PDA

View Full Version : Converted from Auto to Manual

Hendo 70
18th January 2012, 12:43 PM
Hi guys,
Well my Auto finally Died and I looked around for the Best Price, I considered doing it myself as I have done a few Fords & Holdens in my time but the weight of the Box kinda deteered me LOL. I decided to go with Patrol Docta in Pakenham, Vic. They quoted $1250 for all the Parts less the Clutch to DIY or $2500 supplied and fitted with Standard Clutch.
I took them up on the latter but upgraded to a HD Clutch which was about another $100. I dropped it off Monday and Picked it up the next afternoon, Ive had a look right thru it and they've done a Great Job!! Very neat & Tidy job & runs very well!!
Highly Recommend:thumbup:

AB
18th January 2012, 01:28 PM
Good to hear mate. Sometimes It's better off paying someone else to do those kind of jobs for sure.

WHITEGQ
21st January 2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Hendo 70,
Recently late 2011 just did the auto-5 speed conversion on my GQ wagon, boy was it fun, took me and 2 mates 2 full days to change it all over, we did have a hoist, but not a transmission jack. How did you find the difference from auto- manual, ie power, economy? have you change diff ratios, or are you still running the auto diffs(ratios auto 3.9, manuals 4.1), I am still running 3.9s, but has heaps more power and pulls really well, best of all I gained approx an extra 50-60 klm per tank of LPG. Will be changing diff ratios later on to 4.3 ratio.

Hendo 70
23rd January 2012, 12:31 PM
Hey WHITEGQ, I still have the Auto Diff in mine too its not bad I dont think I'll change it. Mines on Dual Fuel too and have noticed better economy with both, I took it up to a mates farm on Saturday and got a chance to get it in 4wd and was very happy with it. Good Luck with yours mate ;P

GQing
25th January 2012, 01:07 PM
hey WHITEGQ are you carby or injected? done auto to manual conversion in mine just before christmas fuel economy stayed the same towing lucky to get 300ks out of 88ltrs, was the same with the auto. the only benifit i got was it does tow much better up hills. I also went with the 4.1s. i agree with the fun part 2 blokes on the drive way with jacks for 3 days, it now has to come out again as 5th has a carrier bearing gone, i have a wreck that i have driven this time so the gearbox feels good in this one, gearbox out wreck, gearbox out mine, gear box in mine, same story only 6 weeks ago. (the last wreck had a blown headgasket so i couldnt test drive) any way mines injected with an impco set up, very slow heaps of fuel?

WHITEGQ
27th January 2012, 10:53 PM
Hi, GQing, my GQ is straight LPG, I am running through a TB-42E injection manifold, Xf Falcon throttle body, simple gas ring, OMVL converter, RD-25/28 pre filter then up through a 4" rearward facing stainless snorkle. I when I first did the straight LPG conversion I dropped from 400-450klm out of 100lts useable gas down to 330klm per 100lts. Once I did manual conversion now been getting 370-390klm per 100lts, still dont know why it dropped so much, but sh*t happens, now has heaps more power, pulls harder, revs out quicker. I am now about to fit electronic ignition system in a couple of months so hopefully bit better economy, more power and no more changing points and that horrible missing that allways happens. Hopefully in the future I am going to change diff ratios, I will change to 4.3s, as I am running 33s.

thomas.h
17th February 2012, 04:06 PM
getting someone else to do it is definately cheating, lol but if the quality was there cant argue