PDA

View Full Version : Condamine trip New Years Eve

Silver
28th December 2011, 05:38 PM
G'day,

Usher out the old year the way you hope to spend the new - wet and dirty :-)

We are planning to leave from BP 43 High Street Boonah at 10:00 a.m. - we'll be following the Dirty Weekends route from our 4th edition. It is only about 130ks, crossing the Condamine 14 times, and we'll end up at Maroon - last time we scooted across to Aratula and home that way.

This was a pretty easy trip last time, although the more adventurous found side tracks a little more challenging.

We will be stopping lots to let the kid out, and to take photos.

Aiming for lunch at Queen Mary Falls. There's a cafe, and BBQs.

Company very welcome - read AB's post about the fact that we each undertake this trip at our own risk.

UHF Channel 17.

If it buckets down between now and then the Council may close the road - but I don't think that's on the cards

Look forward to seeing you!!

Silver.

Silver
29th December 2011, 07:06 PM
bump..........

Silver
1st January 2012, 02:42 AM
Had a very relaxing day today, starting off with a look at the BP in case anyone was there - then poked our noses into the interesting camping shop at the other end of Boonah's main drag. Met up with the other couple in their GU. Some small items purchased and a tourist map provided by the friendly staff.

Did the usual figure of 8 - 4wd definitely not required. That stretch of shallow grey goop that we encountered a month ago was dry, with holes and ruts and only the occasional sign of its former sloppy self.

The falls - Queen Mary and Daggs were looking great with plenty of water going over them. Lots of photos taken. The sky ranged from grey, misty and moody to bright blue with fluffy white clouds, and lovely evening light.

Got back in time for a nice low key New Year's Eve with friends and neighbours - first time Nipper has stayed up until midnight for NYE, so she was happy, tomorrow may be another story - tired and grumpy 6 year old. Hope not :-)

patch697
1st January 2012, 02:46 AM
Sounds like a ripper day trip there Silver& we'd all love to see some of those piccies when you get the chance mate.

Clunk
1st January 2012, 02:46 AM
so where's the foties then Silver??????? lol

Silver
1st January 2012, 03:06 AM
Loverly Wife, on here as The Cook, took the pics - no playing with camera tonight - with a bit of luck may be in the next few days :-)

Clunk
1st January 2012, 03:11 AM
Loverly Wife, on here as The Cook, took the pics - no playing with camera tonight - with a bit of luck may be in the next few days :-)

ahhhhhh that ol' chestnut hey!!!??? lol

Silver
1st January 2012, 03:18 AM
ahhhhhh that ol' chestnut hey!!!??? lol

Loverly wife's camera is one of those newfangled digital things - so far, so good, can look at the piccies on the back and keep the good ones - however it also has a mode where it takes multiple shots per second, the idea being that you keep the good ones. Luckily this mostly only gets deployed for splashy creek crossings etc. On top of that a couple of courses have been done, so there has been a lot of button fiddling and experimenting.

I have enough frustration in my life without wading through that lot :-)

That said, I have seen more than a couple of good ones on the little screen already, and the other couple took a few good ones too - same courses and same issues though!

The Cook
2nd January 2012, 01:35 PM
Here are a few selected photos . . . . who would believe that we had a "white out" in Queensland on NYE :newyear: ?

For those who were on the last trip you might remember the dam - less water in it now. Farmer is on his tractor in the background (though it looks just like a blue blob).

Found a few interesting spots along the track. Our friend spotted the fungus so we tried out our recently acquired "skills" (we both went to a photography course just before Christmas).

Also tried to capture reflections in the still water on one of the creek crossings. The roads were mostly dry - only a few small holes of water. Not as much fun as the slippery mud on the last trip :(.

growler2058
2nd January 2012, 01:47 PM
Nice looking country there silver

Clunk
2nd January 2012, 01:52 PM
great stuff Silver, cheers mate

Woof
2nd January 2012, 02:06 PM
Great photos there, looks like a great place for trip

Silver
2nd January 2012, 03:42 PM
To save me a beating Clunk, loverly wife, on here as The Cook, took the photos.

Dogman, yes, very scenic, but no hard four wheeling that I know of - and didn't need the stubby lever at all on this trip.