PDA

View Full Version : do i need catch can for 4 gu6 crd

my third 256
4th September 2010, 07:05 AM
hi all have read alot about these catch cans some say yes put it on others say no not for the crd motors
spoken to diesel mechanic and he said no so am now thoroughly confused in what to do
even nissan say no not needed on crd motor
please some imput
thanks stephen
yes i have read the suplementary pages on the catch can but doesnt refer to crd motors

YNOT
4th September 2010, 08:26 AM
The ZD30 CRD is a much improved motor over earlier versions of the ZD30, and does not suffer the same reliabillity issues.
While fitting one may not be necessary for reliabillity reasons, removing the oil mist from the inlet system has a lot of benefits.

Tony

Maxhead
4th September 2010, 10:46 AM
Definitely put one in if you want to prolong the life of the air filter. My filter was getting oil on it every 1000kliks and I would have to spin the filter around so it would breathe.
Since putting a Provent 200 in no more oil on the filter, also the fuel consumption is better as the motor breathes a lot easier.
You will be surprised how much oil a decent catch can will catch.

Good luck

BundyDave
14th June 2011, 08:33 PM
Definitely put one in if you want to prolong the life of the air filter. My filter was getting oil on it every 1000kliks and I would have to spin the filter around so it would breathe.
Since putting a Provent 200 in no more oil on the filter, also the fuel consumption is better as the motor breathes a lot easier.
You will be surprised how much oil a decent catch can will catch.

Good luck

Hi there mate I have just bought a Provent 200 you couldnt do us a huge favour and post some pictures on your installation.

Cheers

Dave

Maxhead
14th June 2011, 08:42 PM
Hi there mate I have just bought a Provent 200 you couldnt do us a huge favour and post some pictures on your installation.

Cheers

Dave

Hey mate, I can take some pics for you tomorrow and post here. Unless some one has some pics already

Have a look at the reference manual for now...It might help

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document.

the evil twin
14th June 2011, 10:15 PM
I think my CRD is defective. It gets very little oil in the intake or intercooler so I won't be fitting a Catch Can at this stage ('07 with 85,000 k's). Altho the EGRr has only been blocked for a short period so I'll keep an eye on it in case that makes a difference .

Maxhead
16th June 2011, 12:30 PM
Hey Dave, I posted some pics last night but the vanished when the server was down. I'll repost this arvo mate.

Maxhead
16th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Ok, we'll try again on the Provent install.

Pic1 - general location shot. Provent is between the ABS and 2nd battery
Pic2 - closer up
Pic3 - Bottom outlet of Provent going to intake
Pic4 - Top inlet going to crankcase

From memory the provent hose fitting is 25mm and vehicle fittings were 15mm, so you'll need reducers..Someone might want to correct me on the fitting sizes

Let me know if you need any other angles of the install

BundyDave
23rd June 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi NissPat

Many thanks. Have to get round to doing mine in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

BundyDave
23rd June 2011, 08:58 PM
Hi NissPat

Just one question where did you bolt the bracket for the provent. Did you install that piece of steel that looks like it has ruler markings on it.

Cheers