PDA

View Full Version : 3ltr turbo fail?

macca86
15th January 2012, 07:25 PM
Bit of help needed lads I think my turbo on my zd30 di motor is rooted.
After a good day fishing( 2 muddies and a good queenfish) it started raining and we packed up and I decided the mud flats were a good place to see if the lsd was in working order ( it;s fine btw) after finishing my diff check my car hits boost and a high pitched whine comes from the engine bay (only on boost)
At first I thought it would be a intercooler hose leak but on road it I speed up and spool up and back off 3 or 4 times in a row an even louder noise comes from the turbo and don't boost up at all (engine rpm 2300) still no boost.
Seems to struggle to 5 psi and stays there longer than it use too then frees up and boosts normal but with loud whine.
Any ideas? if so how much does it set you back for the work?
Cheers guys

macca86
15th January 2012, 07:45 PM
would I be better getting a turbo rebuilt kit or whole new turbo? pricing up my options

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 07:51 PM
I know nothing, I repeat nothing about turbos ...

Blocked waste gate? lol

Just trying to help with the few terms I know!!! Hope you sort it champion ...

Nice catches too!!!! We expect some photos!!!

macca86
15th January 2012, 07:54 PM
don't think the zd30 has a wastegate like yours does I don't sneeze at gear changes. I have a 2 minute vid on my phone of the lsd working fine and the fish and crabs but my cable for my phone is in brisbane

macca86
16th January 2012, 08:50 AM
bump......

Sir Roofy
16th January 2012, 10:21 AM
if your sure its completely stuffed that would mean the housing could be damaged inside and fins broke or bent
probably better to put on a newy,then you can pull the other down and see if its repairable if so then at your lesiure rebuild and youve got a spare

macca86
16th January 2012, 01:59 PM
if your sure its completely stuffed that would mean the housing could be damaged inside and fins broke or bent
probably better to put on a newy,then you can pull the other down and see if its repairable if so then at your lesiure rebuild and youve got a spare

good idea roofy. might just do that or on sell it to recover some cost

Steve cooper
21st January 2012, 08:36 PM
Hi mate, bit late I realize but what your describing could POSSIBLY be a fairly substantial exhuast Leak before the turbo, like a cracked manifold or even in the EGR pipe work.

Could be worth checking this before u remove the turbo.

I'm interested to know how u go.

Steve

Robo
18th February 2012, 02:27 AM
Got it fixed yet?

macca86
18th February 2012, 07:25 AM
Fixed pick it up Thursday 23rd New turbo (exhust side shot) turbo timer, egr block, catch can, new maff, egt guage, boost guage and egt guage moved to new pillar pod, safari d tronic chip installed 3 hrs of tuning major service all for 5000 ouch but still cheaper than 4.2 conversion. motor has 175000 on the clock so hoping it'll keep going for some time.

Robo
19th February 2012, 12:16 PM
Glad to hear your on/off the tarmac again.
How much was the turbo by it's self.
the waste gate was stuffed/sticking open?
this is an electrical solenoid operated gate isn't?.
hear these are a common problem at failing.

macca86
19th February 2012, 12:21 PM
Glad to hear your on/off the tarmac again.
How much was the turbo by it's self.
the waste gate was stuffed/sticking open?
this is an electrical solenoid operated gate isn't?.
hear these are a common problem at failing.

3000 just for the turbo including fitting. bearings problem I think and fan blades sticking

Robo
19th February 2012, 01:02 PM
genuine oem nissan turbo?

macca86
19th February 2012, 01:05 PM
genuine oem nissan turbo?

Genuine Garrret but upgraded and running waterlines for cooling too not just oil.

macca86
25th February 2012, 04:14 AM
I have the car back in my hands. Drives very well all mods done to it have improved driveability now puttinging out 121 hp and 370nm at the wheels on the dyno and still have a 3 inch exhust to put on after the wedding at the next service. the boost guage and pyro pillar pod works a treat and around town driving I see temps of 250 to 300. I can see me changing my driving style to keep it down surprisingly giving it more revs in a lower gear reduces temps. very happy so far despite the 4862.80 price tag

mattyh
25th February 2012, 08:49 AM
If I coughs this thread earlier I would of said definitely turbo is gone. Had mine go about 3 years ago. Same noise by the sounds of things. By the way. It has a waste gate otherwise it would explode lol. I think you were confused with blow off valve