PDA

View Full Version : Gu hidden glovebox

patrol2.8
20th January 2012, 10:22 PM
My son started my hidden glove box this afternoon thought id post some pics think hes doing a great job plan is to fit in some sockets for power and also put an inverter in there basicly hes got a frree reign to do it how he suits him will post finished pics when he is done

taslucas
20th January 2012, 10:30 PM
Seen this done a few times, quite s nifty idea. Just as long as you don't have the model with airbags! A nice bit of carpet for lining to stop everything getting scratched. Use a strong magnetic latch to close it and it is definitely a hidden box:-)

DX grunt
21st January 2012, 12:06 AM
Seen this done a few times, quite s nifty idea. Just as long as you don't have the model with airbags! A nice bit of carpet for lining to stop everything getting scratched. Use a strong magnetic latch to close it and it is definitely a hidden box:-)

Love the idea. and I'll be watching the build up.

No airbag, leckie windows or pop up aerial probs with my DX ute, either. lol

Rossco

patrol2.8
21st January 2012, 11:38 AM
will keep updated on how it goes thinking of recessing the bottom as theres enough room to go a bit deeper(will then have a secret part to hide wallet etc when at the beach etc) it all deppends on if we can actually fit it in through the opening in the dash

taslucas
21st January 2012, 12:02 PM
will keep updated on how it goes thinking of recessing the bottom as theres enough room to go a bit deeper(will then have a secret part to hide wallet etc when at the beach etc) it all deppends on if we can actually fit it in through the opening in the dash

It's not secret anymore! Hahaha

patrol2.8
21st January 2012, 12:13 PM
yeah was thinking that as i wrote it but hey what can you do hehehehehe

patrol2.8
27th January 2012, 07:58 PM
Update the actual cuting and welding finished painted the under side and as you see in the pics my son has added a bracket to hold the inverter in place all i have to do now is put in a couple of outlets for power and sort the best way to put the front cover on then carpet and install.
Can anyone tell me how hot an inverter gets in use should i paint that area or will carpet be ok

ilovebeer
29th January 2012, 12:24 PM
That inverter looks to be about an 80or 100 watt, as long as the limit isn't exceeded it should be ok and the air space at the bottom of it will have to be kept clear, that being said it is right under the dash which gets bloody hot on warm days in the sun, just keep an eye on it from time to time.
I would paint only for rust protection and I would carpet it aswell(to protect phones gps etc.), great idea, excellent job, looks good.

patrol2.8
29th January 2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks ilovebeer think my sons doing a good job the inverter is rated at 150 watts and will most likley never be used i originaly bought it to power the laptop but have since found a bettter way to do it so is only really there as just in case its got a usb port as well so probably ok for charging a phone just need to decide how im going to mount the lid and finish off with carpet

daves
29th January 2012, 08:18 PM
what a awesome idea,
like ya work

mrcrazydude
31st January 2012, 06:58 AM
Don't s'pose he could be bribed to do another one?? :bowdown:
Been looking at these with envy for a while, but don't have access to the gear to do a clean one like that myself. Good work!

patrol2.8
1st February 2012, 08:17 AM
l will ask him and i will post the finished pics of it just as soon as i get it done unfortunatly work has been getting in the way at the momment

mrcrazydude
2nd February 2012, 09:11 AM
l will ask him and i will post the finished pics of it just as soon as i get it done unfortunatly work has been getting in the way at the momment

yeah, I think we all know about that one!

patrol2.8
3rd February 2012, 10:47 PM
well got itcarpeted and in wired up the power now have to fit the lid
UPDATE
lid now fitted still thinking about a catch to keep it secure cant find the lead for my phone to put up pics dont supose anybodys seen it ? ended up putting in another fuse box behind the left side kick panel so all power fused correctly fingers crossed. will probably finish it off after we get back now as im running out of time have just over a week to get the radiator out and flushed plus an oil change as we are heading off to the pilbara region to visit our daughter

thebeatjackson
19th February 2012, 11:40 PM
looks great! I want one.

patrol2.8
5th March 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for an update after 6000 ks+glove box was worth doing still got 3weeks of this trip left comimg down the coast lome from port hedland back to vic

lufkin
5th March 2012, 09:43 PM
may i ask exactly how he got the compartment opened?

axl
6th March 2012, 06:31 PM
If you hinged it at the bottom you could use the cover like an airline tray table (just make sure it's folded up before landing).

