PDA

View Full Version : Earth issue?

AB
29th January 2012, 06:26 PM
Had some slight problems whilst camping...I think I know what is causing it but thought I would double check.

My flash new rear 12V outlet is playing up.

The LED lights on the outlets were pulsating in 5 second intervals which caused the fridge to turn off. It also made the camper lights not work very well. You can put one light on but if you put the second light on then they would dim, etc.

Anyways, The earth cable on the outlet only goes to the inner panel next to the jack compartment. I ended up scratching the paint away to bare metal and used a large washer to try and get more into it and it kind of helped a little bit...lol

I'm assuming I need to get 6mm cable and run it back to the negative of the deep cycle?

YNOT
29th January 2012, 06:28 PM
6mm cable all the way to the battery (positive and negative) should do the job, definately sounds like an earth problem.

Tony

AB
29th January 2012, 06:33 PM
6mm cable all the way to the battery (positive and negative) should do the job, definately sounds like an earth problem.

Tony

Thanks mate, yeah I have 6mm positive cable but got lazy on the earth and tried to cheat...lol

Nothing worse then sitting on the Murray, 35 degrees kicking back in the river with a rod and go to the fridge for an icey cold beverage to find luke warm beer.....I turned red and had flames coming out of my nostrils....LMAO

Yendor
29th January 2012, 06:43 PM
I would say that's the problem as well.

Also how's your earth from your second battery to your engine.

AB
29th January 2012, 06:45 PM
I would say that's the problem as well.

Also how's your earth from your second battery to your engine.

works fine mate. I used proper earthing cable/strap and running the fridge or camper off that directly worked 100%. I luckily had the alligator clip ciggy plug accessory in the car as well so I managed to save the food and beer.

Ben-e-boy
29th January 2012, 09:17 PM
hey AB go to your local electrical suppliers and buy a neutral bar. mount it in the engine bay somewhere and run a big fat cable back to the battery. then bring all the negs back to the bar. this is on my to do list. it will ensure a proper negitive termination.

the 2 bolts on the left of the picture can handle large lugged cables. it is also handy for fault finds as all you negatives are in one place

http://www.selectrix.com/product/B12006IX.jpg

Robo
29th January 2012, 11:44 PM
Good Idea when using a fitting like pictured, is to solder the ends of wires you intend to fit into it.
this aids sealing copper from the elements.
add more body to the wires less likely to break.
when you tighten screws down they have something soft-ish to bite into, and not tear/cut wires.
it helps against vibration and screws coming lose.
this is a must have for trailer plug fittings, far less hassle.
Personally I form a short of a U shape loop in end of wire and solder over.
this gives a nice area for screw to clamp down on, just remember it still needs to fit hole when you form it.
This is the slow way to do the job for sure.
but trouble free motoring is what good times are all about hey.
and stainless wire won't accept solder.
Cheers

thewarrens
30th January 2012, 08:39 PM
you can do other body earthing straps too, I have always found this to work well when adding more electrics into the mix?

Ben-e-boy
30th January 2012, 08:52 PM
Good Idea when using a fitting like pictured, is to solder the ends of wires you intend to fit into it.
when you tighten screws down they have something soft-ish to bite into, and not tear/cut wires.
this gives a nice area for screw to clamp down on, just remember it still needs to fit hole when you form it.
Cheers

its a high vibration area you should be using bootlace crimps better than any solder joint

Ben-e-boy
30th January 2012, 08:54 PM
you can do other body earthing straps too, I have always found this to work well when adding more electrics into the mix?

I have used tinned copper earth braid I cut 3 pieces and platted it big enough to fit int 10mm2 lugs

Robo
31st January 2012, 01:30 PM
its a high vibration area you should be using bootlace crimps better than any solder joint

what does a bootlace crimp look like? .

AB
8th February 2012, 08:24 PM
Just confirming that this issue was indeed the earth cable only tapped into the inner rear panel.

I just ran 6mm cable to the chassis in the rear and everything works 100%

the ferret
8th February 2012, 08:51 PM
Cheers

A little dab of neat spirits of salts (Hydrochloric acid) will act as a flux on stainless!!
Cheers, the ferret.