PDA

View Full Version : cheap reverse lights DIY

Timmo
19th January 2012, 11:23 PM
well after many times reversing up the drive way with only the standard light on the troll i decided to fix the problem of not having enough light, after a couple of set ups and not having much money me and my old man came up with this solution to the problem all we did was get some cable joined it to the revrse cable drilled in 2 small 55 wat lights at the back and wammo problem solved, i know there are better ways out there but this is cheap and does the job fine for me .

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/timmofff/DSCF2149-1.jpg

rusty_nail
19th January 2012, 11:30 PM
very nice, are they mounted inline with the tow bar? looks good, but its a tiny pic

Clunk
19th January 2012, 11:35 PM
nice idea Tim, any chance you can load up a larger pic, I need my x10 magnifying glass to see this one!!!!!! lol

Timmo
19th January 2012, 11:35 PM
all i did was drill into the tow bar rail and self tapped some metal screws inhttp://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/timmofff/DSCF2149.jpg

Clunk
19th January 2012, 11:37 PM
ahhh there ya go, heaps better, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost ya???

rusty_nail
19th January 2012, 11:37 PM
very good, love the doubling up, and heaps easier than having to manufacture somthing to come up off the spare typre mount

Timmo
19th January 2012, 11:45 PM
all up it costed me 30 bucks for a cheap set of 55 watt lights from supa cheap and i already had the cable and crimps and heat shrink

Clunk
19th January 2012, 11:47 PM
all up it costed me 30 bucks for a cheap set of 55 watt lights from supa cheap and i already had the cable and crimps and heat shrink

bloody bargain mate, gotta be happy with that

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2012, 11:53 PM
Looks neat Timbo,

Not sure , but you might consider putting in a relay from your reverse light wire feed to switch those on mate, your reverse circuit will be small and designed for a single globe of about 5w only. a relay used with the switching circuit from your reverse light will sort it out and cost you next to nothing and very little time or effort. Better to be safe than sorry.

pm Yendor if in doubt. All good bet it makes a MASSIVE Difference!

Timmo
20th January 2012, 12:28 AM
thanks man i will do once i know how to im not to good with all this stuff but i will look into it and save the car before she gets hurt......

Clunk
20th January 2012, 12:34 AM
Looks neat Timbo,

Not sure , but you might consider putting in a relay from your reverse light wire feed to switch those on mate, your reverse circuit will be small and designed for a single globe of about 5w only. a relay used with the switching circuit from your reverse light will sort it out and cost you next to nothing and very little time or effort. Better to be safe than sorry.

pm Yendor if in doubt. All good bet it makes a MASSIVE Difference!

cheers MR, forgot all about the extra current draw

stewie81
8th March 2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, however I'm a first time visitor.
I have a series III gu and I'm also looking at some extra reverse lights. Now I have never touched anything electrical in any car so please excuse my potential dumbness.
In the above posts it refers to a relay, would one be needed if using LED lights?

JoeG
8th March 2012, 11:43 AM
The reversing light globes are probably 18watt each
If you replace them with LED bulbs then you can fit LED reversing lights to a total of 36watts with no worries and won't require a relay, just splice off the positive to the existing bulbs.
I've always fitted relays and used cheap spot lights similar to the above, but will try some LED's soon , time will tell if the LED's last
Joe

Hey Guys,

I have a series III gu and I'm also looking at some extra reverse lights. Now I have never touched anything electrical in any car so please excuse my potential dumbness.
In the above posts it refers to a relay, would one be needed if using LED lights?

Tweakedoffroad
8th March 2012, 01:20 PM
Hey mate I sell led lights and can do a plug and play loom which is a three way switch one position reverse light next position off and the final position camp lights works a treat just pm me for more details
Cheers Russ

Hey Guys,

nickverms
10th July 2012, 02:28 PM
Great Job!

dsmith
31st July 2012, 09:48 PM
I second the idea of LED lights. I've got me some LED flood lights that only draw 0.5 Amps which means there are no dramas wiring it straight to the reverse light circuit. Heaps easier than having to set up a relay.