PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a water crossing car bra?

AB
11th February 2012, 08:05 AM
Just curious to see how many people have one or if not, why not?

oncedisturbed
11th February 2012, 08:33 AM
Not yet, will get one though. Never thought about getting one until i bought the troll

growler2058
11th February 2012, 08:59 AM
Got one with a magazine subscription, only use it on the prado tho. Agathas a free woman an too tuff for a bra ;-)

Sir Roofy
11th February 2012, 09:23 AM
we have,nt got one at present most crossings where we go are useualy low enough
but if cuaght out would use a tarp,a car bra more things to pack no dont think so

macca
11th February 2012, 09:35 AM
Dont use it often, if the water level is up we use them and often use it on multiple vehicles if we can get it back across the water.
Most water crossings here are shallow enough to not need it and when they are deep enough the water flow is too fast for a safe crossing.
Just peace of mind I guess
Macca

Bigrig
11th February 2012, 11:03 AM
The way I've been going, I'll need some soon, and they should fit the truck also!!!! lmao

But no, I don't have one ...for myself nor vehicle.

Not a bad investment if you are above wheel arch depth though ...

I changed the location of the computer for that reason, it's now tucked up behind the bottom of the glovebox rather than the footwell ...probably only 6-8" higher than standard but could make all the difference one day (even though it's water tight apparently - still not worth the risk).

snicko
11th February 2012, 01:53 PM
Have one but as yet haven't been anywhere where one has been needed. (Not much good in the sand pit in our back yard!! hahaha)

In the big picture I hope to use it.

MudRunnerTD
11th February 2012, 09:30 PM
I have had one for a few years that I got wIth a mag subscription. Never really seen the need. Last time in the high country in the GQ though I saw some big water crossings up over the bonnet. With the install of a bonnet scoop on the GQ it has severely affected the bow wave and changed the way the car fords. I reckon way more water got under the bonnet now with a bonnet scoop. It has affected the pressure bubble under the bonnet that the bow wave creates. I will use it next time.

BigMav
11th February 2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah I've used mine heaps of times up the cape and was glad I had it, water well over the bonnet and lapping at the windscreen on occasion. Its a micheles one. Only takes about 20 seconds to strap on, rate it highly.

BillsGU
12th February 2012, 09:26 PM
we have,nt got one at present most crossings where we go are useualy low enough
but if cuaght out would use a tarp,a car bra more things to pack no dont think so

I agree - just more crap to clutter up the rear drawers. A cheap blue tarp does just as good a job and you can use it for many other things as well - such as: a shade awning, ground sheet when working under car, picnic sheet if ground is damp, wrap up stuff on roof rack to keep it dry or dust free, cover the seats when taking pets or kids 4 wheel driving, signal chopper in emergency, etc, etc.

You should try to have at least two uses for everything you carry in the car.

pearcey
12th February 2012, 10:26 PM
Don't have one as I use a tarp. I have a rule that most things I carry must have a dual purpose this keeps the weight down and things you think you might use out of the car.

DX grunt
13th February 2012, 12:40 AM
There are several reasons I don't need a car bra.
1. I drive a GU
2. I've got a snorkle
3. I love the water and drive it like I stole it. LOL (just kidding)

Timbo
13th February 2012, 10:52 AM
There are several reasons I don't need a car bra.
1. I drive a GU
2. I've got a snorkle
3. I love the water and drive it like I stole it. LOL (just kidding)

That's a "few".. waiting for the rest of the reasons! :P

I'd only have a Car Bra for crossings if I had a Petrol engine. That's why I bought diesels.

Even though the 2.8 has an ECU, there's no point in getting a car bra. If you're in water so deep that your worried about the electronics.. the car bra ain't gonna magically wrap itself around the ECU and protect it. As far as I was aware, Car Bras are used to create a bow wave in front of the car so as to create a small air buffer between the water and the airbox intake. Basically, use it if you do not have a snorkel.

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2012, 11:57 AM
That's a "few".. waiting for the rest of the reasons! :P

I'd only have a Car Bra for crossings if I had a Petrol engine. That's why I bought diesels.

Even though the 2.8 has an ECU, there's no point in getting a car bra. If you're in water so deep that your worried about the electronics.. the car bra ain't gonna magically wrap itself around the ECU and protect it. As far as I was aware, Car Bras are used to create a bow wave in front of the car so as to create a small air buffer between the water and the airbox intake. Basically, use it if you do not have a snorkel.

yes that is part of the reason.

The whole point of the bow wave is to displace the water and redirect it. The bow wave is an indication of that displacement. Basically by creating a bow wave you are also creating a pressure bubble in the engine bay, done right you will have a dry engine bay and all the water getting pushed out of the way instead of going through your grill. Turn a glass upside down and submerge it for the same result. A pressure bubble. Obviously if you come to a stop then your engine bay will flood and all will be a waist of time. Keep it moving with a good strong bow wave and your engine and electronics will remain dry.

Obviously the diesel engine is far more forgiving of water and is not so much a problem in this regard but you will find your car behaves in the water differently with a bow wave and pressure bubble versus a flooded engine bay, the flooded engine bay feels like a bit of an anchor to be honest.

I felt a massive change in the way the GQ behaves in deep water now that it has a bonnet scoop! most Turbo Diesels do now and maybe the science is out the window now?? I found in deep crossings that i can feel the bay flood and the lack of a pressure bubble due to the leak from the scoop saw the thing just let it straight in and the bow wave was a little more difficult to achieve without a bra. With a flooded engine bay the bow wave must be trying to form at the fire wall as well!! Feels like crap.

I had a mate with a similar setup and a scoop put a bra on and his car drove much better through the crossing and the bow wave seemed to act properly.

on the other hand i might have imagined it ;) Makes sense to my logic though, i certainly saw it in mine.

I will use one next time.

tusman
14th February 2012, 07:56 PM
nope aint got one but will have to get one before we go to the cape as the petrol is scared of water

Timbo
14th February 2012, 08:29 PM
yes that is part of the reason.

The whole point of the bow wave is to displace the water and redirect it. The bow wave is an indication of that displacement. Basically by creating a bow wave you are also creating a pressure bubble in the engine bay, done right you will have a dry engine bay and all the water getting pushed out of the way instead of going through your grill. Turn a glass upside down and submerge it for the same result. A pressure bubble. Obviously if you come to a stop then your engine bay will flood and all will be a waist of time. Keep it moving with a good strong bow wave and your engine and electronics will remain dry.

Obviously the diesel engine is far more forgiving of water and is not so much a problem in this regard but you will find your car behaves in the water differently with a bow wave and pressure bubble versus a flooded engine bay, the flooded engine bay feels like a bit of an anchor to be honest.

I felt a massive change in the way the GQ behaves in deep water now that it has a bonnet scoop! most Turbo Diesels do now and maybe the science is out the window now?? I found in deep crossings that i can feel the bay flood and the lack of a pressure bubble due to the leak from the scoop saw the thing just let it straight in and the bow wave was a little more difficult to achieve without a bra. With a flooded engine bay the bow wave must be trying to form at the fire wall as well!! Feels like crap.

I had a mate with a similar setup and a scoop put a bra on and his car drove much better through the crossing and the bow wave seemed to act properly.

on the other hand i might have imagined it ;) Makes sense to my logic though, i certainly saw it in mine.

I will use one next time.

Thanks for the detailed reply mate, very insightful. I guess if you're doing a lot of river crossings where the water is up to the door handles then a Car Bra would be a great investment, even on a diesel. Can't be too careful!

Bloggsy
14th February 2012, 08:40 PM
Have one, but haven't had a need to use it as yet.

belzi82
14th February 2012, 10:11 PM
I used to use a tarp with my old car and a friend has the bra however we went through a small river (King River in the Vic High Country) and she got water into the engine with the bra on. Her mechanic pretty much said the best thing for river crossings is a snorkel or a tarp/bra as a last resort but he would not recommend using it all the time for crossings. He recommended to get a snorkel installed as in the long run it is cheaper and there is nearly a zero chance of water getting into the air intake.

Russell1974
15th February 2012, 02:12 AM
Don't have one have a 4.2td snorkel viscous fan and a small tarp, ground sheet I carry for Toyota repairs if needed would use that

rottodiver
17th February 2012, 06:27 PM
i have a tarp if need be!!!! dont really have to many water crossings that high!!!

Scotty

KROOZA
20th February 2012, 06:05 PM
Being a perthian, it isn't worth the space., if i come across anything too deep once a year or so, a towel or a t-shirt has done the trick in a pinch.

walkal
4th March 2012, 11:52 PM
Have one but never had the water that high to use it when I have had it with me

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 12:14 AM
Iwill Have Tarp although i have Deisel, and will have snorkel on, still prefer to push bow wave with tarp save the fan!

Tim

macca
5th March 2012, 09:36 PM
Went driving a couple of wekends ago, needed the bra had a look and couldnt find it, got home and there it was nice and dry in the shed.
No good looking for it have to look at it.
Drove through no hassles even with water over the bonnet at times.
Maybe leave it where it is LOL