PDA

View Full Version : Air circulation has just one position - demist

OzzieNorm
25th January 2012, 11:52 PM
Hi Folks.
I have a 2006 ST 3.0TD auto with 92K that has spent its life to date on top of a coal mine. Dust everywhere!!! Every day.

Whilst the cabin air control has multiple options, e.g., feet, face, demist, the air only goes to demist - regardless of which position setting is selected.

Why might that be so?

What do I need to do to disassemble in order to check/repair?

Thanks

MudRunnerTD
26th January 2012, 12:18 AM
Hey Ozzie, i was into this on the weekend mate.

Take out the ashtray, remove the screw under it. Remove the screw from each side of the centre gear stick surround. Unscrew the gear stick knobs to both sticks. From the passenger side lift the surround up and twist around the hand brake and remove entirely. You will likely have to adjust and push the front seats all the way back on their tracks.

remove the 2 screws below the 12v plug and sub tank switch panel and remove panel.

Undo the 2 screws below the next panel up that should be just under the radio i think then this is clipped into place, with a flat screw driver gently pry off from the side and the panel will unclip and you will be able to remove this panel without very much trouble.

Once you have this off you will be looking at 3 screws holding the final panel on at the top that has the GPS or stash box in it. This then also clips out, i found the centre clip to be the most difficult to pry but got it in the end, it needs to be pressed downwards in the centre and out. then you should have all panels out of your way.

All of the duct selection mechanisms are behind that, They are mechanical and not electric solenoids and you should be able to fix any linkages that are out of whack, if necessary you may need to unscrew the radio and slide that out which is very very simple and may make access to assess it much easier.

Good luck mate, all will become clear when you can see what is what.

Cheers MR

OzzieNorm
29th February 2012, 01:09 PM
Hi MR. Thanks to your advice, I have identified and resolved the problem.

There is a cable that connects the selector/position dial to the lug that controls the various doors/directors in the air distribution assembly. The cable's sheath/casing is anchored at each end (or should be!). Mine had lost the clip that anchored the sheath at the control (front end). Local dealer was able to source the necessary clip. ["First time in 20 odd years of supplying Nissan spare parts that he had seem such a clip"! First time for everything.]

Cable is now clipped into place and the air distribution works 'just like a new one'.

Thanks again.