PDA

View Full Version : GQ Upgrades and mods

antiskeptic
13th February 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi all, was just wondering what people have done to thier GQ's interior and exterior to jazz them up or make more modern? Eg...stero... interior lighting, dials etc...

Just collecting some ideas to make my daily and bush ride alot more comfortable and modern...

cheers

YNOT
13th February 2012, 11:38 PM
A comfortable pair of seats goes a long way, as does a decent stereo. UHF radio is a useful addition, mounting it in a roof pod gets it up out of the way.

Tony

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 08:31 AM
LED lights throughout interior: 7" LCD stereo with Bluetooth, GPS, iPod player etc; new seats are planned for driver and passenger; new AutoTechnica steering wheel (although coming out as its not ADR10 compliant); LED strip lighting to all door entrances ...

Doesn't modernise it as such but bought it a little closer to the modern age.

YNOT
14th February 2012, 09:03 AM
LED lights throughout interior: 7" LCD stereo with Bluetooth, GPS, iPod player etc; new seats are planned for driver and passenger; new AutoTechnica steering wheel (although coming out as its not ADR10 compliant); LED strip lighting to all door entrances ...

Doesn't modernise it as such but bought it a little closer to the modern age.

What will you be replacing the steering wheel with - obviously another steering wheel but what make/model?

Tony

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 09:07 AM
What will you be replacing the steering wheel with - obviously another steering wheel but what make/model?

Tony

Probably SAAS or OBE - only ones that do an ADR10 compliant after market wheel as far as I can find ... strange as I rang DOT and the guy there (on the number provided in the modifications guideline document specifically under the steering wheel section) didn't have a clue and told me to ring the manufacturers!!! No joke!!! You try to do the right thing and constantly get the run around and then police wonder why people get the sh!ts on when they stop and hassle you for it ...

I don't really want a standard wheel, so will keep hunting and if I find one, I'll post it up ...

By the way, it's ADR69 for airbag compliant wheels.

Silver
14th February 2012, 11:51 AM
G'day BigRig,

The Autotechnica looks like a nice wheel in your rig.

Shame you ran into this issue after going to so much trouble and expense to get the right diameter etc.

The law is the law, and according to Dickens, who's birthday it was last week, is also ' a ass!!' but I wonder how relevant centre padding is in these days of seat belts and collapsible steering columns. Maybe despite seat belts, heads and body parts come in contact with that part of the wheel.

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 01:53 PM
G'day BigRig,

The Autotechnica looks like a nice wheel in your rig.

Shame you ran into this issue after going to so much trouble and expense to get the right diameter etc.

The law is the law, and according to Dickens, who's birthday it was last week, is also ' a ass!!' but I wonder how relevant centre padding is in these days of seat belts and collapsible steering columns. Maybe despite seat belts, heads and body parts come in contact with that part of the wheel.

Agreed mate - funny part is, my old wheel isn't padded - its a bloody stiff piece of hard plastic that covers the centre, that's apparently ok???? What the???

I fully appreciate the law and hence I'm swapping (for the third time) but it is a bit ridiculous from a general 'common sense' approach ... it's called common sense, but it isn't that common at all unfortunately ...

Xfactor
14th February 2012, 10:13 PM
what about a pulsar wheel ... supposed to fit on and smaller diameter?

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 10:19 PM
what about a pulsar wheel ... supposed to fit on and smaller diameter?

Don't want smaller mate - too hard to steer off road, and blocks the dash cluster ...

Want something around 380mm and starting to think I need an original wheel - not having much luck so far.

Dmitrijs_Riga
15th February 2012, 12:17 AM
Good thread :)
I have big plans for this summer in terms of modding my GQ :) New seats, new wheel, etc. But first of all I wan to have all stock goodies that my UN wagon never had from it's birth. Can you share what features you have by default ? Like |fasten your seat belt" sign, reading light for driver/passenger, compass, some extra indicators, etc ? Can you please share ?
I am interested right now in what was the difference between front wipers switch ? I have only two positions - Off, normal speed and speed. If i remove this switch and put with that has pause ? will it work ? Thank you, Dmitrijs

bad055
1st November 2012, 08:15 PM
I had to replace my steering wheel for rwc, the place i got the rwc was also a wreckers so i just went and pulled off 4 different nissan wheels from different models and they all fitted. i picked the best looking 1 and it only cost me $20. and it looks like it was sposed to be there. just go to a wreckers and try them.

damaverick
9th June 2013, 04:12 PM
Mods/upgrades that have been done on mine (not all were done by me):
- LPG dual fuel conversion
- Alarm/keyless entry
- dual batteries
- Nardi steering wheel
- Stereo head unit and front speakers
- custom bar work
- LED interior light and LED reverse lights
- upgraded ignition coil
- rubber floor mats
- upgraded rear barn doorstay to GU type (now the barn door does not close by itself when the car is on an angle!)
- chrome front grille
- 15" sunraiser rims with 35" rubber
- total 5” lift

I have also serviced the beast thoroughly.

Future mods I have planned:
- Leather front seats
- dual tone horn (my horn isn't working at the moment)
- possible respray
- roof racks
- upgrade brake calipers, rotors, pads and braided brake lines

GQ TANK
26th June 2013, 11:44 PM
I have similar mods as per damaverick

-winch
- Snorkel
-full length rack
- cargo barrier (ex EF ford wagon)
- Home made draws
- drop down table on the big rear door
- rear work light - I used a solid rod on an angle welded to the rear wheel carrierand a ebay 4 led light
- pertonics ignition and rt40 coil
- uhf cb
- LPG
- lift
- rims painted a matching green to my body

The best mode - is the Alarm/keyless entry - that automatically winds the power windows up when I lock the truck

benji873
9th September 2013, 08:41 PM
The best mode - is the Alarm/keyless entry - that automatically winds the power windows up when I lock the truck

Whereabouts did you pick that up from mate? sounds good, do you mind if i ask how much/was it an easy install?

Benji

GQ TANK
5th October 2013, 08:51 PM
The window power up mod is part of the stinger alarm setup that was fitted ti the truck when I brought it.
o