PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox doesn't match compliance plate - FS5R50B gearbox matched to an RD28 motor

Nosh73
12th February 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi all,
Have been having trouble with occasionally slipping 3rd and 5th gears in my manual 07/98 GU 2.8 Patrol. Before I can set about ticking the boxes discounting the obvious things it won't be (engine mounts/ lever socket etc) - then ordering in a rebuilt/ 2nd hand trans to replace it, I wanted to check if others had found that some 2.8's came with the FS5R50B, rather than the FS5R30A?
Having a look under it clearly looks like the 50B, but earlier forums and the compliance plate say the 2.8 is always matched to the 30A. I know nothing about Patrol's and will not do any of the hard work myself, but any feedback will help as I'll have to probably order parts in for a mechanic to fit- living remotely means you can't simply drive back to the shop to exchange something!

Thanks all.

NissanGQ4.2
12th February 2012, 02:40 PM
Not sure on that one mate

But, Never assume anything .

Always check the plate on the gearbox itself. Even using the Nissan Fast Software it says "Confirm the unit assembly by the plate name" *L*

Cheers

Todd

YNOT
12th February 2012, 03:09 PM
Not sure about the FS5R50B but the FS5R50A is the big cast iron case gearbox fitted behind the bigger engines. As far as I know all RD28's were fitted to the smaller alloy case boxes.

Tony

Nosh73
13th February 2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for your tips, will have another look at it this weekend.

Robo
18th February 2012, 02:12 AM
What do you mean slipping 3rd and 5th !.a manual slip.
Is it jumping out of gear?.
Had this once in a pulsar manual box jumping out of gear.
It was the 2 slipper bronze bearings inside box.
kinda "looks like wedding ring" the gear selector shaft runs inside it.
badly worn and shaft kicks sideways and the check balls can't hold shaft in place.
and when this badly miss-aligned it jumped out of gear.
Mine also manifested itself, had alot of trouble selecting reverse gear. but different box so who knows for sure.
have a look at schematic and you have a better understanding if they are fitted in Nissan fast as suggested by Todd.
Cheers

Robo
3rd March 2012, 10:39 AM
Not sure about the FS5R50B but the FS5R50A is the big cast iron case gearbox fitted behind the bigger engines. As far as I know all RD28's were fitted to the smaller alloy case boxes.

Tony
I heard was told by someone that this smaller box is a 300ZX box.