PDA

View Full Version : Electircal gremlins

HippoNZ
4th January 2012, 06:50 AM
Hi guys,

I have a problem that when sometimes I go through water, only needs to be 30cm deep I get water somewhere that turns my left indicator on. Then sometimes the indicator comes on only when I activate the driving lights. But while those lights are on and I go to use the indicator my break lights start flashing as though I'm having a rave on the go lol

My question is, where abouts is water getting that I need to water proof better for this to be happening.

Once dried out it comes back to normal, sometimes takes a day or so depending on the conditions.

Cheers and happy new year!
Brett

Robo
4th January 2012, 10:40 AM
It it raining at the same time ?.

the evil twin
4th January 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd be checking the Trailer Plug (if you have one) and the loom, bulb holders and the earthing of both the front and rear indicators.

Keep an eye out for any corroding on the wiring as that will react differently between when it is wet and dry

Trying to keep the water out is treating the symptom not curing the problem so if you can sort out the actual fault you are better off.

Robo
4th January 2012, 11:09 AM
Sounds like water coming through windscreen seal and drippen down under dash and making contact with a harness and creating a short.
Try getting a friend to spray/hose water over windscreen and get a torch and stick your head under dash and see if you can find a leak.
GQ, MQ, MK, use the same type of windscreen seal and they fail in a number of different ways so it highly possible this is this cause.
For the blinkers and brakes to have this problem at same time good chance problem is either under dash or even in the trailer plug if you have one on the car.
If its not raining when this happens then check plug first and the connections made for it. easy place to start.
But if your getting spray coming over the bonnet then good chance it's also finding it's way through windscreen seal, or even a vent to think of it but unlikly, but you never know.
Even the pillar mt aerial can be the cause, I've had this 1 happen
A mate of mine had a flasher can full of water recently, blinkers just stuck on.
So there's a few places to look I recon you'll find the problem here.
And while your'e looking at trailer plug, If you find those dreaded scotch locks have been used to make connections these cause a number of problems also, get rid of em and solder them and cover with self emalgermate tape.

Good luck.

HippoNZ
5th January 2012, 09:08 AM
Not so sure were the earthing is for the indicators (you could say im challenged in this department lol) but I do have a trailor plug at the rear minus the plug cause I broke it off somewhere while 4wdn. Currently it's just dangling there with exposed wire ends. This is where I'll start then. Thanks for the help so far.

tinkerer
13th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Hi there,
Have you tried the earthing points? Common electrical gremlins, eg, indicators illuminating when you put your brakes on etc, etc.. A high resistance joint can cause all sorts of mischief. The majority of problems by experience are found at earthing points in the boots of the cars, but any moisture can dramatically change the resistance of a poor joint.. One suggestion might be to feel around the earth joint either with your hand or a Infrared Thermometer, (can be found on Ebay etc for very little money).. A misbehaving joint can be found easily by find one with a raised temperature, indicating a high resistance. Simply dis-assemble, clean and re-assemble using a little vaseline..
These are my experiences, but it works and is worth checking from time to time to rule problems out..

Hope this helps,

Regards,