PDA

View Full Version : 1998 (Y61) GU Headunit question

HitMix
5th February 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone.

In my patrol there is just ordinary 1-DIN cd-player, but i am going to mount a rear view camera, and want a 2-din player with a screen for that. I have seen someplace on the internet that a similar patrol had a 2-din frame, and wonder if anyone know where i can get such a frame?

Is this maybe a original part for those with navigation?

04OFF
5th February 2012, 11:18 PM
Your pootrol would have had a double din radio from factory, someone may have fitted a single din unit and a pocket, 99% of the time when people do this they still retain the factory double din mounting brackets, so i bet you can fit another double din unit quite easy using what you already have.

HitMix
5th February 2012, 11:57 PM
If that was the case it would be best, but i am afraid my was originally delivered with 1DIN, here is a picture:

As you can see there is a "wood" plastic strip between the cd-player and the compartment below

Silver
5th February 2012, 11:59 PM
some people on here have done clever things with parts sourced on Ebay that allow navigation, reversing cameras and not sure what else. So clever that I am not sure how they did it - but then I'm not really familiar with modern electronics. Hopefully one will come along soon - or you could search the other parts of the forum to see what they posted about their systems.

Sadly on the GQ, the space is really too low for it to be useful like it is on the GU.

04OFF
6th February 2012, 12:21 AM
If that was the case it would be best, but i am afraid my was originally delivered with 1DIN, here is a picture:

As you can see there is a "wood" plastic strip between the cd-player and the compartment below

Ahh, so its not a Australian model then, exactly what country are you in ?

I changed my double din to a single , so maybe we can swap bits, although i dont have the wood grain

HitMix
6th February 2012, 12:24 AM
Ahh, so its not a Australian model then, exactly what country are you in ?

Nope, i live in Norway ;) Mostly all models of all cars are the lowest cost versions here due to the costs. I dont know what patrols cost in AU, but i paid 150 000Kr (24000AUD) for mine now this friday.

04OFF
6th February 2012, 12:32 AM
Dont think you got the cheap version, as looks like you have a wood grain dash, climate control, rear diff lock , headlight washers, and maybe even heated seats and the tiptronic style gearbox ?

Thats all top of the range stuff in a Aussie 89 patrol (dont think tiptronic was available tho)

HitMix
6th February 2012, 12:36 AM
Dont think you got the cheap version, as looks like you have a wood grain dash, climate control, rear diff lock and maybe even the tiptronic style gearbox ?

Thats all top of the range stuff in a Aussie 89 patrol (dont think tiptronic was available tho)

Okey, my first patrol, so i am not quite into the accessories yet. Manual transmission on this one, but the other is correct.

Maybe someone has access to the Nissan Parts catalog (Nissan FAST?), and can see if there is several types of frames around the cd-player? And if so, maybe get the part number so i can order it?

Clunk
6th February 2012, 12:55 AM
hey mate, if you keep up the chat, you'll be able to download it for your self............ it's on here somewhere

HitMix
6th February 2012, 12:58 AM
hey mate, if you keep up the chat, you'll be able to download it for your self............ it's on here somewhere

Really? guess i have to search a little then! :) Is it a particular postcount that must be reached to download things?

Clunk
6th February 2012, 01:10 AM
Really? guess i have to search a little then! :) Is it a particular postcount that must be reached to download things?

yeah mate 25 posts will get you what you need but just make sure they're not spam as you may find the moderators will boot you off!!!!!!! lol

I believe this is what you're after mate.. part number 60520...................... I hope, as long I did the search correctly anyway as I've only just downloaded Nissan Fast myself, so just working out how to use it!!!!!!

