year. Unless people want to go in May or June