PDA

View Full Version : Questions on new guage install

satyx
5th February 2012, 03:32 AM
hey all, Im posting this question here as well as on my build up page so someone can please help.

i have just finished fitting up my boost and pyro guages. Unfortunately i have 2 concerns. First the yobbo who installed the exhaust placed the temp probe about 3 inches from the bottom of the dump pipe. I suspect this is what he could reach from under a hoist. As it is further from the turbo i know my temps are going to be lower then most posted figures, but by how much? Today it seemed to hover around 200c cruising around town at 60kph.

2nd my boost guage, under normal driving climbs to 7psi and stalls. If i rev it a little it will slowly climb higher but i have to hold the revs for some time to make it move. During my tune after the exhaust i had boost set to 15psi so shouldnt the boost climb evenly with revs up to this point. The dyno chat i got from the tuners showed a nice smooth power and torque curve. It could be leaking at the guage as i need to retighten the nuts on the line, could this be the reason it stalls at 7psi or have i stuffed something else up during the install?

Any help would be much appreciated. Here is a pic of the finished product as well.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/satyx2401/guages2.jpg

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 10:14 AM
Hang tight mate and the more mechanically minded will be along to assist no doubt.

On the pyro connector - id be paying to get it moved back up towards the top of the dump pipe. Exhaust Innovations that I use only charged $30 to out one in, so sealing the old one and installing a new one if you take the pipe off and take it to someone shouldn't be an expensive exercise. Better to have it accurate than try to guess the temp difference (although probably not much) in having it down low.

Can't help on the boost problem I'm afraid, but as said, someone will be along to assist I'm sure.

satyx
5th February 2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks bigrig. was thinking the same thing, but it was hard enough to get permission off the other half to install it once, let alone twice. Might pull out the stops for valentines day, get some bonus points up.

Bigrig
5th February 2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks bigrig. was thinking the same thing, but it was hard enough to get permission off the other half to install it once, let alone twice. Might pull out the stops for valentines day, get some bonus points up.

Haha ... you do what you got to mate to make sure the truck gets what it needs!!!! lmao

Sir Roofy
5th February 2012, 11:38 AM
thanks bigrig. Was thinking the same thing, but it was hard enough to get permission off the other half to install it once, let alone twice. Might pull out the stops for valentines day, get some bonus points up.

mate just explain the probe is in the wrong place
what does she want to do
$30 ,40 to move it closer to the turbo or big $s to fix

boots
5th February 2012, 05:29 PM
hi satyx . is your boost still controlled by the ecu / ie - factory , or have you bypassed it with a dawes valve and needle valve setup - total control ?

satyx
5th February 2012, 10:47 PM
hi satyx . is your boost still controlled by the ecu / ie - factory , or have you bypassed it with a dawes valve and needle valve setup - total control ?

it has been bypassed with a dawes valve and is under manual control. It has been set with a max of 15 psi. What i would like to know if the boost is supposed to rise and fall with revs, how quickly it happens or wether it is slow to respond. basicly i want to check and see if its operating normaly or if there is a fault somewhere.

boots
6th February 2012, 05:52 PM
it has been bypassed with a dawes valve and is under manual control. It has been set with a max of 15 psi. What i would like to know if the boost is supposed to rise and fall with revs, how quickly it happens or wether it is slow to respond. basicly i want to check and see if its operating normaly or if there is a fault somewhere.

Should rise and fall with revs under load . needle valve is your adjustment for spool up rate . Q- have you checked your intercooler ? for leaks ?

satyx
6th February 2012, 08:22 PM
there is an oill/dirt stain on the intercooler and it is OE. Im certain its leaking and is on the list for replacment soon. the guage is in the ic exit pipe if that makes a difference. I took it for a run on the highway today, up a few hills and reved it out to 4000rpm once or twice. the boost rises to 7/8psi then stops. Even in 3rd climbing a hill on full noise it would barely budge. As soon as i back off it drops to 0 and then jumps back to 7/8 psi when i accelerate again. Also i still have some extra nylon pipe coiled up inder the dash, would it be beter to cut the tube to its shortest length or even swap it out to silicon hose?

boots
6th February 2012, 09:28 PM
common fault the oe ic leaking . that was the first thing that I replaced. I run the original boost guage tube on mine , ran it through flexi conduit from the firewall foward to protect it a bit . just double check you havent kinked your tube . yep shorter the better . still seems odd to me your situation satyx . maybe try adjusting your turbo actuator a little then retest

satyx
7th February 2012, 12:11 AM
cheers boots. tomorrow after work ill trim down the length of hose and double check for kinks and seals. Fingers crossed it something simple. lol

satyx
7th February 2012, 07:55 PM
okey dokey. after trimming down the length of tube, removing a few small kinks and crushed points and sealing up the joints my guage seems to be working. while reving it in the drive way it reached 13-14psi om full noise.

Big thanks guys for your advice.

boots
7th February 2012, 09:32 PM
glad you found and fixed your problem satyx . love a happy ending .