PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil cooler

tez
7th January 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if its possible to run an engine oil cooler on a 4.2 diesel, and if so, where do you tap into the block ??

Cheers Tez

taslucas
7th January 2012, 09:45 PM
i suppose it would be do-able in theory, ive never heard of it being done. You'd probably be able to run it from the oil filter area? You'd have to make sure that the oil pressure would be sufficient to push the extra volume.
Maybe another member out there has heard of it?
Sounds like food for thought

Ben-e-boy
7th January 2012, 10:34 PM
Id have to refer to the manual but im pretty sure the filter screw into an oil cooler.

are you thinking of putting a transmission type cooler?

Robo
8th January 2012, 01:16 AM
Easy, just use quality fittings say something like Earls, or even compression say from leaders.
If you go to a preformance car mechanic they can fit you up with a system that can include remote mt filter at the same time .
adapter replaces filter - hose - new filter block - hose - remote cooler - return to filter adapter.
this is simply an extenion of the orignal oil path and it works.
you can buy cast or billet adaptors.
braided lines.
lines of various size an8 an10.
pretty sure an stands for US Army Navy spec.
and even run a larger filters, but you need to do homework for this, filter resistance etc.
this is nothing new in the performance scene.
Iv'e been running this setup on my GTR for a few years now and can't tell you how much I love being able to get at my oil filter as easy as touching the radiator cap.
cheap on ebay, approx $300, but I would not use these as cheap fittings will fail, espically, on jerky/rough riding 4b's.
expect to pay more like $700+ for billet.

Robo
8th January 2012, 02:34 AM
Sorry I should of wrote. There called.
Oil filter and cooler relocation kit .

tez
8th January 2012, 08:12 AM
Hi Ben.......Yeah I have a feeling you'r right about a cooler at the filter housing, and yes I would like to run a transmission type cooler.

Cheers tez

tez
8th January 2012, 08:18 AM
Robo ....thank you. That is awesome info. I thought there would have to be something out there on the market, but didn't thing to look at the performance places.

Much appreciated tez.

Ben-e-boy
8th January 2012, 10:05 AM
Hi Ben....... yes I would like to run a transmission type cooler.

Cheers tez

Why? are you having problems or do you have serious work done.

patch697
8th January 2012, 10:49 AM
I well have to go through my books to find it but there is 2x plugged off holes above the oil filter itself that can be removed to fit barbed hose fittings to run a engine oil cooler from.

You will also need a engine oil dedicated cooler as there larger in size & pipe diameter. substituting it with a auto trans type cooler will be a pointless exorcize as it will not flow properly.

tez
8th January 2012, 02:20 PM
Not really.... But GQs are prone to temp problems. I 've just put a turbo on the old girl, and I'm heading up the cape later this year, so I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to get a three core radiator as well.

tez
8th January 2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the advise Patch, would be nice to know if you can go in through those two ports.

Ben-e-boy
8th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Not really.... But GQs are prone to temp problems. I 've just put a turbo on the old girl, and I'm heading up the cape later this year, so I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to get a three core radiator as well.

A big radiator is a good investment. I have a pwr on mine and I have never seen the water temp go above half way on the gauge. and I really had to push the ute to get it to half.

Im also saving up for a water to air intercooler and thinking about a water/methanol injection kit to keep things really cool

Robo
11th January 2012, 09:30 AM
I'd be careful about using the ports above the filter housing, if this channel is the path for oil to the head for instance then you would be taking all important oil and pressure away.

You can get adapters that simply screw on where filter goes and filter screws on top of it, adapter has in/out for cooler, and maybe even port for oil press/temp switch.
Or you can fit a full relocation kit.
And you can even get one that has a thermostat built in, so oil only goes to cooler when hot, but this thermostat is ex Japan $170 ish as a part by itself.
You can properly get parts localy, but prices vary alot the quality of fitting vary and cheaper properly means cheap nasty fittings.
Some even come with push on hose fittings, you could use these but I would not simply a matter of engines don't last long without oil if hose blows, comes off.
Cheers.