PDA

View Full Version : electronic ignition

rusty_nail
13th January 2012, 09:14 AM
hi all,

was wondering if anyone had fitted electronic ignition to their petrol/LPG troll and if anyone had noticed a difference in economy/power/general smoothness and if you could share your experiences. i have heard here and there that it increases fuel economy and general responsiveness of the truck.

on a side note, my patrol is without a fuel gauge for the LPG, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to install a gauge to remedy this?

cheers

nic

WHITEGQ
13th January 2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Nic,
Cant help you with the electronic ignition, although I am about to get it fitted to my GQ soon also. With the LPG guage, first you need to have a look at the guage in the tank, see if it has 1 wire or 2 wires. There are a few different types of guage set-ups. Also what brand of tank you have. Once you work that out it is pretty easy. Most LPG guages have 1 +power wire, 1 -wire and 1 wire from the tank, thats all the set-ups that I have come accross. Hope that helps.
Jeff.

gq4200
13th January 2012, 10:18 PM
For a better ignition I would just do the rotor modification which is to extend the outside of the rotor contact metal, or bend it upwards to reduce the extra large gap nissan made in this model.

(This is for APA cyclinders)
For a guage, take a look at you LPG tank it should have a little round gauge on the rear of the tank itself that you can read from the back of the car between the step and the towbar. Take a look at the number on the guage if you can.... Mine says 85-10 which is 85 ohms at empty to 10 ohms at full (or vica versa). The other Common one is 0-90 from memory. They have two spade lugs on them. One side goes to gnd, other side goes to your guage. New senders are $70 from memory. The 85-10 one matches the factory sender and is used when you want to use the factory guage in the car. Obviously you need a switch or relay to switch between the fuel tank sender or the LPG tank sender.
The 0-90? sender is used for the LED style gauge that you add to your dash somewhere.

gq4200
13th January 2012, 10:23 PM
Poor ignition will show up first with a rough idle, and is more noticeable on gas.

patch697
13th January 2012, 10:27 PM
hi all,

was wondering if anyone had fitted electronic ignition to their petrol/LPG troll and if anyone had noticed a difference in economy/power/general smoothness and if you could share your experiences. i have heard here and there that it increases fuel economy and general responsiveness of the truck.

on a side note, my patrol is without a fuel gauge for the LPG, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to install a gauge to remedy this?

cheers

nic

Yeah mate 100% correct on the HEI ignition I set up. Butter economy better peddle response runs smoother & im no longer under the bonnet every 6 or 7000ks doing bloody points (shits of things they are)

I went HEI over electronic though & I put together a unit myself but im handy with that sort of thing. A simpler electronic in an easy to install kit form number is the most popular way to go.

When you say your missing a gas gauge do you mean you don't have one installed or the one you have is on the fritz?

rusty_nail
14th January 2012, 09:59 PM
first of all thanks for all your responses, they have all been good to get different sides of the story.

i did a bit of digging around, and have ended up buying a petronix ignition system yesterday, looking forward to recieving it next week sometime.

as the the gauge patch, there isnt one there lol. nothing at all. ill have to have a dig around the tank and find out where the wires need to be connected. hopefully it should be pretty foolproof.

just for some info the ignition system i got was off ebay, from US, for 130, and its simply plug and play, there is no machining to fit it, im excited to get it hooked up. the sender was 50 bucks and the gauge 37 bucks from repco, and they had to be specially ordered as it wasnt a stocked item.

ill post photos up in the DIY section for each install process. today i spend the entire day stripping out the interior, i have organised with a mate to coat the hard surfaces on the interior black, as well as the whole exterior =D photos of that to come too.

rusty_nail
14th January 2012, 10:27 PM
oh another thing, has anyone mounted round gauges in their GQ, i was looking at the dash today, and there isnt really anywhere apart from being screwed to the top of the dash (which would look pretty ordinary to be honest as it would stand out like dogs balls) so i was wondering if any one had some clever little spot they had put one in...

cheers

nic

Bigrig
14th January 2012, 10:29 PM
oh another thing, has anyone mounted round gauges in their GQ, i was looking at the dash today, and there isnt really anywhere apart from being screwed to the top of the dash (which would look pretty ordinary to be honest as it would stand out like dogs balls) so i was wondering if any one had some clever little spot they had put one in...

cheers

nic

I think AB ripped out the clock and whacked a gauge in there ... other than that, mine are on the A pillar and dash

rusty_nail
15th January 2012, 09:20 AM
thanks big rig, the clock counds like a great idea (depending on how big the gauge is lol)

WHITEGQ
21st January 2012, 09:57 AM
HI,
I run a switch/guage combination that fits straight into the normal switch blank holes in dash center near stereo, there are 2 types, 1st is to suit EFI, has no "off" position just LPG and petrol, 2nd is like a normal set up, LPG-off-petrol, will take a picture tommorow and post it.

rusty_nail
25th January 2012, 09:01 AM
i know the gauge you have white GQ, i had it in my old troll, and the gauge is just a set of 4 LEDs. this gauge is more accurate i guess, being that its like a standard gauge, with a needle and the needle moves, more accurate i guess. im still waiting on it to be delivered to repco, the useless people the had to order it in from lost the original order!

Robo
5th February 2012, 01:16 AM
The pertronic unit that does not need any machining of cam lobe has LS in the part number.
LS = lobe sensing.
Yes you can install the machine lobe version, but what will you do if you go out some where and it drops its bundle, you need another unit or cam lobe shaft and points on hand to get mobile again.
Install LS version, if it goes belly up, points for backup, minimal cost to easy,or carry spare pertronic, your choice.
Cheers

taslucas
5th April 2012, 05:23 PM
Bump.... For another member sorry mate, forgot your name while searching..lol

tappn it

spring_ridge_guy
6th April 2012, 05:31 AM
No worries TL I still found it cheers again