PDA

View Full Version : High country & trailers

rmoore
28th January 2012, 04:06 PM
G'day,

I'm from SA and usually tour in desert country, mostly with a boat trailer for inland rivers, or with my supply trailer. No issues towing out there.

But I'm keen to go to the High Country with my supply trailer in late Feb/early March.

Trailer weighs just over 1 t; it is very well built (overbuilt?) and has same track as my 4.8 L. Has a 6 ' drawbar & electric brakes. It's great to tow and makes the 4.8 even thirstier. But ya get that.

I don't have a winch.
I do have a chainsaw, muddies, drag chain, snatch-ems, hi Lift, tyre dogs, tyre gauges, quality compressor (I use them often), etc etc. Rear diff lock also. 2.5" lift.

So my question is : can I take the trailer?

Proposed route is from Mansfield to Eight Mile hut, Zeka Spur, wonongatta, Wombat, Eaglevale, dargo, Dargo High Plains, Twin Jeep track, Beveridge station, Mytrleford.

Or are the steep, winding & narrow tracks just too hard? What if I meet someone coming the other way on a long ridge?

Cheers for any advice/experiences.
:cheers:
Rick

MudRunnerTD
28th January 2012, 04:15 PM
Depending how long you have you'd have a better time parking the camper as a base camp and doing a couple of decent day trips, big loops. You'll have way more fun mate and see far more because you'll be travelling further.

I camped up at Suggan Buggan over New year and there is the River, a Drop toilet and not much else. Perfect spot for a base camp

Sir Roofy
28th January 2012, 05:00 PM
If you want to do zeka wombat wonnangatta station id suggest a base camp at talbotville ,nice grass area wich was the town site,drop toilets as well,old gold diggings along crooked river to the bulltown spur theres grant and the jolly sailor mine and old chimney
from dargo you can go thru to hotham

going to w/station you can drop down to eaglevale say for lunch then work your way back to wombat and drop into the station in the arvo just a suggestion .there a couple of good loops you can do
but make a base camp at either talbotville,eaglevale,or suggun buggan
enjoy your trip mate theres lots to see

rmoore
28th January 2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks fellas.

We have 3 to 4 full days in the region. Whole trip is 5 nights/6 days, Adelaide to Adelaide. A day either way travelling = 4 days in the high Country

So, from Adelaide, we'll stay near Seymour with a mate on night one; we'd make the western perimeter well & truly OK on the second night, even allowing for a late (or hangover) style start on day 2; that is somewhere around Lovick's Hut.

then 2 more nights; I can't see how to get to Talbotville or Wonongatta or similar as a base to radiate out from.

My query is really to do with towing on those tracks; not so much what a suitable route/ itinerary may be.

Cheers

Sir Roofy
28th January 2012, 08:00 PM
To many tight switch backs for a trailer on zeka better comming in from myrtleford end and going out wombat

any way have a good and safe trip dont forget some pics

BillsGU
29th January 2012, 01:08 PM
To many tight switch backs for a trailer on zeka better comming in from myrtleford end and going out wombat

any way have a good and safe trip dont forget some pics

I agree with roofy. Living in NE VIC I have spent a lot of time in the High Country and have seen many 4WDers come unstuck towing trailers. Even if a spot is easy to get into - all you need is a touch of rain and you are suddenly in real trouble - especially going downhill with a 1 ton trailer pushing you down a clay track and trying to overtake you.

My advice is the same as the rest of the guys - base camp somewhere and go in without the trailer. Its just too hard on the car and the nerves.

rmoore
5th February 2012, 11:53 AM
OK.
Decision made.
No trailer.
Cut back on what gets taken.
Hmmm, might have to leave more food behind - can't cut down on the red wine quantity, can I???...........heh, heh, heh.

Thanks all.

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2012, 01:03 PM
OK.
Decision made.
No trailer.
Hmmm, might have to leave more food behind - can't cut down on the red wine quantity, can I???...........heh, heh, heh.

Thanks all.

Good call mate, hey you know you can get some good red in a Box now....... Packs down well ;)

Sir Roofy
5th February 2012, 01:51 PM
ok.
Decision made.
No trailer.
Hmmm, might have to leave more food behind - can't cut down on the red wine quantity, can i???...........heh, heh, heh.

Thanks all.
dont for get to pack some warm clothes just in case ,and take extra tucker to have with your wine(yuck)
just in case the weather changes (nice and sunny,bugger now its snowing)be prepaired have a good trip

BillsGU
5th February 2012, 09:33 PM
Good call mate, hey you know you can get some good red in a Box now....... Packs down well ;)

AND you can use the bladder as a pillow !!!! More space saved !!!!