PDA

View Full Version : rear axle bearings trouble

skip
7th September 2010, 08:45 PM
im not to good with spellin or this computer for that ill have to appolagize. anyway ive been hearing a squeeking noise cumming from the back of me truck. I pulled the drivers side axle out, thought it mite be a dry wheel bearing but the bearing seamed allright an looks like its getting lubed by diff oil. Its a differante setup to what im use to am i missing something.

AB
7th September 2010, 08:50 PM
Hey Skip, moved your question here which is a better spot for people to find it and help you.

Finly Owner
7th September 2010, 10:18 PM
Are you sure it's a bearing? Not a dry uni joint?

YNOT
7th September 2010, 10:18 PM
Rear axle bearings are lubricated by grease. If the bearings are full of diff oil then your inner acle oil seal is leaking. You can see the seal when you pull the axle out and look in the axle tube.
Your noise coud be coming from a number of places. Try jacking up the back end and turning the wheel with every thing in place to recreate the noise. Assuming you can recreate the noise, remove the brake calliper and repeat the test. If it's still there, remove the disc and retest. Process of elimination. Of course if you can only get the noise by driving the car, the whole job gets 10x harder.
Another place to check is the steel/tin oil seal cover on the diff pinion, someone on here had that problem not long ago.

Tony

skip
9th September 2010, 07:30 PM
thanks for the replys boys. you are both right im only guessing the squek is comeing from the bearing.An your right tony the seal is inside of the bearing,so must have been light grease as there is no sign of leaking diff oil any wear else. Anyway i took your advice gave the uni'sone pump of grease and all eight seals showed some grease leakege and no signs of play with the pogee bar. jacked truck up so both wheels were clear of the ground an spun em around an around no noise. pulled tail sharf out an inspeted hand brake all good no stones diff pinion oil seal cover is tight an no stones. noticed exhaust was a bit loose at the rear of the muffeler so tightend that up. took it for a test drive at first i thought it was not as bad but by one full lap of the block the is same same. tomorrows another day so I'll cheak that exhaust again i thing. like you said tony process of elimination and thanks again for the help.. Skip