PDA

View Full Version : Auto Hub switch GU ?

Lewy
31st December 2011, 03:26 PM
G'day all,

I'm after a way to be able to turn off the Auto hubs so that I can pop it in to low range to reverse trailers up drive ways, etc with out it being in 4wd. I know I can get manual hubs for it but do like the auto ones. So does anyone know if there is a way to put a switch in to turn them off and on at will from in the cab???

Lewy

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2011, 03:36 PM
Why do you not want it 2 be in 4WD?

I have never heard of such a device for auto or manual hubs.

Lewy
31st December 2011, 03:50 PM
Because when your in 4wd it binds up and is not good for it wile on the bitumen.. And you wouldn't need it for manual hubs.. But there must be a way to stop it knowing you have selected 4wd.. I would have thought there must be a switch on the transfer case that gets triggered when putting it in to 4wd unless I'm not understanding how the auto hubs work?? This could be the case too never had auto hubs before LOL

YNOT
31st December 2011, 04:13 PM
The auto hubs are mechanically activated by axle rotation, there is no electronic/hydraulic/vacuum activation of any sort.
You could try removing the auto locking part of the hub which will convert them to a manual hub. Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2011, 04:19 PM
I dont think putting it in 4WD and reversing a trailer up a driveway would do any harm.

There are a few threads on here re auto hubs and how they work.

If you have trouble finding them just sing out. Sorry just don't have the time at the moment 2 search for them

Cheers

Todd

Edit: and Tony has a good right up on auto hubs :)

Lewy
31st December 2011, 04:27 PM
Wow Ok cool Well I feel a little silly LOL I was so hoping it was a electronic thing.. But it dose make sense to be mechanical...
Cheers for the info guys and the link Tony

Lewy

my third 256
1st January 2012, 10:03 AM
when reversing the auto hubs disengage anyway

the evil twin
1st January 2012, 01:32 PM
when reversing the auto hubs disengage anyway

Uuuuummm... no they don't. The Auto hubs will lock just fine forwards or reverse in 4WD.

Perhaps you are thinking of when you move the vehicle in the "reverse direction" in two wheel drive to ensure the hubs are unlocked after engagement.

If you select 4WD H or L then the Hubs will definitely lock unless they are completely stuffed

NissanGQ4.2
1st January 2012, 03:13 PM
Uuuuummm... no they don't. The Auto hubs will lock just fine forwards or reverse in 4WD.

Perhaps you are thinking of when you move the vehicle in the "reverse direction" in two wheel drive to ensure the hubs are unlocked after engagement.

If you select 4WD H or L then the Hubs will definitely lock unless they are completely stuffed

x 2 with ET, Auto hubs do not disengage while engaged in 4WD and in reverse.

my third 256
2nd January 2012, 08:30 AM
sorry about that yes i did mean to put in that is what happens to disengage when in 2wd
gee you boys are on the mark

davejones
21st February 2012, 04:38 PM
Better in 4wd anyway in low range. You are putting twice as much torque through one set of axles doing what you suggest. Not really an issue on the patrols but on some vehicles known for having weak axles it could be an issue. As long as you aren't doing a lot of turning you shouldn't experience transmission wind up.

Dave

Rip'n'Shred
21st February 2012, 05:41 PM
Just trading in a mazda BT50. They have electronic hubs, so not a silly question at all. i have put a switch in for exactly this reason.

Will be going manual hubs myself in new patrol coming. Wind up is horrible to your driveline.