PDA

View Full Version : Rear Auto Locker vs Shimming LSD

Bigrig
29th January 2012, 09:19 PM
Howdy

One of these days when I get my truck back (lol) I'm planning on locking up the rear. Have the air locker in front, but for what I want, figured I'd go a more 'set and forget' method for the rear.

I've heard the choices for rear auto lockers are limited (Detroit Softlocker is the only one I've found so far), and apparently the driving characteristics of them are pretty good compared to shimming the LSD.

That said, anyone done this/have some suggestions on which path to take?

Ben-e-boy
29th January 2012, 09:40 PM
I have a mate with a shimed diff he bought the .7mm shim off ebay and the diff was locked fully. so he machined up a .4 mm shim and a front auto locker and its gold..

Bigrig
29th January 2012, 09:46 PM
I have a mate with a shimed diff he bought the .7mm shim off ebay and the diff was locked fully. so he machined up a .4 mm shim and a front auto locker and its gold..

Drives alright?

Thanks mate

YNOT
29th January 2012, 09:50 PM
I like the idea of an auto locker in the rear, if I didn't already have a rear prolocker (TJM) that's what I would get. Last I heard rear detroit lockers were special order only - that may have changed.

Tony

Bigrig
29th January 2012, 09:58 PM
I like the idea of an auto locker in the rear, if I didn't already have a rear prolocker (TJM) that's what I would get. Last I heard rear detroit lockers were special order only - that may have changed.

Tony

Thanks mate - I have the Prolocker up front, but am leaning toward the auto locker for the rear ...

Ben-e-boy
29th January 2012, 10:09 PM
Drives alright?

Thanks mate

it does drive all right. goes well offroad too..... your lsd is pretty tight, so I think a .7mm might be too much. Also lokka,richmond(what i have in the front ) are'nt made for gq rear.

Brendon and al ( 80 and 100 series cruiser, you met at lcmp) both run auto lockers front and rear and brendons is a daily family bus they drive fine.

Bigrig
29th January 2012, 10:12 PM
it does drive all right. goes well offroad too..... your lsd is pretty tight, so I think a .7mm might be too much. Also lokka,richmond(what i have in the front ) are'nt made for gq rear.

Brendon and al ( 80 and 100 series cruiser, you met at lcmp) both run auto lockers front and rear and brendons is a daily family bus they drive fine.

Thanks mate - I'm thinking this is the way to go ...

Ben-e-boy
29th January 2012, 10:22 PM
you know as well as i do i am heavily bias toward auto lockers, hell i'll tell you to get rid of the pro locker

Bigrig
29th January 2012, 10:23 PM
you know as well as i do i am heavily bias toward auto lockers, hell i'll tell you to get rid of the pro locker

Haha - Prolocker is staying fella!!

thomas.h
17th February 2012, 04:05 PM
if you shim lock the rear lsd it makes it really obvious when turning tight at low speeds because your tyre chirps due to over rotation, auto lockers like the goanna systems aare better because they allow youc to unlock when turning but lock up as soon as power is applied due to the positive locking potential of there design

97_gq_lwb
17th February 2012, 05:00 PM
I have the late gq 4.6 diff in mine doesn't look like it's been touched as it was a shopping trolley when i got it and it chirps when i turn and accelerate.

Bigrig
17th February 2012, 05:35 PM
No auto locker for the rear that I can find without modification - whichever way the numbers are (might have them back to front) my GQ has 33 splines on the diff gears and the soft locker has 31 - expensive to machine the necessary adjustments ...

HippoNZ
17th February 2012, 06:02 PM
I'm not very clued up on them mate but I have heard that there not good for towing. Guys who tow a bit will have an air locker in the back and auto locker in the front. Not exactly sure why but hey im always open to any advice/opinion true or not lol