MC97GQ
7th March 2012, 02:22 PM
Nice work on the hidden glovebox,

Although, you know what I would find amusing, with all these hidden glove boxes on Patrols now, is for some half witted thief trying to steal someones goodies from an air bag equipped Patrol thinking they are accessing their hidden glove box and BLAM an airbag to the head.

Would be a funniest home video for sure.

taslucas
7th March 2012, 03:02 PM
Hahaha yeah that would be funny as!

Lucas

2TROLLFAM
7th March 2012, 03:06 PM
Nice work on the hidden glovebox,

Although, you know what I would find amusing, with all these hidden glove boxes on Patrols now, is some half witted thief trying to steal someones goodies from an air bag equipped Patrol thinking they are accessing there hidden glove box and BLAM an airbag to the head.

Would be a funniest home video for sure.

That would be an absolute crack up !! LOL

bazzad
9th March 2012, 10:20 PM
I was looking at that very space in my 01 GU and did not know what to do with it. That is really good work, you have inspired me. Thanks for sharing it.

outbackjack
11th March 2012, 09:13 PM
Any updates???

the godfather
12th March 2012, 03:03 PM
Sweet. I am thinking that I might have to do the same.

patrol2.8
17th March 2012, 09:46 PM
G`day guys will put up some updates soon i have just got back from a 4week outback run drove up to see my daughter in port hedland for her birthday what i can tell you is i havnt put a locking mechanism on it and the door didnt fall open once and my wife just found it tobe so handy will betalking to my son to see if i can get him to make some if he will will post up how much he wants for them

patrol2.8
17th March 2012, 10:01 PM
just thinking about these glove boxes how hard would it be to fit a dash out of an 08 model into a 98 model reason being the bag comes from the top of the dash thinkig it could be converted to a drinks cooler what do you think or has anyone heard of it being done

Paul C
26th June 2012, 02:44 PM
Had never heard or thought of doing this. Wow. I am going to start building me one tonight. Thanks a bunch for the ideas guys. Bloody awesome.

mudski
26th June 2012, 04:29 PM
^^^
I got the lazies. Anyone wanna build one for me?:smileyvault-cute-bi

Stropp
26th June 2012, 06:12 PM
I think one of those magnetic push latches would be the go for the door.

patrol2.8
26th June 2012, 06:41 PM
gunna have to getthese update pics on you guys just made me realise i havnt done it

threedogs
1st July 2012, 07:18 AM
I think 4WD action did a DIY section on this subject a few years ago, great idea, was going to put a 7" DVD player in the padded part so my mates could watch some adult vision on the way to the Murray. but who needs two horny fisherman at camp, even the wild life wouldn't be safe.

patrol2.8
17th July 2012, 11:58 AM
That scares me just thinking about it hehehehehehe

dsmith
31st July 2012, 08:40 PM
Is all that metal going to hurt your missus head when she headbutts it in a crash?

patrol2.8
1st August 2012, 08:45 AM
Is all that metal going to hurt your missus head when she headbutts it in a crash?

Probably no more than the orginal bar that runs behind the dash through that section

Stropp
1st August 2012, 10:30 AM
any updates on the final pics and if your son is interested in making a few?? would love something like that for mine.

patrol2.8
2nd August 2012, 10:12 PM
stropp heading off camping tomorrow will get somepics up soon i cant seem to upload pics trying to work out why will talk to him about making some he about to move out in next couple of weeks as he needs some room for the things he is starting to make he hasjust finished some laptop holders for gu and gq testing them out this weekend so will post some pics of them as well if all goes good and i can fix the uploading problem

krbrooking
15th August 2012, 08:11 PM
looks awsome mate. how important is the airbags anyway I have the 2.8 with airbags but i dont think they would work as my bull bar is not a airbag bar and how difficult would it be to remove the airbag and when can I put an order in for mine.????

