PDA

View Full Version : Hello All researching Patrol 3.0lt diesel issues

blc12
2nd September 2010, 07:00 PM
We (wife & I ) are 4*4 newbies. Well not exactly newbies , wifey wanted a Mazda 95 Bravo DF Dual cab 13 years ago to take the dogs to Bribie Island (QLD) had 15,000K now has 235,000. Never made it to the beach because it is classed as a National Park. (NO DOGS ALLOWED). Lack of research.
Anyway she now has decided a Nissan Patrol 2003 - 2006 3.0L Diesel is the go. But alas after the last lack of research I have taken control and have discovered some reliability issues. So here we are...

blc12
2nd September 2010, 07:06 PM
So far have discovered MAF and EGR can cause these problems. Does anyone know if these mods work or overfilling with synthetic oils fix issues.
Won't be going to Bribie anyway cause the dogs have since passed on, but 6 yo lad loves camping so it will be campsites and touring in something that wifey will feel safe in.

regards
D & L

YNOT
2nd September 2010, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the forum D&L.

Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?479-3.0lt-GU-Patrols-Grenade-Facts.

I did a lot of research before buying my current Patrol, a 2003 GU 3 litre. I am a long time Patrol owner and would not have bought one of these unless I was confident I could make it reliable. I have done the mods and am happy with my decision.

Tony

patch697
2nd September 2010, 08:08 PM
Welcome on board, good to have you here.

Tony have pretty much covered it in his post really.

Good friendly ppl here so reel free to join in.

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
2nd September 2010, 10:38 PM
hi and welcome to nissans nut house

blc12
3rd September 2010, 10:07 AM
Thank you Tony , Paul & Finly,
for your welcomes.
Yes I have done a lot of research and have spoken to a fellow at school drop off zone and he agrees stay on top of
the maintainence & MAF etc issues.

D & L

patch697
3rd September 2010, 10:20 AM
The good thing here is most all the problems have been identified & fix's to the problems are well documented so you should have no more dramas with them than any other engine.

My mate has one in he's GU Ute & we have just completed doing the recommended mods to he's & it go's really well, better than my TB42 power wise on the road & keeps up with me off road to.

Cheers Paul

YNOT
3rd September 2010, 07:20 PM
Thank you Tony , Paul & Finly,
for your welcomes.
Yes I have done a lot of research and have spoken to a fellow at school drop off zone and he agrees stay on top of
the maintainence & MAF etc issues.

D & L

If you do nothing else, fit a pyro (exhaust temp) gauge. When the needle on that gauge hits 600 degrees C, BACK OFF. This won't fix the cause of the problem, but if you're vigilant with the pyro, you'll save your engine.

Tony

blc12
6th September 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Tony,

Still looking for a suitable vehicle and change over figure. Accidently, met a Nissan mechanic and confirmed all the rebuilds, he considers the mods are prudent and after2004
the engines are all OK as they are not the Renault based engine.....?

D & L

YNOT
6th September 2010, 09:34 PM
The engines after 2004 are better than the earlier models, but I still recommend fitting boost and pyro gauges to any turbo diesel, not just the Nissans. It's cheap insurance.

Tony

Simma
27th March 2013, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the forum D&L.

Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?479-3.0lt-GU-Patrols-Grenade-Facts.

I did a lot of research before buying my current Patrol, a 2003 GU 3 litre. I am a long time Patrol owner and would not have bought one of these unless I was confident I could make it reliable. I have done the mods and am happy with my decision.

Tony
Any chance of uploading the mods again, not letting me download them

cheers mate

Simma

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 03:30 PM
any chance of uploading the mods again, not letting me download them

cheers mate

simma

if your refering to the manuals you need to have 25 posts wich is easyly done
by an introduction welcome some new members join in on some chats

healy
27th March 2013, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Corsa
27th March 2013, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MEGOMONSTER
27th March 2013, 04:54 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2013, 05:44 PM
I love it when a new member bumbs up an old intro *L*

Considering you haven't posted since the 06/Sept/2010 a few days after you joined a very belated welcome to the forum from me.

Clunk
27th March 2013, 09:32 PM
I love it even more when everyone else jumps in afterwards on auto pilot to do the big welcome!!!!!! Hahahaha

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

taslucas
27th March 2013, 10:35 PM
I love it even more when everyone else jumps in afterwards on auto pilot to do the big welcome!!!!!! Hahahaha

They are all just shallow words!

FanTapstic!

Clunk
27th March 2013, 10:37 PM
They are all just shallow words!

FanTapstic!

Shallow with a capital SHA!!!! LOL

Dhuck
27th March 2013, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Maxhead
28th March 2013, 07:20 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

my third 256
28th March 2013, 02:53 PM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

BigRAWesty
28th March 2013, 06:24 PM
You guys are still welcoming a 3 year old op... Spammers... Lol :rolleyes:

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

yonga23
29th March 2013, 05:02 PM
MAF problems and just blew an alternator

pjbim10
30th March 2013, 02:20 PM
Welcome, although the right choice was delayed. PJM

PMC
30th March 2013, 03:01 PM
G'day blc12,

Welcome aboard this great forum mate.

PS, I hope you find all the relevant info you need to help and assist with your Patrol!

Regards,

RLI