PDA

View Full Version : Oil Guzzler

Simo
3rd September 2010, 06:59 PM
Hi everybody, I am brand new in here and asking a question on behalf of a mate. Des recently bought a 2nd hand 2002 Nissan Patrol 3 litre turbo diesel. It is gobbling up large volumes of oil. He went back to the Nissan dealer where he got it from and they said, if it uses less than a litre per 1000 Kms, that is within acceptable standards. I say RUBBISH. He then contacted the West Aust RAC and the chamber as well and got the same answer. Over the last 30 or so years I have never added a drop of oil to any of my many vehicles between oil changes. Comments welcome.

Maxhead
3rd September 2010, 07:18 PM
I don't know if there is an acceptable level of oil consumption, but a liter per 1000km is hec of a lot in my book.
Is it blowing any smoke and what colour?
I couldn't help you with possible cause as I'm not that mechanical but someone here definitely will.

good luck

patch697
3rd September 2010, 07:20 PM
Welcome on board Simo, Im not a 3ltr owner myself but there are a few members here that are & will be able to help with this question.

Just wanted to say welcome & feel free to join in.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
3rd September 2010, 07:29 PM
1 litre per 1000km is NOT acceptable. Using that amount of oil would see your engine seize from lack of lubrication in under 8000km! The oil has to be going somewhere.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Tony

Simo
3rd September 2010, 08:59 PM
I should add that there is no smoke or indication of burnt oil, and no spots of leaking oil on the concrete floor of the carport. Therefore 2 questions (A) Where is the oil going, (B) If 1 litre per 1000 Kms is OK by Nissan, Toyota must be laughing.

Maxhead
3rd September 2010, 09:09 PM
If 1 litre per 1000 Kms is OK by Nissan, Toyota must be laughing.
Don't know about Toyota laughing as their V8 diesel loves the oil as well, in some cases about the same amount.
But I wonder where its going in your mates case???

Finly Owner
3rd September 2010, 09:41 PM
check the exhaust. It has to be burning it.

Finly Owner
3rd September 2010, 09:43 PM
and welcome by the way. Don't forget to go to intros and tell us a bit more about you N your rig