PDA

View Full Version : Loud Engine ?Noisy

cybernout10
29th January 2012, 01:59 PM
The first thing that I noticed when I got my MK was the obvious engine sound coming through the cabin. And when I drive at at normal cruising speed of 60-80 the engine/gearbox sound is so loud..that I have to crank up the audio. Its a 1985 MK petol with 350K and is manual. Can something be tweaked..i mean the engine or gearbox. BTW i am not a very mechanical.. type

jc58nc
31st January 2012, 06:45 PM
I'd take a bet it's gearbox noise if it's a continuous whirring noise and could do with some new bearings. If you drive along and throw it into neutral but keep the engine revving does the noise just about stop ?

If the loud noise goes up and down with the engine revs then it could be the engine. First thing that comes to mind is the timing chain on the front of the engine, they are noisy from idle upwards but not as noisy as gearbox bearings.

taslucas
31st January 2012, 07:50 PM
Not sure if its a problem, probably just the lack of sound deadening in the old girl. pretty basic old things. I have an MQ shorty that was pretty loud when it used to get out on the highway.

cybernout10
1st February 2012, 03:31 AM
Thanks JC will check the engine and gearbox..tomorow. BTW taslucas any info where the soundproofing should be ..as you said probably it has dropped off.

taslucas
1st February 2012, 01:15 PM
I'll have a look on mine tonight. But what ment was that they don't come with much being an older vehicle, it might just be a normal amount of noise.