PDA

View Full Version : Electrical wire hanging out the back

gqpew
31st December 2011, 12:56 AM
Just wondering what both wires at the back are for. There is the one with the blue ended wrapping on the end to the left and and white one near the tow bar.

Clunk
31st December 2011, 01:10 AM
are all you're rear lights working? Or are all the wires connected to your trailer plug?

gqpew
31st December 2011, 01:13 AM
Only the right brake light isn't working on the bar part. I had a hard time removing the old globe which had the bayonet semi-rusted into the socket. I tried a new globe and I've still had no luck. I'm thinking this could be an electrical issue since the left brake light works fine.

pod
31st December 2011, 01:17 AM
try tracing them back to their source,you will probably find the wrapped up one is a live wire ..

Clunk
31st December 2011, 01:17 AM
have a look to see what colour cable goes to your left brake light, you right brake light cable may have come loose or disconnected somewhere...............

gqpew
31st December 2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking closely at those wires tomorrow to see where they lead.

@clunk71: It shouldn't be a fuse because the left one works fine. I'm hoping no major electrical work needs to be done to get this right one working :)

gqpew
31st December 2011, 06:33 PM
Still no luck connecting both wires together and the socket seems to be rusted inside. Can anyone recommend an auto electrician in Perth?

Clunk
31st December 2011, 07:17 PM
I was kind of hoping that one of the electrical gurus might see this mate and help ya out................... hang tight and I'm sure one of them will be along soonish

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2011, 07:24 PM
Is the "blue ended wrapping wire" also white??

Yendor
31st December 2011, 07:44 PM
If the bulb socket is corroded this could be why the new bulb doesn't work, the bulb needs to earth through the socket side wall.

You will need to and clean the socket up as best as possible and spray with WD40.

If the socket is to bad you may need to replace it.

Also checked that the wires are still connected on the back of the socket.

gqpew
31st December 2011, 08:19 PM
Is the "blue ended wrapping wire" also white??

Yes they are both the same white colour.

@Yendor: The wire is still connected on the back of the brake light socket. I've tried Silicone spray which did free up some of the rust.

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2011, 08:32 PM
I would do as pod suggested and just trace the wire you might even find the cut wire on the left is the same @ the tow bar.

Can't see it in the pic do you have a trailer plug on it?

gqpew
31st December 2011, 08:46 PM
I would do as pod suggested and just trace the wire you might even find the cut wire on the left is the same @ the tow bar.

Can't see it in the pic do you have a trailer plug on it?

It does have a trailer plug on it :)

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2011, 09:16 PM
It does have a trailer plug on it :)

Hook a trailer up and if all lights work and after you fix your other light problem................pull the wire out.......obviously it does nothing

You could have 100 wires doing nothing in your rig, depending upon what gadgets previous owners have installed