PDA

View Full Version : DIY flares - No sagging and under $30

AB
6th January 2012, 10:16 PM
After seeing Scottys (Bigrig) flares at the forum meet up I decided to do a similar thing to my GQ and thought I would put up a DIY about it.

1) Take your old flares off and keep the screws.

NOTE: This would be a good time to clean up all the mud that is trapped underneath as shown below.

2) Some people cut off the original tabs on the old flares as below to use on the new ones but this thread will be about making new ones. I decided to keep the old flares in whole just in case I try to sell the vehicle later on or you can even get over $100 on Ebay for them too.

3) What you need....10m roll of Bunning's garden edging, nuts and bolts to suit your style and some kind of flexible plastic for the tabs. I used a pot plant pot holder and used a jigsaw to cut out the tabs the same size as the original tabs on the old flares. I actually cut them an extra 10mm longer and drilled the holes 10mm longer too as shown below.

10mm drill bit will be used for the original screws that go into the wheel arches and whatever bolt size you use will be the diameter for the flare mounting.

4) Screw the tabs to arches, do them up tight and align the tabs correctly.

5) Wrap the edging over the tabs, cut them to suit, drill the holes and bolt them up one by one and whalaaaaaaaaaaa!

Easy job that should only take about 3 hours.

Any questions, just ask!

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2012, 10:25 PM
Any questions, just ask!

When can I bring mine over 4 you 2 do?

Silver
6th January 2012, 11:19 PM
good to see the urban workbench aka wheelie bin in use in Vic as well as Qld!

I have a roll of edging, but haven't progressed any further.

I thought that it would be necessary to tuck the garden edging as far as the inner lip on the metalwork to stop mud etc creeping out the gap between flare and bodywork? Then again, cr@p can only be trapped between metalwork and tabs the way you have done it AB?

Woof
6th January 2012, 11:25 PM
Ahhhh the old Bunnings flares, nothing better if you ask me

markmclauchlin
6th January 2012, 11:50 PM
That looks really cool. Well done !!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-32.721932,115.671980

Clunk
7th January 2012, 12:03 AM
love the work AB, might have to do something like this when the new boots arrive

the ferret
7th January 2012, 12:35 AM
Top job Andy, well done mate, thanks for posting the pics!
Cheers, the ferret.

Maxhead
7th January 2012, 08:49 AM
Looks the goods Andy, top job as usual

Trolatron
8th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Very neat job mate, I will have to do that to mine soon as mine are a bit sagy.

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 10:54 PM
Good DIY mate ... glad to have assisted/inspired in some form ...

Mine below for reference - people can add theirs to the thread as they complete it also. As AB said, I used the original tabs which makes the job a 30-45 minute one, but if you want the flares down the track, then this way that AB has done it is the way to go about it!

Bogus
11th January 2012, 11:07 AM
Fantasic and they are easily replaced if torn off....

gavinsell
10th February 2012, 05:25 PM
These look great. will defiantly be adding to my gq very soon.

Thanks AB

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 12:17 AM
Ah man, I just ordered some rubber flares today, wish I saw this earlier! oh well, i'm sure i'll rip one of em off soon enough!

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 12:18 AM
Good DIY mate ... glad to have assisted/inspired in some form ...

Mine below for reference - people can add theirs to the thread as they complete it also. As AB said, I used the original tabs which makes the job a 30-45 minute one, but if you want the flares down the track, then this way that AB has done it is the way to go about it!

what's going on with your blue grill mate? looks good!