PDA

View Full Version : Help! Strange place to find ball bearing!!!

PT Paul
13th February 2012, 12:01 PM
Changing oil today (TB42efi) and I found a ball bearing sitting inside the lip of where the oil filter goes. Dont know what that place is called but it's inside the O ring and outside the threaded bit. The BB is about 1/4 inch. Any ideas?

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2012, 12:04 PM
Yep.....Your lucky you found it ;)

sorry got nothing else. Any pics?

PT Paul
13th February 2012, 12:12 PM
Could it come from an old repair? There's nothing notably wrong with the way the engine runs. Sounds normal, oil pressure normal, temp normal.

97_gq_lwb
13th February 2012, 12:14 PM
It's not an anti drain back valve of some sort is it.

PT Paul
13th February 2012, 12:27 PM
Hope not. Where it was it wasn't stopping anything. Just sitting there.

AB
13th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a bearing inside the thread further back for the oil pressure regulator?

Would love to see some photos mate?

thomas.h
17th February 2012, 03:59 PM
its probably from the pressure relief valve within the filter housing itself best thing to do is if its the external oil pump/ filter housing is to remove it and get it checked at your local reco shop give them a call first ask them what they think but thats just my 2 cents

Robo
18th February 2012, 02:47 AM
I don't think it from the relief pressure valve.
I replaced my valve and from memory I think it's closer to 10mm bearing.
If I'm wrong it's around $20 from nissan.
The tube is part of valve so if it's broken then tube has to come out also.
And new tube pressed / tapped in.
Any way that valve is visible when oil filter is removed.

Anti drain, is a rubber flap across the holes that run around the outer circle of filter.
and that's if your filter has it fitted, some cheaper may not.
The only thing I can think of is its a valve from inside oil pump, but I haven't pulled one down to know for sure if a bearing that size exists in oil pump, just a guess

Cheers

97_gq_lwb
18th February 2012, 02:57 PM
I was reading the manual today and noticed in the oil pump section it had what looked like it could be a ball bearing in the oil cooler return or pressure or something along those lines