PDA

View Full Version : when is my batt charged ?

rockndot
8th January 2012, 11:10 PM
Hi Guys, can someone fill me in on how to tell when my batt is fully charged,
no i dont have any tool/thingo ....
just using 20 yr old arlec charger , poverty model.

rottodiver
8th January 2012, 11:21 PM
I assume the charger is putting out approx 5 amps so give it 36 to 48 hours and it should be full.. Really hard to answer that one without knowing batt size,charger size, how flat it is??

rottodiver
8th January 2012, 11:23 PM
You can buy multimeters for practically nothing nowdays that will give you voltage.. Probably worth buying one..

http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-multimeter-small-screen-mini-professional1-currency-AUD.html

$7.00 for this one!!! will do the job!!

Scotty

rockndot
9th January 2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah cool rottodiver,
I just brought a multimeter on ebay from brisbane so should be here about 3 days.
The charger is an oldie and is a 4 amp one,
The batt is a new century 4 x 4 marine one 760 cca
When i 1st started fixing the pat up, after reverse instalation of battery, blew fuses and the glow plug control unit,
i spent some time winding it over not knowing about the unit being buggered,no power to fuel solinoid,
10 sec bursts with a break.
So i then wanted to keep it charged for next try, ( Yendor, helped me get it going again )
Just didnt want to be overcharging the new batt, cause at 240 each and one wage i wont get to many chances.

97_gq_lwb
9th January 2012, 08:24 AM
Your battery should never over charge on a battery charger they have built in regulators like your alternator on the car.

the evil twin
9th January 2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Guys, can someone fill me in on how to tell when my batt is fully charged,
no i dont have any tool/thingo ....
just using 20 yr old arlec charger , poverty model.

Buy a Multimeter if you don't already have one. They are indispensable even if only to take readings and post them up on Forums so people can help you out. $10 to $20 will get one good enough for fault finding a motor vehicle.

Disconnect the charger and put some sort of reasonable load on the Battery for a few minutes. A hand held spotlight or something. If the battery is in the vehicle just turn on the headlights (engine not running). This is to ensure you get an accurate resting voltage.

Just disconnecting the Charger and measuring the voltage won't tell you squat.

Remove the load (or turn off the headlights) and measure the voltage. Ideally it should be 12.7 volts but this isn't an ideal world. If the reading is above 12.6 terrific, above 12.5, meah not bad... below 12.5 and it either still needs charging or is very suss.

Robo
18th January 2012, 12:18 AM
That old charger is ok but the ones out today simply are worth the own weight, so to speak.
a hydrometer $15 ish to check acid will be ok to.
but a decant charger that pulses and conditions the bat and then trickle charge , mate charger have really come on in leaps and bounds.
Try Jaycar electronics.
Some even recondition, but this is a big subject to cover and all is explained in their cat
Jaycar electronics for a decant charger have a few/plenty options, get your hand on their cat and compare em.
Not to mention it 1 hellva store for bits and pieces. And well priced.
This store has saved me alot of money over the years.
Cheers