PDA

View Full Version : Hi all I'm new and seeking advice on a cooling system prob (may have damaged TB42E)..

cja_y60
1st September 2010, 12:17 PM
Hi All

I’ve just joined and this is my first post on the Nissan Patrol forum

Recently my wife and son (who’s on L’s) took my old 93 GQ ST wag (TB42E) for a burble around the back of the range near home. My son was driving (lucky me) and noticed that temp gauge was way up where it shouldn’t be!! They pulled over, let it cool and put about 4 - 5 lts of water in, then drove back home with out drama.. On looking over the engine I found that a couple of those small Welch plugs down near the lower edge of the TB42 block had corroded through (exhaust manifold side). Not happy with myself for missing that one, all of the other Welch plugs look fine and I’ve always used good coolant. The radiator, thermostat and all hoses were replaced in 2008 and I check levels regularly.

Not sure as to the extent of any damage but I’m planning on pulling the engine out now as the rest of the Welch plugs will need changing. The head needs to come off too as there was a leak at the front near the thermo housing / mating surface but it’s gone now (not enough pressure I guess)? May be cracked as well? Motor has done 350,000 Km’s and it’s mated to a 4 Speed Electronic Auto (yes it’s a softy)..

Getting a plan of attack together now so any advice would be appreciated. :)

Chris

patch697
1st September 2010, 12:34 PM
G/day Chris, glad to have you on board.

Ok given its age(kms) before pulling it out I would be looking at things like doing a compression test to determine the health of the engine. No point in pulling it out to do welsh plugs & refitting it if the engines almost due for a rebuild.

If it is almost due to be rebuilt I'd consider just changing the few affected welsh plugs to get it though until your ready to rebuild or fit a good second hand engine.

Just something to think about.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
1st September 2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with Paul, if the engine is still running OK just replace the welch plugs and keep driving it. Your engine "should" be OK if your son caught it while the temp gauge was still up, it's when the temp gauge goes up then comes down on its own that the damage is usually done. (The gauge will drop when you loose all the coolant.)

Tony

cja_y60
1st September 2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks Paul and Tony :)

Yes the engine still sounds OK and I'll suss the compression etc out..
I ran the motor for a little while over the weekend and couldn't see any bubbling up in the top tank, put the cap on and let it come up to temp then..

Apart from a steady drip from those welch plugs it seems OK, the motor does have a little knocking in it on start up after a long sit but it's not bad.
Also makes a dull "irregular" clunking noise when cold, not loud but there, especially if facing down a slope but this goes away when warmed up (maybe end float)!?

Thanks again
Chris

Finly Owner
1st September 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi and welcome Chris

DX grunt
4th September 2010, 12:57 AM
G'day Chris.

Welcome to the forum.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt