PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice!

djm
5th September 2010, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone!
I've recently purchased a patrol and i'm really lovin it, one thing thats bothering me is this noise i hear when i'm just taking off and rev's are low and i hear this deep kind of rattle which goes quickly as i pick up rev's and speed.
I noticed it when i was buying it but the guy said its a patrol thing and even let me test a newer one which did the same thing so i disregarded it, but its starting to annoy me.

If anyone knows anything about this or how to fix it maybe i'd really appreciate some advice. it's a 2005 4.2 TD
Cheers if anyone can help.

Finly Owner
5th September 2010, 11:20 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans nut house DJM
Someone with knowledge on that model will answer as soon as they are awake.
Tim

patch697
6th September 2010, 12:28 AM
Welcome on board djm, good to have you here.

I have a TB but have been in plenty of TD's & thay have all sounded the same as yours & I cant offer you any advice on how to stop it im sorry & I don't think it can be all together either.

Mate start a new thread in introductions & tell us a bit about yourself. Its a great way to get to know the members.

Cheers
Paul

Russell1974
6th September 2010, 01:30 AM
Hey and welcome I cant help on this one

Maxhead
6th September 2010, 07:58 AM
G'Day DJM, welcome, hope you resolve your issue or get used to it..haha

AB
6th September 2010, 08:41 AM
Welcome DJM, moved your thread here so others can find it better.

YNOT
6th September 2010, 11:08 AM
Without having heard your particular noise it's hard to be sure, but the TD42 can generate a bit of a resonance low in the rev range. Later black top engines like yours are better than the earlier silver top engines (which had heavier pistons), but it still varies from engine to engine.

Tony

DX grunt
6th September 2010, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the Forum, djm

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Chambo Off to Work We Go
24th September 2010, 09:19 PM
I've had a couple of diesels and they both sounded the same.
One was a 60 series cruiser, current one is a 08 GU6 patrol.

I am told they get growlier (very techincal term that!) as they get older.
Certainly noisier when cold.

ReefMagnet
25th September 2010, 04:41 PM
Here's a stab in the dark that may account for some rattly noises. There is a big heat shield joined to the body on top of the rear muffler. It is very thin metal and it fatigues at the four or so connection points. I can't say how rattly it would be if some of the connections have fatigued through as mine had broken completely and had been sitting on top of the muffler, for some time apparently, when I brought the car.