PDA

View Full Version : GU Window Switch Problems

BillsGU
29th January 2012, 01:42 PM
The power window switches seem to be a problem on most GU Patrols. I have pulled mine appart, cleaned them and even used contact grease (a conductive carbon grease) on the switch contacts - but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know of a real fix or of an aftermarket replacement? No use buying a genuine Nissan part in this case because as far as I can tell they are just not very good.

Robo
30th January 2012, 12:07 AM
Does the switch actually test ok with a multi meter?,with switch removed from car.
Have you tried checking the earth, from switch and to it's earth point, maybe the problem lays here.

my third 256
30th January 2012, 02:42 AM
sounds like it is in the master switch in drivers door . checkthe printed board for dammage and solder any cracks and breaks
you will need a magnifing glass to see any cracks

whitey
30th January 2012, 01:16 PM
I had a similar problem with my front pasanger side window, ended up being the master switch in the drivers door, may pay to check that out.

BillsGU
30th January 2012, 04:31 PM
Does the switch actually test ok with a multi meter?,with switch removed from car.
Have you tried checking the earth, from switch and to it's earth point, maybe the problem lays here.

Problem with testing it with an ohm meter is it may look like a good connection - but when current is required to flow through it, it still may not work under load.

BillsGU
30th January 2012, 04:33 PM
I had a similar problem with my front pasanger side window, ended up being the master switch in the drivers door, may pay to check that out.

Didn't think of that because the master switch is the only one that WILL work (sometimes). Does the wiring for all the window switches go via the master switch?

BillsGU
30th January 2012, 04:35 PM
sounds like it is in the master switch in drivers door . checkthe printed board for dammage and solder any cracks and breaks
you will need a magnifing glass to see any cracks

As above, is the wiring common?

Yendor
30th January 2012, 04:35 PM
Didn't think of that because the master switch is the only one that WILL work (sometimes). Does the wiring for all the window switches go via the master switch?

Yes, they do.

BillsGU
21st November 2012, 12:23 PM
After months of mucking around and cleaning contacts and using ohm meters and everything else I can think of, the useless switches STILL do not work right. It usually involves lots of switching in each direction to get them working. Does anyone know of a replacement switch at a reasonable price?

mudski
23rd November 2012, 08:05 AM
If you can get the pcb out and on its own, put it on an oven tray upside down, soldiered side up, chucking in the oven at 190c minimum for around five or so minutes. This will re-melt the soldier( I think the solder needs an ambient temp of 160c to soften) on the pcb to make sure they all have good connection.
Sound wierd yes. But its and old trick done with computers graphics cards for when they have been runnnig hot for a very long time. I have repaired dozens of computer components doing this so it may be worth a shot. I once bought a graphics card stuffed for $50, working it would selll for $600, I stripped it, chucked it in the oven and I'm still using it now. If you have to replace it you may aswell try this. But make sure all the plastic parts are of the pcb.
Just google the oven trick and read for your self.

BillsGU
23rd November 2012, 10:31 AM
Well - I pulled the switches completely to pieces and reassembled them (needed a jeweler's eye piece) and cleaned all metal contacts by soaking them in a solvent, then ensuring all carbon was removed from contact surfaces. Assembly was "eventful", but with a LOT of patience they went back together (in one case screaming and kicking!). They all work perfectly now - but time will tell as to how long they last. Will still get new replacements if I can find some at the right price.

NP99
12th May 2013, 12:12 AM
I'm thinking of modding the non driver doors. I have a switch in mind and if successful will post it up!

BillsGU
12th May 2013, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking of modding the non driver doors. I have a switch in mind and if successful will post it up!

I would be interested. Still not happy with the way mine work.

P4trol
12th May 2013, 02:29 PM
Does everyone have exactly the same problem?

In mine, driver can make front passenger Window go up + down

Same passenger can only put Window up

my third 256
12th May 2013, 04:14 PM
pasanger window will go up and down from their switch

BillsGU
12th May 2013, 07:22 PM
Many Patrols have problems. The switches are crap.