PDA

View Full Version : GQ Bonnet Scoop - Mounting Options and Opinions

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 12:49 PM
Okey dokey

fairly much resolved to the fact I'm going to put a scoop in the bonnet over the top of the turbo ... 64 million dollar questions though:

1. Should I mount it facing forwards with a Thermo fan sucking air in to blow cold air down onto the turbo?
2. Should I mount it backwards with a Thermo fan sucking air out drawing the hot air away from the turbo (and presumably straight into the passengers face!! lmao)?
3. Am I missing any other possible mounting method?

My personal thinking at the moment is stock standard facing forward (option 1 above) but obviously open to suggestion. I figure I've gone to so much trouble getting the turbo setup etc, replacing the radiator, installing additional coolers, etc, that I should go the last step and get as much hot air out of the engine bay as possible by installing a scoop ...

Thoughts??

Sir Roofy
31st January 2012, 01:05 PM
think i would stay with number 1 blow hot air underneath the rig

option 2 might cause problems later in cold weather /cracked windscreen turbo heat is greater than just engine

taslucas
31st January 2012, 01:28 PM
Hot air rises. At low speeds maybe option 2 would be the go. Suck nice cool air in from under the car and as it heats it naturally rises and the fan is there to help this and the scoop is there to let it out. Maybe option 1 for greater speeds, the airflow will help ram cool air down the scoop.I have no idea what I'm talking about though! Lol.

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 01:36 PM
Hot air rises. At low speeds maybe option 2 would be the go. Suck nice cool air in from under the car and as it heats it naturally rises and the fan is there to help this and the scoop is there to let it out. Maybe option 1 for greater speeds, the airflow will help ram cool air down the scoop.I have no idea what I'm talking about though! Lol.

Thanks - realise hot air rises, but was thinking that the thermo fan would take care of that to a degree - without a fan, I think the obvious choice would be backwards installation as it is slow speed and traffic I'm thinking of more so. With the fan though (they can whack through a fair volume of air) I was thinking it would sorta kinda counteract the hot air and push it out under the rig??

Trust me, I have no idea either!!!! lmao

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks - realise hot air rises, but was thinking that the thermo fan would take care of that to a degree - without a fan, I think the obvious choice would be backwards installation as it is slow speed and traffic I'm thinking of more so. With the fan though (they can whack through a fair volume of air) I was thinking it would sorta kinda counteract the hot air and push it out under the rig??

Trust me, I have no idea either!!!! lmao

Annnnd - can sorta act as a turbo timer as such as I could keep it running once stopped to assist turbo cool down??

Yep, still no idea!!! lol

Dhuck
31st January 2012, 01:51 PM
Sideways just to be different but probably no benefit at all. lol

growler2058
31st January 2012, 01:53 PM
forward like the GU ????? I also have NFI

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 08:02 PM
Or something like this ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270903381471&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123

Would have to fix up the under side mounts to strengthen it back up (that underside looks an ugly job - have asked about visibility also) and could mount a single thermo on a duct to both intakes (sitting more on the turbo side) that lets air scream through at speed, but would draw it in when turned on in stop/start and/or slow stuff ...

Cleaned up and painted and stuck on Tank?? I reckon it would look the shizzel !!!!!! lmao ... maybe ...

NissanGQ4.2
31st January 2012, 08:09 PM
Why are you worried about heat issues??????????? Doesn't TANK have 2 be going for it 2 cause a build up of heat *LMAO*

Sorry couldn't help myself :)

NissanGQ4.2
31st January 2012, 08:09 PM
Or something like this ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270903381471&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123

Would have to fix up the under side mounts to strengthen it back up (that underside looks an ugly job - have asked about visibility also) and could mount a single thermo on a duct to both intakes (sitting more on the turbo side) that lets air scream through at speed, but would draw it in when turned on in stop/start and/or slow stuff ...

Cleaned up and painted and stuck on Tank?? I reckon it would look the shizzel !!!!!! lmao ... maybe ...

I would go double intake like the one pictured but have one facing forward and one facing rearward...

C now that would solve all ur problems

shantillylais
17th February 2012, 10:20 PM
this is mine

Bigrig
18th February 2012, 01:44 AM
this is mine

Saw your write up on another forum and quite simply a stunning job from start to finish!!!

MC97GQ
18th February 2012, 09:22 AM
Saw your write up on another forum and quite simply a stunning job from start to finish!!!

Your not wrong Scotty, the lady did a top job.

Acko
2nd May 2012, 08:41 PM
Personaly I'd go with the forward facing scoop. Anything above 40km/h & most thermos becomes useless but I do agree at low speeds it'd be helpfull. If I was going to do a rear facing scoop I'd make it full width of the bonnet but only very small say a 1" high opening which would not create a hot spot on part of the windscreen. Turbos do get hot but I'm pretty sure the hot air from the engine bay wouldn't cause any problems like cracked screens.

Bjorn, 92 GQ Wagon, TB42E, Auto, 3" lift.
If it's clean you're doing it wrong!

Silver
2nd May 2012, 10:05 PM
what will happen to that nice hot turbo when, in creek crossing, water runs up the bonnet, into the hole, and pours onto the turbo?

Bigrig
2nd May 2012, 10:14 PM
what will happen to that nice hot turbo when, in creek crossing, water runs up the bonnet, into the hole, and pours onto the turbo?

If its genuine (Garrett, Precision, etc) it'll simply cool down ... they are tested cooling from 600 degrees to ambient temperature (which they class as 24 degrees I think) to ensure they don't fail ...

A Chinese imitation like mine however?? Only time will tell when I finally get around to putting the grills on the bonnet.

megatexture
2nd May 2012, 10:29 PM
why don’t you have a switch to change direction of the fan wouldn’t be to hard they are reversible, you would have to have a off position also for the transition between in and out suction so you don’t cook the thermo. that’s what i would be doing and personally id face the scoop backwards as you will be getting the air flow from the radiator and it will allow the air to flow threw.

Bigrig
2nd May 2012, 10:41 PM
These are what I've planned to put in - picked them up weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to getting them on. So the theory goes, these face backwards and hence water can get in, but isn't "gulped" down into the engine bay like a forward facing scoop. They let the engine bay breath when stopped, and air force over the top of them at speed actually causes a vacuum effect as such and draws hot air out - subsequently letting more air in through the grill due to removing the air pocket ...

The bloke who sold them to me actually took a hit on money by not selling me the scoop (these were cheaper), but he has a comp patrol himself (and a cruiser ... eeeewwwww) and this is what he has used to better effect, in his opinion, than any scoop.

I'll know soon enough if they work ....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/14.jpg

taslucas
3rd May 2012, 01:04 PM
Good stuff, they will look pretty tough. Will you paint them to match the bonnet or leave em tough black?

Bigrig
3rd May 2012, 05:02 PM
Good stuff, they will look pretty tough. Will you paint them to match the bonnet or leave em tough black?

Tough black boss!!!

Robo
4th May 2012, 05:44 PM
Colour code always looks neat and doesn't look boy racer.
different colours tend to get the attention of the boys in blue.