PDA

View Full Version : How to fit a Pertronix Electronic Ignition system to your GQ TB42

rusty_nail
1st February 2012, 02:46 PM
so yesterday i installed my pertronix 1762LS (lobe sensing) electronic ignition system. i reckon this job should take about 10 minutes but the instructions were not very good, and seeing as ive never changed points before i had no idea what to look for when following the very brief instructions. if i had somthing like below i reckon i would have been able to knock it over alot quicker. here is my guide below to assist anyone that wants to do the same and needs help:

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302460.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302461.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302463.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302464.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302465.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302466.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302467.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302475.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302478.jpg

you can see the slits i have made in the rubber
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302483.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1312489.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1312490.jpg

so there you have it. after doing all that you obviously need to put all the covers back on. i found that the ignitor sat a bit high and pressed slightly on the plastic cover that goes back on first but started the car and let it run then pulled it apart and inspected and there was no damage to speak of.

as to noticing a difference, the car started with just a touch on the ignition and idled really nice. im yet to take it for a drive as the interior is all stripped out, but it climbs really nicely through the revs when reving at a stop. again, cant mention anything about economy change as i wont be able to drive it for another couple of weeks, but i will keep everyone posted as soon as i am able to start working out that sort of thing.

if anyone has any questions about that i did, please let me know and if i know the answer ill be glad to help!

cheers,

Nic

taslucas
1st February 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks heaps for that nic. I think I will fit one in the near future. Where did you get it?

Bigrig
1st February 2012, 03:22 PM
Top write up mate - well done!!

rusty_nail
1st February 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks heaps for that nic. I think I will fit one in the near future. Where did you get it?

got it off ebay... was soooooooo cheap, $130, from a seller who has been mentioned on here before, ponderosamustangco (http://myworld.ebay.com.au/ponderosamustangco/?_trksid=p4340.l2559). it was shipped from the US, and it took 2 and a half weeks to arrive (but im pretty regional so cant blame him) well worth the wait tho

tusman
7th February 2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Rusty nail, Did your instructions say anything about turning down a flange, I have recently brought a Pertronix kit and it says I have to do this? Thanks again mate awsome thred

rusty_nail
7th February 2012, 09:57 PM
hey tusman,

no there was no mention of changing anything on the car, the reason for this was that if somehing were to go wrong with the unit, i would be able to just re attach the old "point system" as a backup. what kit did you get? mine was the Pertronix Ignitor 1762LS(lobe sensing).

cheers,

nic

tusman
8th February 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks Mate, Mine is the pertronix 1762 (so I'm assuming it's not lobe sensing) and the instructions say the distributor must be removed from the car and a flange on the distributor shaft has to be Machined to 0.624 of an Inch. Other than that the instructions do seem similar to your post.
Thanks again

rusty_nail
8th February 2012, 11:22 PM
yeah mate, the lobe sensing does not require machining. if i can suggest you take the unit you got back and see if you can replace it for lobe sensing unit. i thought this was essential as it maybe be annoying to replace and re-adjust points but when if somthing goes wrong and you have to buy a whole $xxx amount unit its way more expensive and risky...

jc58nc
9th February 2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks Mate, Mine is the pertronix 1762 (so I'm assuming it's not lobe sensing) and the instructions say the distributor must be removed from the car and a flange on the distributor shaft has to be Machined to 0.624 of an Inch. Other than that the instructions do seem similar to your post.
Thanks again
You have the Hall Effect (Magnet type and very reliable), the kit will have a black tube with green tape on it and a white tube.
The black tube has the magnets and has to sit over the lobes.
The flange just under the rotor button is a bit big and has to be machined down to let the tube slide down to the lobes, the white tube is a spacer that sits on top of the black tube under the rotor button.
The machining takes 5 minutes in a lathe, if you want to keep this kit and have problems getting the flange turned down PM me, I'll do it for free if you send the lobes piece to me with a return addressed envelope.
That goes for anyone on the forum.
Jeff

tusman
9th February 2012, 04:28 PM
thanks for the feedback and thanks Jaff thats a very generous offer mate, I do have access to a lathe so should be right.

tus

spring_ridge_guy
7th April 2012, 11:40 PM
Hey rusty just wondering if you had thought about using another coil like they surguest or are you happy with the standard nissian coil?

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 10:13 PM
Hey rusty just wondering if you had thought about using another coil like they surguest or are you happy with the standard nissian coil?

hey mate, just noticed your post, i did think about it, but at the moment im happy with the increase in fuel economy, i can honestly say that dramatic is an understatement. also the car revs better and has MUCH more low down pull than before. its amazing that somthing so simple could change all that. maybe in the future ill change it but its not a priority atm as its not hurting anything leaving the old coil on there and to buy the new one would just be hurting my pocket =)

cheers

nic

Winnie
11th April 2012, 10:23 PM
So these things are really that good? I've been tossing up whether to get one or not but if they're that good for the economy then I'm all for it. Which one is best, Lobe Sensing or Hall Effect?

Cheers, Chris.

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 10:28 PM
So these things are really that good? I've been tossing up whether to get one or not but if they're that good for the economy then I'm all for it. Which one is best, Lobe Sensing or Hall Effect?

Cheers, Chris.

i use the lobe sensing job and to be honest the install couldnt be easier (see earlier in the thread) the think the downfall of the other on is that if the unit fails (which it shouldnt but you can never be too careful) you cant just put your old points back on which will get you outta trouble. also, yeah i think they are that good. from full to dead empty i was getting 300ks dead on every time but now im pushing wayyy closer to 400. that is a pretty good increase, especially when you do all the math for $130 that i paid it would put me infront after 5 or six tanks...

Winnie
11th April 2012, 10:36 PM
That seems pretty easily justifiable. I do pretty big kms every week so any way to save fuel is a good thing.

ripper
12th April 2012, 10:08 PM
I did mine a while back, and yeah, dead easy if you had clear instructions. As it was I fiddled around for a fair while, mostly because I made the mistake of changing the coil at the same time, and it turned out that the new coil was faulty. Put the old coil back in and it's all good now.

Edit: Just thought it might be worth adding a warning about not leaving the ignition turned on without the engine running. I read that this will cause the module to overheat and burn out fairly quickly.

rusty_nail
13th April 2012, 12:18 AM
Edit: Just thought it might be worth adding a warning about not leaving the ignition turned on without the engine running. I read that this will cause the module to overheat and burn out fairly quickly.

thanks mate, i did not know that! i will definately look into it, thats kind of a worry.

scotty83
13th April 2012, 07:13 AM
nice job. top writeup and pics..

Robo
16th April 2012, 09:39 AM
You work for XXXX . lol.

Great thread and pics.
Cheers

link for group buy pertronic ver II "variable dwell" $165 each unit
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10528-group-buy-pertronic-II-for-tb42s

popup
30th May 2012, 09:39 PM
Hi mate i just got one of the Pertronix Electronic Ignition. It says something about a Ballast Resistor and one wire going to the 12 volt side of the resistor. Is that how you have your set up?
As in your pic's you have it wired up to the coil only.

lg 91
4th June 2012, 04:11 PM
Hay mate just a quick question I've installed my petronix the same as you but should we run the wires the other way in the dizzy it's self so they don't get pulled tight when the vacume is advanced.

It might be a stupid question but it just had me wondering I might pull mine out and see if there is enough slack in the wires

Maverick1988
11th August 2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/MaverickInstalled a pertronix flamethrower and removed the ballast resistor. What wires go where? Any idea? Also checked the hall effect pertronix ignitor that came with the GQ which has been flawless up until now. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The green tape is still on the magnet ring and there is no adjusting the air gap from the screws that are fitted.

ripper
11th August 2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/33.jpgInstalled a pertronix flamethrower and removed the ballast resistor. What wires go where?

I tried a flamethrower without success. Put the old coil back on and it worked fine again. Got a mechanic to test the new coil and he said it was faulty. He only ever recommends Bosch coils.

I forget the wiring details to eliminate the ballast resistor, but I do remember one wire on the coil confusing me for a while. It becomes live when the ignition key is turned to "start". It's there to feed the full 12 volts to the coil when you're starting. After the engine starts, the voltage drops back to whatever the ballast resister allows through. If you don't have a ballast you just tape/heatshrink this wire up so it can't short out on anything.

Irvs
20th August 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi Guys, just about to fit my Pertronix Ignitor 2 (Hall Effect) to my spare Dissy and I thought I would take some before photos that are labelled to hopefully help others understand the process.

Cheers,
Irvs

Irvs
26th August 2012, 06:58 PM
Finished installing my Pertronix kit yesterday and just showing a few pics of the Dissy Shaft machined down and final install.

taslucas
30th August 2012, 07:56 PM
Ok I just got a pertronix in the mail. It's for a mate, he wanted the pertronix two (hall effect). The pic below is what they sent.

Tap, crackle, pop

taslucas
30th August 2012, 07:59 PM
It's definitely not the right one is it? It says: ignitor (lobe sensor) Hitachi 6 cyl.
Part number 5872 ignitor number 1762LS.

Tap, crackle, pop

Pukie83
11th October 2012, 04:39 PM
thanks for the info

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 04:44 PM
It looks as though it is Lucas, that's the exact same one that I got, have you tried fitting it? Can you show me a pic of the device?

Tappin

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:27 PM
It looks as though it is Lucas, that's the exact same one that I got, have you tried fitting it? Can you show me a pic of the device?

Tappin

Questioned with the seller (aus authorised pertronix dealer) and they apologised and sent the correct one which is "Ignitor2 6 cyl. Nissan Patrol. Ignitor number: 91762." NOT: "Hitachi 6 cyl.
Part number 5872 ignitor number 1762LS." that we first got. With that ignitor fitted and and the flame thrower2 coil, my mates mav is a fire breathing dragon lol.

I have just received my Pertronix Ignitor 2 and flame thrower 2 low resistance resin filled coil dorect from an american seller. Cant wait to fit it this weekend:)
(i was able to purchase the ignitor and coil from an ebay seller direct from usa for far less than the aussie dealers. AND he sent the right one the first time, which is straight away better than the aussie dealer my mate used!! PM me for dealer name)

Winnie
11th October 2012, 09:31 PM
Sucks how cheap things are from overseas. I'm all for supporting the local business but damn its too hard to justify sometimes.

DIAL-A-TAP

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 10:03 PM
Questioned with the seller (aus authorised pertronix dealer) and they apologised and sent the correct one which is "Ignitor2 6 cyl. Nissan Patrol. Ignitor number: 91762." NOT: "Hitachi 6 cyl.
Part number 5872 ignitor number 1762LS." that we first got. With that ignitor fitted and and the flame thrower2 coil, my mates mav is a fire breathing dragon lol.

I have just received my Pertronix Ignitor 2 and flame thrower 2 low resistance resin filled coil dorect from an american seller. Cant wait to fit it this weekend:)
(i was able to purchase the ignitor and coil from an ebay seller direct from usa for far less than the aussie dealers. AND he sent the right one the first time, which is straight away better than the aussie dealer my mate used!! PM me for dealer name)

Great to hear mate! Good luck with fitting it on!!! I found out I'm up for 850 bucks for a new head on my troll today, gotta love them.. Well love to hate lol.

Tappin

taslucas
11th October 2012, 10:32 PM
Great to hear mate! Good luck with fitting it on!!! I found out I'm up for 850 bucks for a new head on my troll today, gotta love them.. Well love to hate lol.

Tappin

Bugga! well with a new head you can look forward to another 300,000 trouble free k's

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah and in that 300k ill be looking forward to lots of other problems like gearbox.. Speaking of those how's your auto going? Get that sorted yet lol!!!

Tappin

taslucas
11th October 2012, 10:38 PM
Sucks how cheap things are from overseas. I'm all for supporting the local business but damn its too hard to justify sometimes.

DIAL-A-TAP

Im all for that too but quite simply they are just an import company, they buy the EXACT SAME product (id bet from the same place i did) and put a little on top to make some money. Yep they keep three people in the job but really, in the end its like me importing a heap of them and reselling. AND they sent me the WROMG DAMN ONE then took about ten days to fix the problem. So; for price, service, speed and getting the right part first go, unfortunately the amercian seller was better.

taslucas
11th October 2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah and in that 300k ill be looking forward to lots of other problems like gearbox.. Speaking of those how's your auto going? Get that sorted yet lol!!!

Tappin

yep, all sorted. After spending all that money and trying EVERYTHING..... one day it just slowly stopped happening!! happy that it doesnt happen anymore, sad that i have no damn idea what caused it, why it stopped happening or if it will happen again!!

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 10:42 PM
Well I know how you can fix it in the future... Get a manual box!!! Hahaha.

But on a serious not good to hear its all sorted mate.

Tappin

NissanGQ4.2
11th October 2012, 10:43 PM
yep, all sorted. After spending all that money and trying EVERYTHING..... one day it just slowly stopped happening!! happy that it doesnt happen anymore, sad that i have no damn idea what caused it, why it stopped happening or if it will happen again!!

so the TC is locking up now no worries?

taslucas
11th October 2012, 10:45 PM
Well I know how you can fix it in the future... Get a manual box!!! Hahaha.

But on a serious not good to hear its all sorted mate.

Tappin

one day youll feel how good it is to crawl in an auto! I got an auto on purpose, i passed up a few good deals that were manual. Just had a bit of bad luck straight up. Now its fully rebuilt WITH an aftermarket heavy duty valvebody WHICH KICKS ASS:)

taslucas
11th October 2012, 10:46 PM
so the TC is locking up now no worries?

YEP:) all working better than than out of the factory:)

popup
27th October 2012, 02:14 PM
Can anyone help with these wire, as to were they go when you get rid of the ballast resistor.
Cheers Russell

ripper
27th October 2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I don't remember how it works, but make sure you check out the second part of my comment earlier in the thread.
How-to-fit-a-Pertronix-Electronic-Ignition-system-to-your-GQ-TB42 view post255988 (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8523-How-to-fit-a-Pertronix-Electronic-Ignition-system-to-your-GQ-TB42&p=255988&viewfull=1#post255988)

Faisal
18th November 2012, 08:44 AM
Finished installing my Pertronix kit yesterday and just showing a few pics of the Dissy Shaft machined down and final install.

It's really a good thread. I bought 1762 and flame thrower 40511 for a friend and got it shipped to Saudi Arabia. I just realized that we need to machine the flange on the distributor.
My question is that are we able to return the point and original stuff back on the distributor if we get the flange machined?

I really appreciate your assistance and excuse me for my weak language.

taslucas
18th November 2012, 10:41 AM
Hi mate, yes you will be able to fit the original points back in.

Faisal
18th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi mate, yes you will be able to fit the original points back in.

Thank you mate. I really appreciate it.

damaverick
26th January 2013, 01:27 PM
Hi Fellas,

I'm having bit of trouble installing my pertronix kit (lobe sensor).

I am stuck after I pull off the dissi cap and rotor button. In rusty's guide the black plastic seems to come off but mine is stuck. I tried pulling/twisting and even sticking a screwdriver in to try and lever it off but it just won't budge. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Haros

ripper
26th January 2013, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone has siliconed it in on you damavrick. Might be time for a stanley knife.

damaverick
26th January 2013, 02:24 PM
Damn... one of the reasons I prefer not to let others work on my car

Also, my kit came with the flamethrower 3 ohm coil and it says I should remove the resistor if the car has one. What does this resistor look like and where do I find it?

taslucas
26th January 2013, 05:12 PM
Yep I reckon it's been siliconed on to help stop water ingress.
Here is a pic of the parts removed.
The resistor is near (under) your coil. It's a ceramic rectangle shape. Remove it and join the wires together.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/140.jpg

FanTapstic!

ripper
26th January 2013, 05:47 PM
Also, my kit came with the flamethrower 3 ohm coil and it says I should remove the resistor if the car has one. What does this resistor look like and where do I find it?

I'd get the ignition working first, then do the coil after. I tried doing both at once, and had problems but didn't know which part was giving trouble. Doing one at a would've been a lot easier.

jujunini
5th February 2013, 09:56 PM
so yesterday i installed my pertronix 1762LS (lobe sensing) electronic ignition system. i reckon this job should take about 10 minutes but the instructions were not very good, and seeing as ive never changed points before i had no idea what to look for when following the very brief instructions. if i had somthing like below i reckon i would have been able to knock it over alot quicker. here is my guide below to assist anyone that wants to do the same and needs help:

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302460.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302461.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302463.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302464.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302465.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302466.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302467.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302475.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302478.jpg

you can see the slits i have made in the rubber
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1302483.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1312489.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/electronic%20igntion/P1312490.jpg

so there you have it. after doing all that you obviously need to put all the covers back on. i found that the ignitor sat a bit high and pressed slightly on the plastic cover that goes back on first but started the car and let it run then pulled it apart and inspected and there was no damage to speak of.

as to noticing a difference, the car started with just a touch on the ignition and idled really nice. im yet to take it for a drive as the interior is all stripped out, but it climbs really nicely through the revs when reving at a stop. again, cant mention anything about economy change as i wont be able to drive it for another couple of weeks, but i will keep everyone posted as soon as i am able to start working out that sort of thing.

if anyone has any questions about that i did, please let me know and if i know the answer ill be glad to help!

cheers,

Nic

Hi !

Did you change something else like coil ,resistor, ballast, extended rotor or rotor cap, sparks or leads when you installed the pertronix ignitor lobe sensor ?
have you finally seen the improvment in fuel consumption or power ?
thx :)

taslucas
5th February 2013, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure he only fitted the pertronix and left everything else the same. Hopefully Nic will be about to confirm that

FanTapstic!

jujunini
5th February 2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks a lot ! And you think it is better to change other parts when installing pertronix ?

ripper
5th February 2013, 11:10 PM
I think it's better to just do the ignition module to start with. That way if you have issues you know where it's gone wrong.

jujunini
6th February 2013, 12:22 AM
It makes sense ! ;)
thank you for the advice.

rusty_nail
6th February 2013, 11:36 AM
hi guys, Lucas is absolutely correct! i left everything else as is in the event the system failed i was still able to go back to the old system! and it hasnt missed a beat and that was over 12 months ago! its great having no more points to constantly adjust!

Smile
7th February 2013, 06:38 PM
Hi mates,

I tried hard to understand but I am still confused... I already posted in another thread... Will you please help me with ordering the right one...
Details are here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14784-Pertronix-Hall-Effect-Vs-Lobe-Sensor-what-is-the-difference&p=328130&viewfull=1#post328130

Smile

taslucas
7th February 2013, 07:34 PM
Hi mates,

I tried hard to understand but I am still confused... I already posted in another thread... Will you please help me with ordering the right one...
Details are here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14784-Pertronix-Hall-Effect-Vs-Lobe-Sensor-what-is-the-difference&p=328130&viewfull=1#post328130

Smile

Hi smile, I replied to you in the other thread. Hope it helps

FanTapstic!

Smile
7th February 2013, 08:29 PM
And what's this 91763-thing???

GQ TANK
2nd March 2013, 01:35 AM
When I installed my 1762ls - I had to pull the dizz as I could not undo one of the screws.

I noted where the rotar button was pointing before I pulled the dizzy. And when I refitted the dizzy ensured the rotar was pointing in the same direction.

I already had a GT40r fitted by the PO

clamb3
9th July 2013, 10:02 PM
thanks for that mate, wasn't 100 percent sure of how to do it but now i am.

