PDA

View Full Version : Solid Flywheel & Safari Clutch on ZD30 - DONE!!

guterra
31st December 2011, 09:01 PM
Just a little report / feedback for those who have a dual mass flywheel that needs attention, and don't know whether to convert it to single, or go with another expensive dual mass. Here is what I think of it after a few weeks of driving...

The kit I went with was the Exedy Solid flywheel with Safari Tuff Clutch.

First of all - If you like your nice touring smooth shifting feel. Forget it. Still good changing gears, but a lot more 'feedback' through the stick.

Secondly - Road noise is considerably a lot louder at highway speeds. Thats ok, lift the carpet and dynamat (sound deaden) the tunnel and floor. Big difference, slightly quieter than before.

Thirdly - Gearbox Chatter. No dought about it, the gearbox chatter is very noticeable. It was expected, as the dual mass flywheels job was to dampen the ZDs harmonics that cause this. This just means that approaching intersections at 1000rpm in 3rd gear is no longer an option. Change down a gear and all is good.

Fourthly - Damage to driveline? I am aware of the extra vibrations through the gearbox, and down the driveline, but really? These gearboxes are the same in the 4.2s that nissan have been using for years now, and the 4.2s never had the dual mass fitted. They aren't exactly known as a smooth box with those engines. As long as your careful and not constantly dumping the clutch, you wouldn't even tell the difference.

Conclusion - Although this isn't for someone who admires a smooth feel about the box (where talking 4wds here alright!), the more prominent "direct drive" aspect to it I like. If I had my chances again, I would do the same conversion.

Hopefully this report will guide others into what to do when the time comes, as I found a lot of information about the conversion, but not enough feedback afterwards.

Cheers

Philbo
13th February 2012, 12:17 AM
How much weight difference is there between the standard flywheel and the new one?

Philbo
16th February 2012, 01:34 PM
I can see the benefits if someone was to lighten up a flywheel, but I wouldn't try it on a cast iron 2 piece one.

macca86
16th February 2012, 01:59 PM
I have it too and save big cost of clutches and flywheels as you have to slip the clutch more with a zd30 when towing or hill starts comparded to the 4.2. bogs down if you don't give her enough revs. Problem should be solved with my safari d tronic chip I'm just installed

aaron
16th February 2012, 10:57 PM
mate i thort the gu 3.0l and the gu 2.8l have a smaller box then the 4.2l ?

macca86
17th February 2012, 01:48 PM
mate i thort the gu 3.0l and the gu 2.8l have a smaller box then the 4.2l ?

the 3.0 has the same box and diffs as the 4.2makes for an easy conversion if you cook a 3.0 just a few bits and peices apparently

anyfin
28th December 2013, 06:35 AM
Hi, I found this thread very helpful.

I have a 2002 3lt and it has developed a rumbling in the box/clutch when changing down, clutch depressed.

Thrust bearing is my uneducated guess.

I use my truck as an every day drive with almost no offroad. Purchased it to tow the boat.

For these reasons smooth and quiet appeals to me even at the increased purchase price.

The truck has 218000 ks on it, 52000 in 2004 when I purchased it, and has been a pleasure to own.

At 53 yrs old, I can see us hanging on to this vehicle for many years to come and with the wife driving it on occasions, smooth and quite sounds good, happy wife, happy life.

thanks again

anyfin
Doug

seekers282
1st March 2014, 01:59 PM
Im planning on changing my y61 zd30 engine to 4.2 with manual gearbox..should i change the pinion gear or is it the same pinion gear as zd30?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

ThomasWatson
3rd March 2014, 08:57 PM
All the main drive train parts are the same between the ZD and the 4.2 so you shouldn't have to change the pinion gear

anyfin
5th April 2014, 08:38 AM
I spoke to a coupe of mechanics about this issue and they both recommended the solid flywheel heavy duty clutch option.

I discussed the findings from guterra s post and they were adamant that the solid flywheel was the way to go.

I had the clutch,flywheel replaced on Tuesday and went as per the recommendations.

I would like to report that my smooth, joy to drive every day Patrol, is now a noisy vibrating truck.

I am trying different driving styles to improve the noise vibrations but to no effect as yet.

One real bug bear is the noise-vibration that occurs between 2750-3100 revs, which just happens to be around the 110klph in 5th gear.

Very disappointed :(

Wetty
13th April 2014, 05:10 AM
Just did mine with a solid flywheel and H/D clutch, notice the shudder if using the wrong gears to go round corners and the like at slow speeds, but no obvious extra cabin noise and no obvious difference in gear changes. . . . .I am however obviously aware of how much smaller my bank account looks after fitting a new 3" stainless exhaust, chip, flywheel and clutch, tyres. . . . . .
:blowup: