PDA

View Full Version : battery acid stuff up!!!! need advice/help

hekarewe
13th January 2012, 08:46 PM
Well i have really doing it this time!!!

had the old battery out of wifes tiida in the back of patrol and forgot about the dam thing until i opened the boot this afternoon to find it had fallen over and spilled all over the carpet in the boot....:blowup::1087: now how do i nutralise the acid, is there anything that will nutrilise it i know the stain want come out but i just dont want the acid eating things in the boot,,,,,,

feel really stupid with this one but HEEEEEELLLLPPPP! need advice

Bigrig
13th January 2012, 10:00 PM
Crikey mate - don't know but hopefully someone does ... and quick!!!

Oh and by the way ... nice one dipsh!t .... lmfao!!!!!!

Gruntgu
13th January 2012, 10:10 PM
Bicarb soda and water mix together pour over acid it will fizz and stink keep going till stops fizzing you end up with water a salt and carbon dioxide, rinse with plenty of water.

patch697
13th January 2012, 10:16 PM
White vinegar will neutralize battery acid also.

Gruntgu
13th January 2012, 10:46 PM
White vinegar will neutralize battery acid also.

Only if it's an alkaline battery as vinegar is an acid.

patch697
13th January 2012, 10:52 PM
Only if it's an alkaline battery as vinegar is an acid.

It still works...

Gruntgu
13th January 2012, 11:07 PM
It still works...

Would'nt it just dilute it? Be like pouring water on it would'nt neutralise it.

hekarewe
13th January 2012, 11:21 PM
thanks a lot guys guess i will be down at woollies buying all their bi carb and then pulling all the lining out of the boot wow what a fun day i have to look forward to yay me lol

patch697
13th January 2012, 11:28 PM
Would'nt it just dilute it? Be like pouring water on it would'nt neutralise it.

Put some in your battery & see how long it takes to die....... I don't know why it works but it works.

Bigrig
13th January 2012, 11:36 PM
Put some in your battery & see how long it takes to die....... I don't know why it works but it works.

I prefer it over cold seafood ... but if batteries are you thing ... who am I to question why!!!! lol

robbo0001
14th January 2012, 12:49 AM
Did this in our brand new Grand Carnival, one year ago.....cut the top layer of acid drenched carpet out (not a big patch, battery caps were tight), spent an hour diluting the remaining acid with a LOT of water and a sponge....ran a fan for a night to dry it out.

Then bought some really nice floor mats.

That acid will be there forever, unfortunately. I check it every few months....no noticeable change in "acid burn"....and the underlay/ deadener is still good

Silver
14th January 2012, 10:41 AM
hopefully if all the cells in battery were flat, what leaked into the boot will be pretty much water - no acid. Sadly, normally a cell or two fail, and the rest still try to charge and are full of acid.

hekarewe
14th January 2012, 12:48 PM
this is the what i started with

hekarewe
14th January 2012, 12:54 PM
the bi carb wash

hekarewe
14th January 2012, 07:06 PM
the final out come of a day of washing rinsing and drying, is the boot is spotless the boot lining was totaled and could not be saved the carpet under the back seats got a smaller stain but its hidden thank god as for a lesson hard learnt thanks to everyone who offered adivce i just hope i didnt get to it to late agian thanks for the words of wisdom people

SCADA
14th January 2012, 07:32 PM
Forget about the trim...its toast. Try and stop damage to paint work & plated metal parts. You don't want sus looking stuff when you go to sell.

hekarewe
14th January 2012, 07:39 PM
Forget about the trim...its toast. Try and stop damage to paint work & plated metal parts. You don't want sus looking stuff when you go to sell.

panel work came up alright but will be watching it closely for a while really pissed at myself

SCADA
14th January 2012, 08:05 PM
Shit happens. It could have been a lot worse. Must of been pushing some serious G's to roll over a battery. :)

Gruntgu
14th January 2012, 08:13 PM
Good stuff, once the bicarb has stopped reacting it's neutralised so should be all good.

If any metal has paint stripped from it just make sure that's all sealed again and with some new carpet you'll be set!

I got a rubber tray mat thingy from Kmart the other week fits the GU spot on.

So much for hindsight.

hekarewe
14th January 2012, 10:07 PM
Good stuff, once the bicarb has stopped reacting it's neutralised so should be all good.

If any metal has paint stripped from it just make sure that's all sealed again and with some new carpet you'll be set!

I got a rubber tray mat thingy from Kmart the other week fits the GU spot on.

So much for hindsight.

hindsight always 20/20 lol the mat from K mart was one size fits all or do have a part number or anythiong to identify it????? as i will be needing something in the back or paint and insulation will be truly totaled if start putting stuff in there with out something under it...

small up side to this i now have argumentative sway to talk the wife around to putting proper draws in the back and fridge slide and and and hmmmm need a list now !!!

Gruntgu
14th January 2012, 10:43 PM
I don't have a part number sorry, nothing on the mat and the tag is gone with last weeks garbage it was in the automotive/tools section of my local Kmart...

I did see one in Super cheap today that looked the same but mine has more of a lip.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Best-Buys-Cargo-Liner-Rubber-Black-1180-x-820mm.aspx?pid=219459#Description

They have a few different styles

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/inside-the-car/mats/boot-mats.aspx?id=1026

WhiteGU
16th January 2012, 07:57 PM
You can probably get a replacement carpet from a wrecker, or from a crowd like this http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/nissan_datsun.htm

Robo
26th May 2012, 10:51 AM
Bicarb is the go in engine bay for cleaning around battery, spills, also for cleaning dirty battery terminals and clamps.

Have a AGM battery now for 5 yrs and not a sign of acid anywhere.

the ferret
26th May 2012, 11:15 AM
thanks a lot guys guess i will be down at woollies buying all their bi carb and then pulling all the lining out of the boot wow what a fun day i have to look forward to yay me lol

New mat, new mat new mat new mat new mat!!
Cheers, the ferret.

hekarewe
26th May 2012, 02:10 PM
New mat, new mat new mat new mat new mat!!
Cheers, the ferret.

LMAO NOW but not then!!!!!! and yues big asss rubber boot liner now and now carpet left in boot.

mudski
26th May 2012, 03:01 PM
Bicarb is the go in engine bay for cleaning around battery, spills, also for cleaning dirty battery terminals and clamps.

Have a AGM battery now for 5 yrs and not a sign of acid anywhere.

I find just boiling the kettle and pouring over the terminals works a treat. Then cover them in Corrode Cure.

Robo
13th June 2012, 02:34 AM
Bi-carb chemically neutralises battery acid.
It will fizz a little and when fizz stops acid rendered neutral.
cheers

Morton
13th June 2012, 11:04 PM
try one of your stews mate, sure neutralized my coight some years back, otherwise I will send some of my wifes cooking up, it will kill a horse

the ferret
13th June 2012, 11:10 PM
Here's a hint guys, if you want to clean dirty battery terminals, soak them in COLD tea, (no milk or sugar) they will come up like new!!
No wise cracks please, I've heard them all lol
Cheers, the ferret.

hekarewe
13th June 2012, 11:48 PM
try one of your stews mate, sure neutralized my coight some years back, otherwise I will send some of my wifes cooking up, it will kill a horse

shame that stew didnt do anyuthing about your friggin snoreing that weekend mort dam near torn the stitching in the my tent was like sleeping in a working wind tunnel!!!! MORTON!!!!

the ferret
13th June 2012, 11:53 PM
A nice smelly sock in the gob stops em snoring lol
Cheers, the ferret.

hekarewe
14th June 2012, 08:32 PM
A nice smelly sock in the gob stops em snoring lol
Cheers, the ferret.

Only problem with that ferit is its not fair on the sock!!!!!! the morton would just inhale the poor thing and carry right on with the noise

the ferret
14th June 2012, 09:32 PM
Only problem with that ferit is its not fair on the sock!!!!!! the morton would just inhale the poor thing and carry right on with the noise

You havn't had a whif of my socks mate!!!:furious:
Cheers, the ferret.

Silver
14th June 2012, 11:07 PM
shame that stew didnt do anyuthing about your friggin snoreing that weekend mort dam near torn the stitching in the my tent was like sleeping in a working wind tunnel!!!! MORTON!!!!

I've sampled your stew, Hekarewe, and your snoring from afar.

I by far prefer the stew :-) Morton must be a legend in the snoring stakes to impress you!

Robo
22nd June 2012, 02:19 PM
If ya need to clear a closed environment, I'll send my work mate " Fluffy " up to see ya.
He can clear a moving vehicle of all occupants including the driver, while it's still moving!!.
If it weren't so bad I'd LMAO.

hekarewe
22nd June 2012, 07:23 PM
If ya need to clear a closed environment, I'll send my work mate " Fluffy " up to see ya.
He can clear a moving vehicle of all occupants including the driver, while it's still moving!!.
If it weren't so bad I'd LMAO.

thats just nasty,,,, there is just no need for that kind o violence,,,,,, not ever LOL