PDA

View Full Version : ATF Overflow

risderf
8th September 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi. Could anyone help me know why automatic transmission fluid is being pushed against the pump's cap and eventually overflow? I am wondering why such thing happens whenever I turn on the engine. Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

YNOT
8th September 2010, 04:30 PM
Make sure your transmission fluid is not over full, and the transmission breather is not blocked. Also check your oil cooler lines and transmission cooler cooler are not damaged, kinked or blocked. There isn't much else you can check yourself.

Tony

risderf
10th January 2011, 04:02 PM
Hi Sir Tony,

I am referring to the power steering pump reservoir. I am having this problem since I bought mine, a GQ 1998 bubble top. I am not sure if there is a breather in the power steering system. I am wondering what causes the pressure build up and foaming of the automatic transmission fluid (atf) inside the pump reservoir that eventually pushes the fluid itself out of the pressure cap/cover. Atf is thrown all over the engine bay whenever the engine is on. The engine is now messy and am afraid that the same might cause further problems. Please enlighten me on this, thank you, Sir

Fred

YNOT
10th January 2011, 04:24 PM
I have not come across this fault before so I'm scratching my head with this one. Does the power steering otherwise work normally, normal power assistance and no shuddering etc?

From what you have described I would suspect either a faulty pump or contaminated/incorrect fluid. The first thing I would do is flush the fluid and replace it. Drain as much fluid as you can by removing one or both of the hydraulic lines on the steering box and let it drain. While it's draining turn the steering slowly from lock to lock to get as much fluid as possible out of the box. Do all of this with the engine off.
After you have drained it refill it with the correct type and grade fluid and bleed the system. You may need to do the flush a second time to remove all (or as close to) of the old fluid. See what difference that makes.

Tony

risderf
10th January 2011, 04:48 PM
The power was gone for a while but is now restored, the power loss was remedied by tightening the outlet bolt line-the one transferring the fluid to the power steering gear assembly. However, as to the old problem of atf foaming and pressure build up inside the pump reservoir, the same remains. By the way, I am using Dextron III ATF since this one is the recommended fluid based on the GQ manual. I will try your recommendation. Thanks for the insights.

risderf
10th January 2011, 05:06 PM
Do you think I should acquire a new power steering pump? Just in case, how will I know what is the right one that will fit in and will function perfectly?

YNOT
10th January 2011, 05:47 PM
I would replace the fluid first. Even if it does not fix the problem it will be much better for a new pump to operate in a system that has been flushed with new clean fluid.

I'll check when I get home but my manual specifies dexron II fluid, which is different to dexron III.

I don't know how your auto parts places work, but over here we tell them what make and model we have and their parts lists will specify the correct part for that model.

Tony

Sir Roofy
10th January 2011, 10:13 PM
sounds a bit like the system is sucking in air,power steering might need bleeding

roofy

risderf
11th January 2011, 02:42 PM
sounds a bit like the system is sucking in air,power steering might need bleeding

roofy

Hi, likewise think so. I already checked the system but found no leak. Where could it be possibly coming from? I'll check it again for any loose tube fittings.

Fred

Sir Roofy
11th January 2011, 05:21 PM
depends how old your oil lines are
you mihgt need to replace both in and out lines
from the stearing box,maybe sucking air where
they are crimped

roofy

risderf
31st January 2011, 01:48 PM
I would replace the fluid first. Even if it does not fix the problem it will be much better for a new pump to operate in a system that has been flushed with new clean fluid.

I'll check when I get home but my manual specifies dexron II fluid, which is different to dexron III.

I don't know how your auto parts places work, but over here we tell them what make and model we have and their parts lists will specify the correct part for that model.

Tony

Good day Sir,

Just decided to replace the old pump. You are correct, the inside mechanism of the pump itself is defective. Thank you so much for the insights. Those recommendations are truly inspiring.

Fred

risderf
31st January 2011, 01:49 PM
depends how old your oil lines are
you mihgt need to replace both in and out lines
from the stearing box,maybe sucking air where
they are crimped

roofy

Hello Sir,

I already replaced the old pump and its hydraulic lines. I found out that the pump itself is defective. Thanks for the advice!

Fred