PDA

View Full Version : HID lights for GU patrol

altech
18th January 2012, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys, anyone had aftermarket HID replacement lights fitted to there GU and what range did you get e.g.(4300k or 6000k ) and do there have hi/low beam regards Alex

AB
18th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Fletcha is the guy to speak to about this mate and he has them on his GU. Hopefully he sees this and can help you out mate.

Dark 1
19th January 2012, 12:19 AM
I've got 4300k in mine & like them. 4300 is a more natural bright light & 6000 is more of blue bright light. They are hi/low hope this helps.

Cheers Kelvin.

Dr Gary
19th January 2012, 03:35 PM
Just fitted HID to my 2006 GU, they certainly light things up. I have 6000k and they don't have much blue in them--8000K is really blue.
I have an issue with the focus being too high, so I am looking to resolve that. I have a post under manual to see if the book shows the height adjustment
Mounting ballasts required a couple of mounting plates and i needed to remove the air cleaner (3 nuts under the guard) and the washer bottle (battery out is easier).
Enjoy.

stock patrol
19th January 2012, 04:09 PM
Just fitted HID to my 2006 GU, they certainly light things up. I have 6000k and they don't have much blue in them--8000K is really blue.
I have an issue with the focus being too high, so I am looking to resolve that. I have a post under manual to see if the book shows the height adjustment
Mounting ballasts required a couple of mounting plates and i needed to remove the air cleaner (3 nuts under the guard) and the washer bottle (battery out is easier).
Enjoy.

I think anything done on the left side in regard to headlight replacement needs the air cleaner out of the way, a pain in the a.....!

altech
19th January 2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys , Hmmmm not going to install in 15mins like it said on ebay , LOL cheers Alex

grubkenbel
20th January 2012, 01:39 AM
Just finished Putting a HID Conversion kit in.
Pretty easy to do

Yes they have high / low beam and are bright Just tested them right now

grubkenbel
20th January 2012, 01:43 AM
uummn just fitted one and didnt need to pull battery or washer bottle or air out of the way slides under and between easy as ;-)

Focus is only too high if you have put the 3 pin plug in to your main light wires the wrong way as you will be on high beam instead of low beam ( flick your high beam on and see if they are low beam and vice versa if they do that pull out 3 pin and turn it round

YNOT
20th January 2012, 07:17 AM
I urge anyone who fits HID's to their headlights to be considerate of other road uses safety and adjust your headlights down. I do a lot of night driving and I'm tired of being blinded by inconsiderate people who have illegally fitted HID's to their headlights and not adjusted them down.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO FIT HID BULBS TO HEADLIGHTS THAT WERE NOT FACTORY FITTED WITH HID BULBS.

Tony

BearGUST
20th January 2012, 09:00 AM
I couldn't agree more Tony.
They are illegal for a reason. The attitude of "oh well, I don't have to look at them" annoys the hell out of me!

Dr Gary
20th January 2012, 10:03 AM
uummn just fitted one and didnt need to pull battery or washer bottle or air out of the way slides under and between easy as ;-)

Focus is only too high if you have put the 3 pin plug in to your main light wires the wrong way as you will be on high beam instead of low beam ( flick your high beam on and see if they are low beam and vice versa if they do that pull out 3 pin and turn it round

The beams are correct--high beam is too high, low beam about where high should be. BTW I don't think you can insert the 3 pin plug any way but correctly.

the evil twin
20th January 2012, 06:06 PM
As prev posted - The plug will only go one way

As prev posted - If you do not adjust the alignment you WILL blind oncoming traffic as you are 'effectively' on hi beam

Unlike GQ's that control the light pattern by the lens GU's rely on the reflector to correctly focus the beam so even when you do adjust them it still gives oncoming traffic the irrits because the focal length of the HID bulb is different to the Incandescents so the reflector sprays the light no matter were you aim it.

"I have HIDS & no-one every flashes me tho"... is because oncoming drivers don't want their retinas melted.
We had 1 GU in our club with HID Main beams and he is always made the Leader at night not because his lights are better but because if he drives behind you for more than 5 minutes it is hard to resist the urge to smash his lights to smithereens at the next red traffic light. He has removed them due to popular demand.

Now that is all in the dry but when the road is wet all that light you so diligently directed down now gets reflected off the wet surface.

I LOVE HID driving lights, indeed I have 4 (two 35 watt spreads and two 50 watt spots) on my own vehicle.

I HATE after market HID in faceted reflector headlights with a passion. I run +70 Incandescents in my vehicle and they are more than adequate IMHO as they are correctly focussed and can be correctly aligned.

I do not care what anyone says to the contrary but you CANNOT correctly align HID's in GU factory reflectors. It is mechanically impossible and one of the most discourteous or indeed dangerous things you can do to other road users on wet bitumen at night.

Yendor
20th January 2012, 09:45 PM
I urge anyone who fits HID's to their headlights to be considerate of other road uses safety and adjust your headlights down. I do a lot of night driving and I'm tired of being blinded by inconsiderate people who have illegally fitted HID's to their headlights and not adjusted them down.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO FIT HID BULBS TO HEADLIGHTS THAT WERE NOT FACTORY FITTED WITH HID BULBS.

Tony
I'm with Tony on this.

I did fit HID's bulbs to my GU headlights but have removed them.

I found that no matter how low and to the left I adjusted them, there was still sometimes when my lights would hit on coming drivers.

I found with the Patrol being much higher then most vehicles and our roads not being flat or straight, there was always some point where my lights would be in the face of another driver.

I am back to running standard headlight bulbs with HIDs in the spot lights.

In my opinion this is the best combination.

Cheers Rodney

Yendor
20th January 2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry ET,

I didn't notice the second page.

But it seems we are on the same page anyway.....ahahahahaha

Cheers Rodney

the evil twin
20th January 2012, 10:14 PM
Sorry ET,

I didn't notice the second page.

But it seems we are on the same page anyway.....ahahahahaha

Cheers Rodney

Hiya Rodney...

Yeah we are and in all my ranting I forgot part of the OP's question on colour.

IMHO 4300 is heaps better than 6000. They penetrate dust and fog better and don't throw as much harsh light back from road signs. To the naked eye they look similar when turned on but I have 4300 in my 35 watters and 6000 in my 50's and you can tell the difference from behind the wheel.

I especially prefer the 35 watt 4300K in Dust

Yendor
20th January 2012, 10:29 PM
Hiya Rodney...

Yeah we are and in all my ranting I forgot part of the OP's question on colour.

IMHO 4300 is heaps better than 6000. They penetrate dust and fog better and don't throw as much harsh light back from road signs. To the naked eye they look similar when turned on but I have 4300 in my 35 watters and 6000 in my 50's and you can tell the difference from behind the wheel.

I especially prefer the 35 watt 4300K in Dust

You rant......never....hahhaha.

Personally I found the reflection from the road side signs even with 4300 fitted unbearable, unless I had them adjusted that low there was really no point in having them.

There is no doubt they throw an awesome light, but I think we also need to have some consideration for other road users.

allan f
27th January 2012, 07:33 PM
I put 6000k HID in my 2011 GU had to adjust them down a bit . I found it best to take the grill out and LH light out to fit them and fitted the ballasts to the side of the light .

Greengu98
22nd October 2012, 02:12 AM
i have 35w hi lo's in my gu adjusted down and left a little, Also modified my spot lights to fit 100w hid'S! awesome

mick.
23rd October 2012, 05:19 AM
Honestly there is no such thing as a good set up when it comes to throwing hids in a reflector designed for halogens. It doesn't matter how you adjust them they will always blind others and cant be aimed correctly when you have a reflector splashing the light everywhere. HID is designed for projectors not reflectors and all it does is give HID lighting a bad name and really annoy other road users. This was the reason I got into projector HID lighting so it could be done properly and wouldn't affect oncoming traffic. You have a true high beam and a low beam that leaves any other aftermarket hid kit for dead.

Cheers Mick.

Squalo
24th October 2012, 10:24 AM
Agreed. HID into reflectors is just a bad idea, unless it is for high beam only.