PDA

View Full Version : Death Wobbles

Woof
5th September 2010, 06:14 PM
I require some advice from the mechanically minded.
The Q has developed a really bad case of the death wobbles at around 70 ks/h, the only way I can stop it is to turn the steering wheel left but cannot do it all the time as you can imagine.
Tried swapping front right wheel for one of the back ones but that made no difference.
When I say bad case of the death wobbles I mean it shakes the steering so bad that I cannot hold onto it.
Any help in identifying the cause would be really appreciated

Woof
5th September 2010, 06:44 PM
Not sure, looks a bit old, will try and find out as it was on the Patrol when I got it.

YNOT
5th September 2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds like panhard rod bushes to me.

Tony

89GQ
5th September 2010, 09:29 PM
Sounds like panhard rod bushes to me.

TonyX2 replace them first, Cheap way to rule it out. That was the problem on mine when it done it!

NissanGQ4.2
6th September 2010, 08:57 PM
Had roughly the same problem a few months back, anywhere between 60-120ks/h I'd get the death wobbles, had to slow down to under 40ks/h before it would go away.
I replaced the steering damper, as it looked worse for wear and that solved the problem for me.

89GQ
6th September 2010, 10:22 PM
Thing is once youve had the wobbles, well as i found the drag link ball joints were flogged out so have one coming tomorrow. I tried the dampner first but it ended up being the panhard rod bushes. Easy way to check is get a bar behind them and see if theres any movement also look through the rubber for daylight or peices of rubber squashing out from the sides of the bush, if there is there had it. Easy to replace, a press is handy but also a vice with sockets works.Just remember the longer it does it the more wear on other bushes and ball joints. Good Luck.

Mrowka
7th September 2010, 08:52 PM
I have never had the wobbles on my Patrol but working on other cars I have learned that when a car has the wobbles, other things may wear out at a vastly accelerated rate.

So you may have to replace several parts.

Woof
7th September 2010, 08:56 PM
Well the Q won't go over 60kph now so off to the doctors tomorrow morning, may have to sell it as I have not been off the black stuff for nearly 4 months now.:mad:

patch697
7th September 2010, 09:25 PM
Well the Q won't go over 60kph now so off to the doctors tomorrow morning, may have to sell it as I have not been off the black stuff for nearly 4 months now.:mad:

You been in hospital or something Top Dog???

You ok mate?

Finly Owner
7th September 2010, 10:08 PM
Hey come clean Wayne. What are you hiding from us. I hope it's nothing to serious , Mate. But sounds ominous.

Woof
8th September 2010, 09:55 PM
Well the Death Wobbles are gone, new panhard bushes, wheel balance all round (300g out in the fronts)
RTC will require replacing very soon.
Thanks for the concern fellas, health is great (for an Old Dog) just work is a bit slow at the moment with all of this rain around and cannot afford to go driving.
May have a new job next February but won't know until December.

DX grunt
8th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Glad you got it sorted Doggy. And I hope things pick up for you soon mate. Remember, you've always got us to talk to if you need it.

And laugh at... Just like on Friday night when the Dockers slam the Cats. lololol. Nearly Show and Tell time, AB. hahahahahahahahah

patch697
8th September 2010, 10:42 PM
And laugh at... Just like on Friday night when the Dockers slam the Cats. lololol. Nearly Show and Tell time, AB. hahahahahahahahah

ONE for:hijacked: Top Dogs thread Rossco :049:....lololol

Woof
8th September 2010, 10:45 PM

Yep, you blokes keep me laughing at all the stuff you post........................I have never come across a forum like this and probably never will again, so glad that AB invited me along for the ride:cool:

Finly Owner
8th September 2010, 11:06 PM
Hopefully $$$$$ will come 2 u soon doggie

DX grunt
8th September 2010, 11:09 PM
ONE for:hijacked: Top Dogs thread Rossco :049:....lololol

I thought legend status was exempt from hijacking threads and infractions?? lololol

patch697
8th September 2010, 11:13 PM
I thought legend status was exempt from hijacking threads and infractions?? lololol

LOLOLOL.... I'll consider your current nervy state & will call this a friendly........lolol

Sorry Doggy Back to you...

octm71
10th September 2010, 08:30 PM
hi
i had the same problem with my gq, replaced bushes, no change. removed the swivel housing shims, still the same, got wheel balance, still no good. got new tyres last week and the wobble has gone, will wait and see how long for.
hope this helps you.
steve