HitMix
6th February 2012, 04:55 AM
yeah mate 25 posts will get you what you need but just make sure they're not spam as you may find the moderators will boot you off!!!!!!! lol

I believe this is what you're after mate.. part number 60520...................... I hope, as long I did the search correctly anyway as I've only just downloaded Nissan Fast myself, so just working out how to use it!!!!!!
Nice, thank you :)

my third 256
6th February 2012, 09:58 AM
you could get a single din unit with a flip out face / or even the unit that goes on the rear view mirror

rusty_nail
6th February 2012, 10:15 AM
another suggestion would be to get a single DIN radio with a fold out screen, you cen get them off ebay and they are not any more expensive than the double DIN Players. a brand i suggest is eonon, they are cheap, but fully functional for what you need. i installed on on a Rodeo, and the reverse camera works well, and its not like if you kept the screen folded out it doesnt look like it will get in the way of anything. i this would be the least fuss solution for you

cheers

nic

rusty_nail
6th February 2012, 10:15 AM
sorry third, lol you beat me to it, i just took too long to type mine out

HitMix
6th February 2012, 11:34 AM
another suggestion would be to get a single DIN radio with a fold out screen, you cen get them off ebay and they are not any more expensive than the double DIN Players. a brand i suggest is eonon, they are cheap, but fully functional for what you need. i installed on on a Rodeo, and the reverse camera works well, and its not like if you kept the screen folded out it doesnt look like it will get in the way of anything. i this would be the least fuss solution for you

cheers

nic

you could get a single din unit with a flip out face / or even the unit that goes on the rear view mirror

Yes i have concidered that alternative as well, but as long as it is possible to get a double-din player, i want that type, the only reason being that it looks waay better and original :) But surely you do have a point, if i dont get a frame for doubledin, i will go for a singledin flip out screen :)

As to the monitor in the rear view mirror i havent found a monitor that looks "good enough" to use :p

HitMix
7th February 2012, 05:57 AM
Visited my local Nissan dealership today, but they could not help me. They found that there was a whole line of different versions of the frame, but no explanation too them, so they had to order to see what they got.. Sounded a little weird that they dident have sombody else to contact tho. If i wanted they could order what they thought it may be, but then i had to pay for it wether it were right or wrong, and when the frame costed allmost 500$, that was not an option.

Guess i have to try to take the frame off and modyfy it so that i can fit a 2din player in there :) Actually i like doing things like that, but i prefer having a extra one the first time in case things dont go quite as planned :p

Guess i can take some pictures and make a DIY if that is of any interest for someone. I know i like having a DIY to follow myself :)

rusty_nail
7th February 2012, 08:49 AM
try getting in touch with a nissan patrol wrecker in australia before you go cuttting your current face plate up mate, they will probably be a pretty common part and i can guess it wouldnt cost you that much to get it sent to you over there mate!

HitMix
7th February 2012, 09:40 AM
try getting in touch with a nissan patrol wrecker in australia before you go cuttting your current face plate up mate, they will probably be a pretty common part and i can guess it wouldnt cost you that much to get it sent to you over there mate!

That would have worked fine if the steeringwheel was on the same side ;) But thank you anyway! :)

Removed the frame today, and it seems that it can be modified, will post some pictures when i do it :)

rusty_nail
7th February 2012, 09:41 AM
good luck mate!!!

HitMix
7th February 2012, 09:42 AM
good luck mate!!!

Thank you :)

HitMix
9th February 2012, 05:41 AM
Tadaa :) Of course i forgot to take some pics while i was doing it tho :(

Just had to cut of the bar between the spaces, it made a little gap under the player, but i will make a plate under it with buttons for the lighting there, so it is allright

2DIN brackets was there originally:

oncedisturbed
11th February 2012, 05:40 PM
Looks good, i did a similar 1 in my BT50. Have the 2din unit in my Troll which I will end up changing over to a bluetooth / gps set up (once I figure out how to remove the console shroud)

Silver
12th February 2012, 01:19 PM
Looks pretty neatly done HitMix!

HitMix
18th February 2012, 12:25 AM
Now i have finished the plate for the buttons:

Under construction, template below

Finished:

A minor bummer when i inserted the LED's tho, they would not fit in their sockets.. Going to make something different there, but dont know what just yet.

OzzieNorm
8th March 2012, 09:18 PM
Try this eBay link for a 1DIN unit - but no reversing camera...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260932595210?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_9665wt_1189

Try this for a 2 DIN with free reversing camera:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-DIN-DVD-PLAYER-GPS-DVB-T-iPod-USB-NISSAN-NAVARA-D40-DUALIS-X-TRAIL-PATROL-/260898142088?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbebdb788#ht_17748wt_1102