PDA

View Full Version : Central Locking not locking

OzzieNorm
26th January 2012, 12:44 AM
Hi Folks.
I have a 2006 ST 3.0TD auto with 92K that has spent its life to date on top of a coal mine. Dust everywhere!!! Every day.

When I press the central locking button on my remote to lock the door, I can hear a 'clunk' (as I expect with central locking). However, NONE of the doors lock.
Looking inside the vehicle, all the lock buttons on the inside door handles are constantly in the 'locked' position - and seem stuck in the locked position ('cause I can't manually move the lock tab to 'Open'.

Might I have just 1 central problem - or might I have a problem with each door/lock (x5)?

Advice appreciated.
Thanks

OzzieNorm
27th January 2012, 12:28 AM
Perhaps this post on another forum may be relevant . I hope not - as I do not want to be drilling apart ALL the catch assemblies...

Could all 5 doors/locks have the same problem? Or is something more central the more likely cause?

Will investigate further...

Bigrig
27th January 2012, 08:58 AM
Sounds electrical ... One for Yendor and crew!!

Where you at lads!!!!

Yendor
28th January 2012, 01:04 AM
Hi Folks.
I have a 2006 ST 3.0TD auto with 92K that has spent its life to date on top of a coal mine. Dust everywhere!!! Every day.

When I press the central locking button on my remote to lock the door, I can hear a 'clunk' (as I expect with central locking). However, NONE of the doors lock.
Looking inside the vehicle, all the lock buttons on the inside door handles are constantly in the 'locked' position - and seem stuck in the locked position ('cause I can't manually move the lock tab to 'Open'.

Might I have just 1 central problem - or might I have a problem with each door/lock (x5)?

Advice appreciated.
Thanks

Can you open and close all doors or are they all locked shut?

Were you able to source a key for the driver side door lock?

Robo
28th January 2012, 09:24 PM
recently helped my young bloke fix a problem sounding bit like yours.
his levers, rods etc inside the door were simply stuck from age, and lack of maintenance.
sounds like coal dust may of clogged things up.
sprayed wd40 inside door over pivots etc and working again no problem took a couple of manual movements of rods buy hand to help free em and some more spray to assist further.
good luck

OzzieNorm
30th January 2012, 05:57 PM
Can you open and close all doors or are they all locked shut?

Were you able to source a key for the driver side door lock?

All doors open - and are always unlocked. The vehicle cannot be secured at the moment.

I have keys, however, the key was not able to be inserted fully into the locks. I am treating the lock barrels for a build up of dust - which is preventing the insertion of the key.

Have been able to 'clear' one barrel using a can of compressed air. [Just did one for the experiment.] Now that the key is able to be inserted, the lock does not wish to rotate. Have not resorted to force.

Will take on Robo's suggestion. Will remove the front passenger's door's trim and apply the WD40; then try to manually induce the rods and bits to start to move. Then work around the car. Maybe rear passenger's near side door next - as it has no key/barrel to add to the complication...

Yendor
30th January 2012, 06:46 PM
You getting a little bit closer.

When you have the front door trims off you can also disconnect the rods from the back of the door lock barrel, you will be then able to move this rod up and down as well, while you lube it.

It strange that the inside lock knobs are in the locked position but the doors can be opened, you may also have bent rods.

Robo
31st January 2012, 02:40 PM
when you remove trims, it shouldn't be to hard to remove lock barrel at same time.
rinse barrel by hand off the car with WD or something similar and air, and flush clean with something to remove all traces of oil, and lube with graphite dust only. Dry lube can't attract stick dirt/dust to jamb assembly and works a treat.