PDA

View Full Version : MK Patrol 1985..I just bought

cybernout10
3rd January 2012, 02:25 AM
I just bought this MK over the net without seeing....1985 petrol 2.8 manual. hope to collect it this weekend.

gqpew
3rd January 2012, 03:24 AM
Hey mate,

Noticed that this was your first post. Welcome to the site :)

How many K's is on the rig? Also is it Diesel or Petrol?

cybernout10
3rd January 2012, 09:52 AM
Yeh....newbie here. Excited bout the rig. Its a petrol and shows 300km on the speedo pics. Womdering what would go wrong at this mileage....

DX grunt
3rd January 2012, 10:02 AM
G'day and welcome aboard.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Silver
3rd January 2012, 10:35 AM
looks pretty good for its age in the photos, cybernought. I had an L28 engined '82 wagon. Rust was the biggest problem it had :-)

cybernout10
3rd January 2012, 10:37 PM
Read somewhere in the forum trannies get busted when they get to 300K...any comment much appreciated.

qdłaty
4th January 2012, 08:31 AM
hi man, nice ride, looks realy good, wish I have wheel holder like you have on a tail- in europe cant find one- no way...

Clunk
4th January 2012, 11:42 AM
doesn't look to bad for it's age mate......... welcome to the forum

AB
4th January 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah mate that looks in good shape for It's age...Well done and welcome to the forum!

MQ MAD
12th January 2012, 01:43 PM
Read somewhere in the forum trannies get busted when they get to 300K...any comment much appreciated.

Not likely
Dont get the 2.8 dreaded issues you read confused here

You have an L28 engined patrol , these are the same 2.8 petrols in the nissan Z cars,very very robust engines and looove to rev
Most of 2.8 issues you read mostly regard to the RD28 (2.8 diesel) in the later GU series
Yours will have a remote tranfer case being a LWB,these transfer case are in demand and can handle tuff V8s power running threw them
The only downside with the L28 powered MQ/MKs are there love of fuel , very thirsty, but that aside keep the services up , and theyll go forever

Punderhead
7th March 2012, 11:18 PM
So have you seen it yet?

Cheers

Finly Owner
7th March 2012, 11:36 PM
Very nice Rig Glad the the ol MK's are available over there.

Tim

cybernout10
10th March 2012, 05:50 AM
Yeah.. the rig at home. gave it a good interior clean at the shop and changed a few things and she is running fine. will load some more pic here..now looking out for a y60 which I have not seen any here...

cybernout10
10th March 2012, 05:57 AM
Ooops sorry MK61 i mean sorry for the typo..

Silver
10th March 2012, 08:04 AM
Not likely
Dont get the 2.8 dreaded issues you read confused here

You have an L28 engined patrol , these are the same 2.8 petrols in the nissan Z cars,very very robust engines and looove to rev
Most of 2.8 issues you read mostly regard to the RD28 (2.8 diesel) in the later GU series
Yours will have a remote tranfer case being a LWB,these transfer case are in demand and can handle tuff V8s power running threw them
The only downside with the L28 powered MQ/MKs are there love of fuel , very thirsty, but that aside keep the services up , and theyll go forever

I don't know about the really new GUs, but I think all petrol patrols have a drinking problem :-) Mine certainly does.

Never heard anything about manual transmission problems with L28 MQs.

Sounds like a collection is either starting, or being built on :-) if so, nice work!

cybernout10
11th March 2012, 04:18 AM
Anyone knows of a G60 lurking somewhere in malaysia...either dead or alive ...please let me know.....

dwrjr
12th April 2012, 12:02 PM
Hi, nice looking that. I recently got an 86 MK like it, but with SD33T engine. Also with the wheel holder on the back.
Had an Aussie-built Nissan Skyline fastback in perfect nick that I had to part with couple of years ago. It had the L28 engine, with fuel injection. Fantastic engine, never a problem. Except for twice. each time that I was showing it to a potential buyer. Obviously the car didn't want to change owners. The first time, it wouldn't start, only time ever it did that. I told the buyer, and he said 'thanks for wasting my time', and left angrily. Second time, I was making sure everything was ok while waiting for the buyer. My 4 year old was bored, so I gave him a screwdriver to play mechanic with. Buyer showed up, started the car, drove off to test it. I noticed lots of smoke from exhaust as he left. A long, long time later, he came back, said he'd buy it, but did I know my distributor cap was loose. Guess what my 4 year old had done while I wasn't watching?
Only thing about that car, it drank petrol like a sailor on leave drinks beer. I wouldn't have minded at 80's fuel prices..

Johan Safari
13th April 2012, 08:29 AM
Welcome!

My L28 MQ use 30% plus less fuel than my 4.2 GQ! Luckily it is on LPG. Bonus!

When I'm done restoring my MQ, I would like it to look as good is this find.

cybernout10
20th April 2012, 03:39 PM
Hi Johan

I am interested in adding an NGV kit to my Patrol. Did you encounter any problems as regards power or needing frequent tuning of carburettor etc etc. BTW your name (Johan = winner... in local language)

Johan Safari
21st April 2012, 02:00 PM
"Winner!!!!" Cool, I like that! What language is that?

Wear and tear is the only thing that would make both the carby and the points require regular adjustment. Shaft play in the distributor or a too strong coil or a bad electrical connection for the points. Also a stuffed condensor. Carby is probably dirt or butterfly shafts or adjustments screws damaged by over tightening damaging the point. Makes it very hard to adjust properly. I always add an inline filter as close as possible to the carby, but be careful of heat issues. I prefer Weber carbies or EFI.
I am not familiar with the NGV kit?

Hi Johan

I am interested in adding an NGV kit to my Patrol. Did you encounter any problems as regards power or needing frequent tuning of carburettor etc etc. BTW your name (Johan = winner... in local language)

Ric
22nd April 2012, 02:03 PM

I would not worry too much. From 85 on they had ironed out all the steering & suspension problems and it will no doubt be a 5 speed so should be a good strong box with a good strong Transfer case.
The only problems I am aware of is if they have been used towing in 5th gear a lot they can wear and sometimes pop out of top gear.
First job should be to drop all the oils (gearbox, Transfer, Both Diffs and Engine) out and inspect them for water ingress and fill with new oil. Starting fresh you know whats in them.

Check around windscreen/firewall and also Front floors where the body is bolted to the chassis as well as the Radiator supports for rust. The other spot is around the rear side windows.

Looks like a nice ride.

Cheers Ric

misha1973
16th March 2013, 01:08 AM
Johan, how much you L28 with LPG consumes? I am considering getting one here, with LPG.

meakinelli
18th December 2018, 12:36 AM
looks good mate. i am in the same boat, i bought mine from a mate but had no idea even which model it was. going to be on the forum jolly often pestering you guys i think! best wishes