PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 after market Intercooler?????

choppie
15th January 2012, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys,

New to site, have read most blogs on blocking EGR , but couldn't find any on intercoolers as mine has split both ends, (sorry, 04 GU ), am looking at A.R.E. intercooler & bonnet scoop, Digi Piro & boost gauges
Any suggestgins???

I think this forum is great, :thumbup:

Choppie

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 02:29 PM
G'day mate - how about slipping over to the introductions section and throwing up a bit of information about you and your rig - a courtesy thing we request prior to asking questions etc - no harm done mate, but let's people know who they're yakking to and you'll get a better response to questions asked.

That said, welcome aboard and hope you stick around!! No doubt someone should be able to point you in the right direction ...

YNOT
15th January 2012, 02:34 PM
Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4551-3.0L-Replacement-Intercoolers&highlight=leaking+intercooler

Tony

choppie
15th January 2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks Guys,
Thought I had done intro but couldn't have saved it properly, look forward to further chats & info exchange as I want to take the Det out of the nator (motor), have already replaced air mass sensor as it was stuck 1/2 open and blowing smoke in lower revs, picked up power lower down.

Col

BearGUST
16th January 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi Col,
I've fitted the ASE intercooler, it's a bit bigger and thicker than the standard unit. It's also got a fan underneath which pulls heaps of air.
I've got some pics in my "Bear's GU ST build up thread". I'd post the link but I'm posting this from my phone so it's a bit of a pain...

cossack
16th January 2012, 09:32 PM
I did fit one of these (ASE intercooler) about 2 weeks ago to our '05 ZD30. Had the EGR blocked as well. Seems to spool up quicker and rev more freely. Probably more fuel effecient as well. Can't put the engine cover on after installation. Hay BearGUST, did you have any problems with the fan? Mine rather than drawing air was blowing, hence blew the fuse. Had to cross the wires to achieve required result.

choppie
17th January 2012, 03:39 PM
Hi Col,
I've fitted the ASE intercooler, it's a bit bigger and thicker than the standard unit. It's also got a fan underneath which pulls heaps of air.
I've got some pics in my "Bear's GU ST build up thread". I'd post the link but I'm posting this from my phone so it's a bit of a pain...

Thanks for the info, have taken on board as I am still researching, the one I was looking at is made by Aluminium Radiators & Engineering in Brendale Bris. & make a bigger modified air scoop that distributes the air evenly with louvers rather than shoving it all down the back.

Col

MudRunnerTD
17th January 2012, 03:44 PM
ARE make a World Class product mate and have been instrumental in the development of the bonnet scoop. They want good coin for their scoop but there is significant R&D gone into it including hours in the wind tunnel.

Their Water to Air Intercooler is extraordinary to see and if you have the money to deal with ARE then you will be buying well researched highly regarded Product made in Australia to directly suit your needs.

I have NO Affiliation with ARE but read much about them and seen plenty of pics of their work and research.

choppie
17th January 2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for info, am still trying to get head around this program & new laptop, so if you read my reply to BearGUST this would be the same for you

Thanks again

Col

guterra
22nd January 2012, 09:16 PM
Hey Mate,

I have ordered an ASE cooler for mine too. Should be here this week so I'll let you know how she goes when its in.

Cheers

BearGUST
23rd January 2012, 09:24 AM
Hay BearGUST, did you have any problems with the fan? Mine rather than drawing air was blowing, hence blew the fuse. Had to cross the wires to achieve required result.
I checked which way they had to go before I joined anything, pretty sure I ended up going blue to black and vice versa. I didn't really read any instructions though, not even sure if the wiring had any instructions.

BillsGU
23rd January 2012, 10:00 AM
I ordered an ASE intercooler over a week ago and still have not received it nor have they replied to my emails. Maybe they are still on holidays? I hope so. BTW - how did you guys hook up the fan? To a manual switch, a temp sensor, or what?

Also, I installed some radiator fans in another vehicle and to reverse the direction of air flow the instructions said to unbolt the fan blade, turn it over and put the nut back on. No need to change the wiring.

BearGUST
23rd January 2012, 02:17 PM
Mine was hooked up to Ignition Power but I didn't like it coming on all the time (especially at start-up, the glow plugs and fans firing up can't be great for the battery) so I have run a switch to turn it on/off from the cabin.
The switch fits neatly in a blank spot above the 'HEAT' switch.

BillsGU
23rd January 2012, 02:24 PM
Mine was hooked up to Ignition Power but I didn't like it coming on all the time (especially at start-up, the glow plugs and fans firing up can't be great for the battery) so I have run a switch to turn it on/off from the cabin.
The switch fits neatly in a blank spot above the 'HEAT' switch.

Good point about start up, and you are right - I don't want it on all the time either. Mostly I would want it on off road or at slow speed. Don't think it would make much difference on the freeway at 110 kmh.

bundy4127
24th January 2012, 11:45 PM
The following ARE web page is very informative.

http://www.are.com.au/Inter/topMountIntercoolers.htm

cossack
26th January 2012, 10:51 PM
you would of thought they could've changed the fan over from the factory, just a thought...
I've left mine running all the time for the moment.
Had to make a rubber cover for my intercooler as the underside of the scoop was hitting the intercooler and was already damaging it.
Talking about scoops, anyone fitted a bigger scoop? what type? cost? performance? etc

BillsGU
27th January 2012, 09:59 AM
Mine FINALLY arrived on Wednesday. Fitted well and is a well made product. I hooked the fan up to a switch on the dash (under the antenna switch) and also hooked it up so that it switches off when the ignition switch is off. So far all works well - but I will have to fill the tank and go on a bit of a drive to check performance and fuel consumption.