PDA

View Full Version : wynen

wynen
8th September 2010, 11:09 AM
Hi
My 1993 WG Y60 Nissan patrol which had new head fitted 18 mths ago continues to use 300/400 ML of water, pushes into overflow but doesnt return it when engine cools. limped home yesterday bad miss petrol or gas No 6 plug for second time in last few mths internal insulator cracked. Any body had this problem in relation to water in cylinder due to head problems.

On basis i may have a cylinder head problem suggestions best course of action new head. recon this one. On general nissan web sites some discussion of possible cast iron head ?

Any suggestions on best cylinder head exray and repair firm also appreciated.

I am in WA but if i have to do a cylinder head job i would freight it east if thats the best wa to go.

Peter

YNOT
8th September 2010, 11:46 AM
Water getting pushed into the overflow bottle but not returning could be a radiator cap fault, or a distorted recess that the cap sits in, causing the cap not to seal.
If the head has been repaired before and you're still having problems then it probably is a good idea investigating getting a new head. Check the block deck for flatness when the head is off.
I've not heard of a cast iron head for TB42.

Tony

patch697
8th September 2010, 12:28 PM
Water getting pushed into the overflow bottle but not returning could be a radiator cap fault, or a distorted recess that the cap sits in, causing the cap not to seal.
If the head has been repaired before and you're still having problems then it probably is a good idea investigating getting a new head. Check the block deck for flatness when the head is off.
I've not heard of a cast iron head for TB42.

Tony

Agreed............ Also some after market radiator caps don't do there job to well either, I've found this on a number of occasions.

As for that number 6 plug problem? Thats a new one for me but it needs further investigation as its a reoccurring issue.

Get it compression tested & see how number 6 cylinder compares to the other 5 cylinders, This may be the cylinder in which you have a head or gasket problem, if you have one at all that is?

Also something to check which can be an indication of water getting into a cylinder is the color of the plug. if you were to remove the plugs & one stands out by looking much cleaner than the others, this can indicate water getting into the cylinder. However this may not help you at this point as your number 6 plug is not the same age as your other plugs so it hard to compare, Something to keep in mind though.

Cheers
Paul

wynen
9th September 2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks Guys.
Cylinder head was supposed to be new exchange from nissan fitted by previous owner. Rang his mechanic to confirm.
My gas guy claims any air getting in to the system will stop suction from radiator. Think best thing to do is let it develop if no 6 plugs fails again take it further.
No sign of overheating condensate out of exhaust on cold start is clear water no sign of coolant. Peter

patch697
9th September 2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks Guys.
Cylinder head was supposed to be new exchange from nissan fitted by previous owner. Rang his mechanic to confirm.
My gas guy claims any air getting in to the system will stop suction from radiator. Think best thing to do is let it develop if no 6 plugs fails again take it further.
No sign of overheating condensate out of exhaust on cold start is clear water no sign of coolant. Peter

All good signs Peter...... Keep us posted.

Cheers
Paul