CorbinsGUte
6th February 2015, 10:35 PM
hey everyone I just fitted the lobe sensing pertronix kit to my old girl . now its all fitted up, it takes quite a bit to start. turns over for 4-5 seconds( before it took 1 second or less) then fires. also the tacho is all eratic while its idling to about 2000rpm then it comes good. any ideas?? im stumped. cheers

braz
9th February 2015, 09:07 AM
Hi Guys, Have a problem with my Dizzy, Installed a new Dizzy with a Petronix attached and bought a new Bosch GT40R Coil, I had a mate install the new dizzy however the issue I have is the resistor, I can't remember how the original wires where attached between the resistor and Coil and my Mechanic mate didn't take any pics before he installed the wiring, Ive seen the pics but doesn't help with my needs, any help be great…

taslucas
9th February 2015, 07:58 PM
Do you need a resistor with that coil?

braz
9th February 2015, 11:19 PM
Apparently it says I do mate, i was told the neg goes to the neg side of the coil and the pos goes to the resistor, I just don't know what goes where after that...

taslucas
10th February 2015, 07:59 AM
Hmmm, sorry I can't help with that. I fitted a pertronix flamethrower 2 coil and the resistor is not used.
I'm not sure but maybe the manual (downloadable from this site) may have a wiring diagram.
Or hopefully someone else will be along soon

braz
10th February 2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks Mate, Im gonna order a Flamethrower 2 of ebay, seems the easiest method to get the old girl going

GQ TANK
31st March 2015, 06:54 AM
Bosch GT40R Coil = need ballast resister, Bosch GT40 Coil + no ballast resistor

on crak there should be 12 volts going to the coil, while running around 9 volt using a ballast. But I would upgrade to a gt40 or a flame thower (im running a 1) as the pertonixs work better with 12 volts

Fox7
12th April 2015, 06:35 PM
Can anyone help with these wire, as to were they go when you get rid of the ballast resistor.
Cheers Russell

Check this diagram mate. Its from GQ Patrol Service Manual.

liftlid
31st July 2015, 02:42 PM
hey tusman, no there was no mention of changing anything on the car, the reason for this was that if somehing were to go wrong with the unit, i would be able to just re attach the old "point system" as a backup. what kit did you get? mine was the Pertronix Ignitor 1762LS(lobe sensing). cheers, nic
Is there a vendor on the forum that sells these?

rusty_nail
27th August 2015, 10:29 AM
Is there a vendor on the forum that sells these?

hey gary, how did you go with it mate? i couldnt get it off anyone on the forum i ended up going a random site.

liftlid
27th August 2015, 01:17 PM
hey gary, how did you go with it mate? i couldnt get it off anyone on the forum i ended up going a random site.
Haven't got one yet

amm009uk
1st August 2016, 07:56 AM
I still have some questions on this old thread!

I picked up a dizzy with the igniter 2 (hall effect) from the scrappy. Looks ok and I want to do a straight swap with the original dizzy. I'm assuming I can leave original coil and ballast resistor with all wires still intact - right?

If all is well I will buy the flamethrower coil next. In that case I need to remove ballast resistor and tape up the 2 wires - right?

taslucas
1st August 2016, 01:16 PM
Yep spot on mate. You can retain the original coil as it is only "recommended" to upgrade the coil. Then later you can put the flame thrower is as you've described.

>>>tappin from tassie

taslucas
1st August 2016, 01:17 PM
Keep an eye on your tacho as any problems with the pertronix or coil will show up as a flickering tacho needle.

>>>tappin from tassie

ripper
1st August 2016, 03:27 PM
If all is well I will buy the flamethrower coil next. In that case I need to remove ballast resistor and tape up the 2 wires - right?

I bought a Flamethrower and couldn't make it work. Got a mechanic to tune it after that and he said throw the new one away and keep using the original Bosch one. He reckons they're the only ones worth having.

taslucas
1st August 2016, 03:55 PM
My flamethrower has been installed and working for years now. You can damage them though. A mate with the same set up did the old 180 out trick and hurt his flame thrower coil so that it would miss but only under load.

>>>tappin from tassie

amm009uk
1st August 2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys much appreciated:groupwave:

Callum87
7th July 2021, 08:43 PM
sorry to drag up an old thread. I have installed a pertronix Hall effect and now I want to install a gt40 coil and bypass the ballast resistor.
Im just wondering what cables go where on the coil from the resistor?

I have attached a picture of my old coil.

MB
7th July 2021, 09:05 PM
Probably no help mate but back in a similar vintage petroleum pimping FJ40/45 days found fancy red gt40 coils problematic in the cold IIRC and reverted back to OEM + bog stock resistors…unsure memory [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk