PDA

View Full Version : fixing the lift

tusman
5th January 2012, 10:14 PM
Hi again all,
I have a few quick questions. I am building up an 89 swb with the plan af having it as more of a tourer but that will still handle some tough tracks (a tough tourer) and would rather do it right now rather than be messing with it all the time or fixing it on the side of the road.
It currently has a 3in lift, dobinsons springs and shocks, and 33in tyres. I've put brand new wheel bearings, seals, and bushes (including castor correcting bushes for the front) the rest is stock. It is still steering a little funny I suspect this is due to having standard panhard rods. I was just wondering what you would recomend for the rest of the suspension setup or what works for you? :thumbup:

Thanks Tusman:thumbup:

tusman
6th January 2012, 11:07 AM
steering seems a bit vauge and does wander slightly, so does feel like it is wheel alignment but I was told the alignment was fine. But then again It wouldn't be the first time I've been told something and it's not true.

Thanks Plasnart

mattandjody
8th January 2012, 11:36 PM
could just be in the tyres? have you tried putting the standard tyres back on just for a test? also (im pretty new to lifts) but could it maybe have something to do with the lift in relation to the panhard rod? do you need adjustable panhard rods for a 3 inch lift? mine has a 5 inch suspension and a 2 inch body lift and it has adjustable panhard rods front and rear. still steers like a dog though. probably because i dont have the castor correction kits and im runnin 35's. but i didnt buy it to handle on road :)

tusman
9th January 2012, 04:27 PM
thanks mate, Heve not got the standard tyres but got some 33 all terrains that I will try, think I will also go for another wheel alignment as well, I would still like to put adjustable panhards on it, Like you said the handeling on road is not as important as long as it is safe and comfortable enough to drive to where I need to go as I am off to the cape this year which will be about 3000km of bitumen unfortunatly. I'm mainly keen to hear what kind of setups everone is running as far as control arms, panhard rods, tie rods etc... just interested in what people find works and what doesn't before I go out and start blowing cash. Cheers

growler2058
9th January 2012, 04:31 PM
IMHO I'd get a "package" mate something that's designed to work well for your application. Others with more knowledge in suspension I'm sure would mix n match with no issues