patrol2.8
17th August 2012, 06:51 PM
Ok sorry guys had a little mishap at Portland got a little to much air and knocked the cam position sensor out of whack which shut the car down ? spent a fews
days trying to sort it out then realised my ecu talk might have recorded a fault (can be alittle slow at times) thats how i found the problem great little unit so now thats sorted i can get on with a few more things Krbrooking not sure how you would remove an air bag or if thats even legal mine only has the drivers airbag Stopp mentioned to my son about doing some glove boxes and what there worth he said he would look into it and as for price would be around the $150.00 mark to make but he has just moved out and will be setting up his garage over the next few weeks he has also made up a few laptop holders for gu`s will put up a post with pics soon

Mudboss
30th October 2012, 02:05 PM
What an awsome idear. im about to start that right now, just wondering how you hinged the front and latched it,

thanx

belzi82
31st October 2012, 06:25 AM
Looks good. Just wat a gir needs to hid stuff from the other half.

Cuppa
2nd November 2012, 06:12 PM
Ok sorry guys had a little mishap at Portland got a little to much air and knocked the cam position sensor out of whack which shut the car down ? spent a fews
days trying to sort it out then realised my ecu talk might have recorded a fault (can be alittle slow at times) thats how i found the problem great little unit so now thats sorted i can get on with a few more things Krbrooking not sure how you would remove an air bag or if thats even legal mine only has the drivers airbag Stopp mentioned to my son about doing some glove boxes and what there worth he said he would look into it and as for price would be around the $150.00 mark to make but he has just moved out and will be setting up his garage over the next few weeks he has also made up a few laptop holders for gu`s will put up a post with pics soon

Not sure whereabouts in Vic your son is, but if possible I'm also interested in having him do the glovebox thing in my DX. I'm in Gippsland, near Traralgon.

cheers
Cuppa

patrol2.8
12th November 2012, 10:32 AM
Not sure whereabouts in Vic your son is, but if possible I'm also interested in having him do the glovebox thing in my DX. I'm in Gippsland, near Traralgon.

cheers
Cuppa
Sorry guys been in hibernation for a while will get onto jnr he has had a few requests about these glove boxes so will see what i can do

P4trol
12th November 2012, 11:50 PM
I reckon it could be a popular thing if you got some kits going. As long is there isn't too much variation between series' dashes. Either you will end up making a steady profit from now until the Y61 ends in museums, or at least a good amount until someone else knocks up one.

My idea for you is:

Produce two different levels of kit: Bare components, and pre-built.

Offer some way of letting people customise the interior shelves for whatever they have: tablet, phone, 12v outlet knockout etc. So one basic design, but have the shelf bit able to be adapted two or three ways to suit the buyer.

Good luck!

patrol2.8
5th December 2012, 07:24 AM
Quick up date nothing will be happening till after christmas at this stage

Cuppa
5th December 2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for updating us. Please let us know how things are panning out in the new year.

Cuppa

largey
5th January 2013, 09:44 AM
How these goin

patrol2.8
22nd January 2013, 02:40 PM
Update jnr updated to a 2003 gu just before christmas and has been flat out working on that so hopefully soon i can convince him to do something

Lowie
28th January 2013, 08:13 PM
Nice job. Pity I've got airbags... :-(

soronation
25th June 2013, 11:53 PM
Good idea extra storeage is always good

SonOf
29th June 2013, 09:41 AM
Great idea, will have to look at this now I have a 99gu. I have a hideaway safe under the seat but this is much nicer . Your son is pretty good with the metal work to.

patrol2.8
26th July 2013, 09:07 PM
Great idea, will have to look at this now I have a 99gu. I have a hideaway safe under the seat but this is much nicer . Your son is pretty good with the metal work to.
Thanks he is pretty talented doing this stuff he`s had to move back home for a while and with all the stuff they brought back with them theres no room and his job is taking up 90 percent of his time now so its pretty hard to get him to make anything now

Cuppa
26th July 2013, 09:59 PM
A couple of DIY 2nd gloveboxes here.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20566#post399695

threedogs
27th July 2013, 08:04 AM
@ "SonOf" Its not very hide away now you've told the world LOL