PDA

View Full Version : Suspension List Kit For GU

Jamie
1st February 2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I need to replace my suspension on my 98 Patrol as it's at bit tied from previous owner towing a van.

Would like any advise on the matter. I was thinking about buying a lift kit on ebay but not sure what I need? Can anyone offer advice on brands to look for and size of lift kit recommended. I tow a camper trailer and do some off road with it. The car is also used as my main transport the rest of the time so I don't want to go too crazy and sacrifice stability on the road.

Someone had suggested a 2" lift kit. Any thoughts?

growler2058
1st February 2012, 03:21 PM
If your after 2" then really all thats required is coils n shocks, ol man emu would be well siuted to your needs. You must tell the supplier/fitter exactly what you will be towing ie weight of a full loaded vehicle, in your case camper also, so correct spring rates can be fitted. There are heaps of threads here regarding lifts etc. Just use the search button. It would also pay to replace any rubbers etc that may be worn. If you go more than 2" you will be looking at ways to correct castor angles suspension geometry etc.

04OFF
1st February 2012, 03:22 PM
I put this in mine.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GU-2-50mm-Suspension-Lift-Kit-Yellow-/250985326094?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6fe4260e

I use my truck as a daily,its a heavy car with all the extras, plus i do more off road trips than most, the suspension has been outstanding all round on and off road, never sagged a bit, flexes good, 3yr 100,000K warranty you cant loose !

Id buy it again without hesitation ! :thumbup:

satyx
8th February 2012, 09:15 PM
I sell gear like this for a living. It is important you know exactly what you want to do with your truck. Is it a daily drive, light offroader or weekend warrior machine. Have you thought about what size tyres you wish to run, as this will affect what height adjustment you may need. Also consider what accessories are fitted to the truck such as b/bar, winch, dual batts, rear bar, rear drawers etc as these will add extra weight that needs to be accounted for. Most brands will have different rate springs for heavier trucks. Finaly think about a budget, if you can only afford 2in thats cool, if you want 4 or 6in be prepared to pay for a lot of extra gear required.

2in coils and shocks will fit in a patrol easily and not affect anything major. Good aftermarket brands will give you a better ride, flex better and improve handling. I recomend replacing bushes and rubbers with all my customers. its easier to do when new gear goes in then 1000ks later when everything turns sour. 2in is also great for starting off, it gives you some great benifits offroad, without increasing negative aspects of suspension lifts like excessive bodyroll.

4-6in in a patrol is very cool, but requires extra things like castor correction, brake line adjustments, drop arms etc to be made. Costly, but if you want to go nuts its pretty cool.

my 2 cents......

Jamie
18th February 2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I hear what you say about identifying the needs and in my case its my main car for on-road and the family car when we head off road with the camper trailer. From what you have said, I think the 2" is the go at this stage. It will rectify the low clearance issue in the back and will be a good compromise. Body roll is a bit of an issue now so I'd like to stiffen it up a bit but not go accessive. What brand would you recommend? The others have suggested Old Man Emu?

Cheers

Xntric
24th February 2012, 08:40 AM
Im in the same boat as JAMIE and need to replace mine. while on this topic can i ask if anyone knows what the standard clearance should be on a 98 GU. i guess from centerhub to wheel arch.......I have had my Patrol since October last year, it looks like its got a 2" lift on it but im not sure.
i dont want to buy a 2" if its already got a 2" as a bit more clearance would be better maybe a 3"

Xntric
19th March 2012, 09:51 PM
So does anyone actually know the factory distance from centerhub to wheel arch