PDA

View Full Version : Key battery dead?

OzzieNorm
26th January 2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Folks.
I picked up a 2006 ST on the weekend.

Came with 2x keys.

First key starts the engine. Beauty. That's how I go the beast home.

Second key gets the engine to crank - but it won't start.

Immobliser?

If the battery in the second key is flat, might that be the reason the engine won't fire?

If so, how do I change the battery (OR, do I need to get a new key)?

Guess all batteries run down eventually, so, there should be some easy method of getting back on the road...

TIA

Bigrig
26th January 2012, 10:08 AM
Hi Folks.

Came with 2x keys.

Immobliser?

If the battery in the second key is flat, might that be the reason the engine won't fire?

Guess all batteries run down eventually, so, there should be some easy method of getting back on the road...

TIA

Not heard of that one mate .. odd if it is the case as you wouldn't want to be out bush when the key went flat?

Anyone got some thoughts on this one???

Yendor
26th January 2012, 10:36 AM
There is no battery for the immobiliser inside the key.

It is just a chip that sends out a signal/code.

Your problem could be the key has been replaced and the chip has never been programmed.

snicko
26th January 2012, 10:46 PM
Hi Folks.

Came with 2x keys.

Immobliser?

TIA

Hi OzzieNorm

I have a 2006 with genuine Nissan keys with the buttons in the head.

There keys have batteries for the central locking which I have replaced in both sets.

Are your keys the genuine ones or aftermarket?

Like Yendor said sounds like the key hasn't been programmed to the car or the key doesn't have a chip so maybe you need to go to a Locksmith and he should be able to tell if it has a chip or not and give advise on your key.

OzzieNorm
26th January 2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks Yendor. Something for me to check. Does that chip need power to send out a signal?

Some extra info. When I press the remote central locking on Key #1, I hear the familiar clunk of the vehicle's locks being activated.
However, Key #2 does nothing. No clunk.

===
I thought about the keys having been changed - as neither key will fit into the door lock/key holes. Neither key in none of the 3x key holes. Still to determine if the holes are chockers with coal dust (seeing as how this vehicle spent 5.5 years running around a coal mine). Very dusty. And, locking the vehicle may not have been a consideration when it was on-site 24 hours a day. [See separate post on the dust in the locks...]

snicko
26th January 2012, 11:05 PM
The keys have a chip to start the car and buttons to work the central locking in the one key.

They work independently of each other.

Sounds like the battery for the central locking could be flat. As for the key cranking the engine but it wont start sounds like the key is not programmed.

Yendor
26th January 2012, 11:15 PM
The chip does not need power.

The keyless entry (remote) does require a battery.

Yes I did notice your other thread about the crud in locks.

I would get the central locking working first before worrying about the keyless entry.

OzzieNorm
30th January 2012, 06:08 PM
The key that works has 'NISSAN' and 'CE0498!' printed on one side; and 'NATS' on the other (which also contains the central locking buttons). Written on one side is: 'SIEMENS 13392MHZ 5WK****' (where * represents the final 4 digits - that I have not included in case it is a code that is specific to my keys...)

Hi OzzieNorm

I have a 2006 with genuine Nissan keys with the buttons in the head.

There keys have batteries for the central locking which I have replaced in both sets.

Are your keys the genuine ones or aftermarket?

Like Yendor said sounds like the key hasn't been programmed to the car or the key doesn't have a chip so maybe you need to go to a Locksmith and he should be able to tell if it has a chip or not and give advise on your key.

thewarrens
30th January 2012, 08:53 PM
I had the same issue 2 keys, and only one works and the other unlocks the doors a turns it over but did not start it? so went to Nissan and got them to "RE-CODE" the other key was about 30-40 bucks. I would say it could have lost if if it went flat? dunno?

my third 256
31st January 2012, 10:13 AM
put my keys down to a strong magnet and it wiped out the coads took to nissan and they recoded it for free (main North Nissan )theyr the greatest

OzzieNorm
1st February 2012, 07:43 PM
Have located the 2nd key. It is also stamped NISSAN.

Took that key into the dealer's Spare Parts today. Guy was happy to replace the battery for me. Just $7.20 for the battery (and installation was 'free'!) He said batteries last 4-5 years [depending upon how much usage].

Got home and pointed it at the vehicle and pressed the remote central locking. Nothing.
Put the key in the ignition and turned: cranked, but still would not fire.

STATUS QUO. [Maybe the old battery was not flat after all...]

So, now to take the vehicle into the dealer to have the Engine Management System reprogrammed to recognise the key...

The key that works has 'NISSAN' and 'CE0498!' printed on one side; and 'NATS' on the other (which also contains the central locking buttons). Written on one side is: 'SIEMENS 13392MHZ 5WK****' (where * represents the final 4 digits - that I have not included in case it is a code that is specific to my keys...)

snicko
1st February 2012, 09:21 PM
Have located the 2nd key. It is also stamped NISSAN.

Took that key into the dealer's Spare Parts today. Guy was happy to replace the battery for me. Just $7.20 for the battery (and installation was 'free'!) He said batteries last 4-5 years [depending upon how much usage].

Got home and pointed it at the vehicle and pressed the remote central locking. Nothing.
Put the key in the ignition and turned: cranked, but still would not fire.

STATUS QUO. [Maybe the old battery was not flat after all...]

So, now to take the vehicle into the dealer to have the Engine Management System reprogrammed to recognise the key...

Sounds like the key needs to be reprogrammed. Hopefully Nissan can reprogram the key and all will be sweet.

black-mav
1st February 2012, 09:33 PM
i have a maverick 1992 with central locking should it have a remote? or only key

Clunk
1st February 2012, 09:49 PM
i have a maverick 1992 with central locking should it have a remote? or only key

Pretty sure it's only key operated mate, my 94 GQ is key operated. Pretty sure you can get them done remotely with an aftermarket kit....... Can do your immobiliser too

MudRunnerTD
1st February 2012, 10:32 PM

Pretty sure it's only key operated mate, my 94 GQ is key operated. Pretty sure you can get them done remotely with an aftermarket kit....... Can do your immobiliser too

Yep its a key entry central locking system on the Mavs, Good time to have an alarm fitted with keyless entry!!! Everything is there to hook it all up. Do it you know you want to ;)

Clunk
1st February 2012, 10:41 PM
Yep its a key entry central locking system on the Mavs, Good time to have an alarm fitted with keyless entry!!! Everything is there to hook it all up. Do it you know you want to ;)

Oh I do I do I do, you know I do!!!!!! Lol.... Did it on the missus old feroza, think it costs around 250 to get it done.

Silver
2nd February 2012, 12:06 AM
One more reason for me to stick with a GQ. I just know I'd somehow drown one of those electronic keys in salt water and kill it :-)

Sretch
2nd February 2012, 02:40 PM
Also check to make sure the blue chip hasn't fallen out of the key.

Paul