PDA

View Full Version : Label Removal

Cowboy
29th January 2012, 08:17 PM
Hi all,
This has probably been mentioned before,:smile: but has anyone got a method to remove the ST labels without damaging the paintwork?. Need to put some new ones on, so need to get rid of the old ones which are part missing, but the sticky background is still there.

Cheers

Rick

taslucas
29th January 2012, 08:36 PM
Warm them up with a heat gun or hair dryer. Only hot enough so you can still hold your hand on it. Fingernails are best as they don't scratch or be very careful and lift the edge a little with a razor blade (older, not so sharp blade won't cut into paint as easy). Be patient, and work your way up and down one side as you slowly get more of the sticker off. Prepsol or any automotive wax and grease remover to get the adhesive off. Goodluck, take your time.

Robo
30th January 2012, 12:11 AM
are you talking about double sided tape,
wax and grease remover semi soak a rag big enough to cover sticker.
try to maintain rag over tape to get it to soak for a while, otherwise it just flashes off, and not so effective.
rub a bit and after a while maybe 1 min it should start to shift.
you may need to add more remover to rag but this should do the trick nicely.

taslucas
30th January 2012, 02:32 PM
are you talking about double sided tape,
wax and grease remover semi soak a rag big enough to cover sticker.
try to maintain rag over tape to get it to soak for a while, otherwise it just flashes off, and not so effective.
rub a bit and after a while maybe 1 min it should start to shift.
you may need to add more remover to rag but this should do the trick nicely.

Think he's talking about the "st" stickers on a GU. I'd this correct rick?

MudRunnerTD
30th January 2012, 02:47 PM

Yeah i read it the same way, he is trying to remove the ST factory Decal sticker to refresh with new decals so as per your first post Lucas will be the winner i reckon.

All good advice though Robo, cheers

wildgu6
30th January 2012, 03:54 PM
Just be careful if using heat gun, doesn't take much for paint to blister.

taslucas
30th January 2012, 05:06 PM
Just be careful if using heat gun, doesn't take much for paint to blister.

Yeah keep running your hand over the area as you heat. If it starts to get too hot for your hand then it's getting too hot for the paint.
It take stickers off cars regularly (signwriter).

Cowboy
30th January 2012, 08:25 PM

Hey Tas,
Yep, spot on.
Sorry, maybe I shoulda been more specific. The 'ol "ST" factory labels are shot, on our GU, so wanting to replace them, but need to get the gunk off.
I'll give it a shot with the heat gun and a plactic scraper, (I use on the Caravan) and see what happens.

I have found a web from WA that sells the new ones reproduced, but has anyone have a preference for labels, such as these that are avail from other places.
We are in NSW, so that would be a good start..hehe

Cheers all

Cowboy
30th January 2012, 08:28 PM
Hey Mud,
Yep,spot on mate..
Cheers

Robo
2nd February 2012, 12:32 PM
My mistake you mean sticker on back door, ok.
But glue residue will still be removed the same way.
Isn't a Caramel wheel used to remove stickers and double side tape?.
It fits a drill, looks like a piece of caramel ,shaped like grinding wheel disc about thick 1" thick .
works to lift and rub off.
use " VERY LIGHT PRESSURE OK".

taslucas
2nd February 2012, 12:55 PM
My mistake you mean sticker on back door, ok.
But glue residue will still be removed the same way.
Isn't a Caramel wheel used to remove stickers and double side tape?.
It fits a drill, looks like a piece of caramel ,shaped like grinding wheel disc about thick 1" thick .
works to lift and rub off.
use " VERY LIGHT PRESSURE OK".

Yeah I really hate those things. Make heaps of mess and a bit of overkill for a small sticker. Best bet I'd to lift a little on the edge (10mm) just enough to get a grip with your fingers then pull really slowly, rather than using a scraper. This way most of the adhesive comes with the sticker. Turps for the remaining adhesive.

joelogozzo
9th February 2012, 01:34 PM
Removed my with a hairdryer.

Robo
10th February 2012, 02:04 PM
Yea, they can make a mess.
Used a caramel wheel to remove a 10 year old triple pin-stripe approx 1 metre long off door .
Mess, nothing a dustpan couldn't handle easily.
Someone saw a need for a tool to help remove stickers.
How many times do ya think pulling stickers by hand have.

Lifted paint from panel with it.
Stickers can and do break into pieces.
Hard to start lifting so you grab the trusty blade to start again, scratch/chip paint.

Not trying to backup my claim, just help present all methods, that's all.
Cheers

taslucas
10th February 2012, 02:36 PM
Yea, they can make a mess.
Used a caramel wheel to remove a 10 year old triple pin-stripe approx 1 metre long off door .
Mess, nothing a dustpan couldn't handle easily.
Someone saw a need for a tool to help remove stickers.
How many times do ya think pulling stickers by hand have.

Lifted paint from panel with it.
Stickers can and do break into pieces.
Hard to start lifting so you grab the trusty blade to start again, scratch/chip paint.

Not trying to backup my claim, just help present all methods, that's all.
Cheers

That's cool mate. I do it for a living. Just did an old cr@ppy van yesterday. Full graphics the entire length both sides. Probably more than 15 years old. Did it by hand. The paint was so shot that a caramel wheel would have gone thru it in an instant. They're good for some things for sure

stock patrol
12th February 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi all,
I find Eucalyptus oil for removing sticker backing and may do the trick with patience.

katena
16th March 2012, 08:24 PM
I have cut my own lettering / decals - using offcuts free from sign writers... use an art type knife or surgeons scalpel - they are available from art / drawing office suppliers / or maybe chemists - buy a holder - many of us ex drafters used them to scratch ink off old style tech drawings... very sharp - - we often only used the blades - cut letters, artwork , anything you want to have fun with , they dont have to be "original" - I made my own "SAFARI" sticker, ( in yellow !!!) on the left side , gonna get reflector tape for the right side - may change them to port and starboard colours ( red n green )

04OFF
16th March 2012, 09:09 PM
I just removed my "ST 4500" sticker last week, while i have used the heat gun razor type method for many stickers over the years, the GU ST 4500 factory stickers are NOT your standard vinyl sticker, they are very thin, its almost like a screen printed laminate, and when aged, will rip off in small bits instead of one continuous piece.

You can use a wet polish as a blade lube against the paint, but still risk damage, definatley the Caramel Wheel was by far the best and safest/easiest option. :biggrin: