PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Drag Link????

89GQ
7th September 2010, 09:08 PM
Just got my Superior Engineering Adjustable drag link. Any tricks to installing, do i just take out old one and adjust it to the same length and install. What grease is a good one for ball joints etc. Cheers.

DX grunt
7th September 2010, 09:10 PM
What do the instructions say? lolol

89GQ
7th September 2010, 09:12 PM
What do the instructions say? lolol Aint none!!!!!

patch697
7th September 2010, 09:25 PM
Is your steering wheel off centre now?

Finly Owner
7th September 2010, 09:41 PM
Just got my Superior Engineering Adjustable drag link. Any tricks to installing, do i just take out old one and adjust it to the same length and install. What grease is a good one for ball joints etc. Cheers.

EP grease (extreme pressure) and yes i would adjust length same as old one, then get wheel alignment.

89GQ
7th September 2010, 09:58 PM
Is your steering wheel off centre now?wheels about 2 inches left,So i rekon if i put it in same size and then loosen lock nuts and turn the main bar till steering wheel is straight,does that sound right? Then get allignment. EP Grease thanks finly.

YNOT
7th September 2010, 09:59 PM
Drag link does not really affect wheel alignment, toe in is set by the tie rod.
What I did was drive the car a short distance and stop with the wheels pointing straight ahead. Then fit the new drag link. Adjust it as your fitting it so it drops into the tapered holes in the pitman arm and LH steering knuckle with out having to move either of them. This will get you very close.
Go for a drive, if the steering wheel is off centre, pull over and adjust it. I had to do this several times before I got it right.
Once you have the steering centred, measure the stroke of your steering damper, then set it half way with the steering straight ahead (superior drag links come with a clamp on damper bracket).

Tony

Finly Owner
7th September 2010, 10:01 PM
Um test drive slowly up stret see if it pulls left/right badly. If not bad get wheel align done. then take steer wheel off and relocate back centre.

89GQ
7th September 2010, 10:02 PM
What I did was drive the car a short distance and stop with the wheels pointing straight ahead. Then fit the new drag link. Adjust it as your fitting it so it drops into the tapered holes in the pitman arm and LH steering knuckle with out having to move either of them. This will get you very close.
Go for a drive, if the steering wheel is off centre, pull over and adjust it. I had to do this several times before I got it right.
Once you have the steering centred, measure the stroke of your steering damper, then set it half way with the steering straight ahead (superior drag links come with a clamp on damper bracket).

TonyCheers Tony, thats what i will do and yes i have the eye to eye bracket with it. Cheers.

YNOT
7th September 2010, 10:07 PM
Um test drive slowly up stret see if it pulls left/right badly. If not bad get wheel align done. then take steer wheel off and relocate back centre.

Sorry Tim, I don't recommend this method. Being able to adjust the drag link means you can recentre the steering box. Taking the steering wheel off and turning it on the splines will leave the steering box off centre.

Tony

89GQ
7th September 2010, 10:12 PM
I thought it was just the tie rod for allignment, As the steering is its good!, even tyre wear and slight pull to the left from road angle, Will see how it is after draglink install and get the allignment checked anyhow as ive replaced panhard rod and springs but didnt get it checked as it was travelling good after the changes! Thanks all.

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 08:52 PM

Tony

another one for YNOT Helpful posts file

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 08:53 PM
all good Tony posted as you did and all I knew until reading yours.